Myth Or Fact? Once Beer Is Cold It Should Stay Cold?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have been wondering about this myself. I have only one beer fridge which plays the roles of fermenting fridge and keg fridge. I will brew a lager this wek, which means raising the temp of the fridge from 4 to 11 degrees while it ferments for two weeks (during this time I will consume beer from bottles as 11 degrees is too warm for me to drink. Am hoping this won't affect the kegged beer?

Your kegged beer will be fine.

One guy I know that works on the distribution side at CUB says you should not cycle the temperature of CUB's product, he says it has to do with the stability of the preservative added that then impacts the taste profile. (Not saying this is correct or accurate, just passing on what I have been told).

From my perspective, this makes little to no sense. Reactions tend not to take place "because" of cycling the temperature, but rather they speed up or slow down dependant on temperature.

I'm with others on this thread that I think the myth has been perpetuated by the magebrewers themselves in an attempt to increase shelf life (i.e. once its chilled, it has to stay chilled).

But if true, it will have no impact on our homebrews cause we don't use preservatives LOL

Treat it like it's milk.

First post, although lurking for a long time....

When bottled, my beers (60 x stubbies at a time) go into old Balfour's crates for handling and then into a shed. They are covered by thick black plastic (just in case) but then left to the temperature changes that Adelaide offers.

Currently, there are 12 batches cycling through - that means 720+ beers - sitting in the shed, with the oldest ones consumed first. Even if I go (way too) hard and knock off a batch in a weekend, there is still a considerable time spent in the shed.

Until now - 6 years into my brewing "career" - there has only been the occasional funny tasting or smelling beer, and these have been easy to spot.

There is no protection for this shed, and in the middle of summer it is BLOODY hot.

BTW, all batches are created from the exact same Coopers Draught + Dextrose mixture.

Hmmmmm...

I'm more intrigued by the idea that you've never once varied your recipe in 6+ years.

Personally my beers stay in the shed too, whatever the weather but I do have a nice variety to choose from unless I've been lazy.

Guys,

There are a couple of things at play here, one I understand and one I don't.

The first is that chemical reactions (most if not sll as I understand it) speed up as temperature increases. This is actually an exponential, not linear, relationship, so for every degree C higher the reaction rate doubles (it might even be a factor of 10 - I don't quite recall). So storiing at higher temperatures, even in kegs that have been perfectly purges of oxygen, will result in any staling reactions accelerating, thus reducing the life your beer.

The second is trickier. As has been pointed out, cycling increases the ageing process. This was actually picked up by the wine industry, who were flumoxed when wine vintages started deviating from past experience with respect to the development off characteristic flavor profiles. They tracked it down to the increased use of temperature controlled environments which were inhibiting the aging process.

In this second case I haven't done the research to understand the chemical processes involved, but I'll have to make an effort now that it's come up :)

Cheers!

Andy

It's a 10 Kelvin rise ~ doubled reaction rate. ;)

Thanks! Memory wasn't too bad then - order of magintude and units... (long time since high school :) )

Bump.

Wondering if there is any new thoughts/opinions on this? I'm in the unique situation currently where I have alot of beer in the fermentation fridge left from the previous brew and the next brew is ready for cold crashing then bottling. Previous brew has been bottled and conditioned at 18 degrees for the past 3 weeks, new brew has finished and ready to be cold crashed. By the time I reach cold crash stage the fridge is usually well and truly empty. There is also a couple of 6 packs of commercial beers in the ferment fridge as I always figure it's better to store them there than somewhere with a fluctuating temperature or possible UV exposure.

So is there anything that could affect those bottles that are currently conditioning at 18 degrees, then dropping temp to 1 degree for 3 days before going back to 18 to condition the new batch, then chill back down to drink? Scientific or otherwise?

Cheers.

What does the most harm (well apart from being really hot) is cycling above and below the temperature where chill haze forms. Every time you form temporary or chill haze, some of it doesn't de-couple and becomes permanent haze. There is even a stability test that uses temp cycling to measure stability.
There are other problems with holding beer hot - main one being that everything happens faster hotter, in this case all the aging and staling processes that will eventually detract from the beer flavour.

Moving the temperature up or down a couple of degrees (as above) around 18oC isn't going to do much if any harm.
Mark

Thanks Mark, from what I understand chill haze has no effect on taste anyway. I generally prefer hazy beers as I've only been making ales for now... I was actually a little dissapointed at how clear my last beer was when I used gelatin for the first time!

jimi said:
Cold to warm then cold again = "foxy" or at least thats what I recall the shearers calling it back when I was a young rousie and my old man (whose a non-drinker) and other cockies would serve shearers and the shed crew up old beers for the "cut out" at the end of the shed. These beers had been chilled then let warm (probably a few times).
'Foxy' is a good descriptor, it's kind of reminds you of the smell down a fox hole. I've only tasted it in commercial beers when the beers were treated quiet dodgily. UV could be the issue I've only tasted it a couple of times and the last time was ages ago. I've never experienced it in home brew and don't think it will be a hassel for you.
I'm guessing that's what the American's would call "skunked". Isn't that UV light on the hops?

ref: http://www.professorbeer.com/articles/skunked_beer.html

"The hop compounds that are responsible for making beer bitter are called isomerized alpha-acids. These chemicals, along with sulfur compounds found in beer, are also culpable in beer skunking. When light hits beer, it provides the energy necessary to drive a reaction that transforms the iso-alpha-acids into 3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol. The “thiol” part of that somewhat cumbersome name indicates that there is sulfur present. Sulfur compounds often have strong, offensive aromas. Some musteline animals, like skunks, have evolved the ability to produce this chemical, and use it for self-defense."

One of my best beers ever, not that I would be repeating it any time soon:

Dusseldorf Alt, made in a September a few years ago for Xmas drinking. Lagered for a few weeks as per the method for Alts, it had a distinct twang of something you'd expect to find in a Huggies Nappy, or perhaps a mouthful of Orc flesh.

I omitted to chuck it out... I used to have 13 kegs back then and it just sort of got missed out in the queue. Next February after being in the corner of the garage I found it and hooked it up again just out of curiosity.

Glorious.

I have a theory, and Im sticking to it. If you buy a 6 pack warm off the shelf and after chilling for a day or 3 they taste a bit ordinary, leave them in the fridge for 3 or 4 or however more and they will taste better. In some cases a hell of a lot better.

I subscribe to the theory.

Once had a case that was bought cold, half case consumed on the night it was bought and was fine. Was then left on the porch of a holiday place in the country that gets cold at night (near 0) and warmish during the day up in the 15-20 range. Returned to the beer a week later and it tasted like crap.

JonnyAnchovy said:
UUUUUGGGHHHRRRR. I wish there was a rage emoticon.
yeah cause the antarctic has record levels of sea ice? ohhh thats right global warming has long been debunked thats why they resort to a much easier to fool the sheep climate change moniker

Without wanting to delve too much into your climate scepticism, you are responding to a post from 8 years ago.

Back