My Disappointment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbirbeck

Reaction score
My Brother was good enough to try and get me a pre-packed full mash kit from his local brew shop, it was one that I wanted and had previously made as a part mash pack and enjoyed (3kg grain and a tin o goo). he was told it would take a while to pack so he ordered (on a Thursday) and was told it would be ready saturday...and that given he wasn't going to be able to make it back in until Monday, there would be one there for him.
So he went back in on Monday to be told it had been sold to someone else and he couldn't get another one done. The bloke then sold him an extract pack...tin o goo, dry malt and some dark grain...WTF??? How can anyone possibly consider selling an extract and very basic pack with one hop addition to someone that had ordered AG that had 4 hop additions... Knob.
So, needless to say I won't go back there, and my brother who went through a bit of stress and trouble to get the right thing will be highly unlikely to do the same thing again at that store...perhaps anywhere.

<snip> he was told it would take a while to pack so he ordered (on a Thursday) and was told it would be ready saturday </snip>
Am I missing something, or does three days seem a little long to crush a grain bill? Perhaps I'm just spoiled by my LHBS owner, 'cause I get grain crushed on the spot. Walk in, get all-grain supplies, walk out. 10 mins (plus chatting time of course).

As for selling an extract substitute - if the LHBS somehow wasn't able to supply grains, this would probably be the next best thing. Did your brother make any objections to this sale? If not, I'm sure the owner would have gladly sold this to him.

Your location isn't in your info, but perhaps there is a better store you can go to/order from?

Yup, walked into Ross's store before christmas to pick up a heavy order I had placed and walked out half an hour later with an extra crate of goodies that Ross's boy ground up and assembled etc on the spot for me.

Like I say there should be an inscription over the doorway "Abandon all dough ye who enter here" :p

Also SWMBO was sitting in the car out front and they said "are you going to have enough room for all this stuff?"
That's ok I said, she can get a cab back to Bribie B)

Agree with Quantum
retailers who seel AG supplies are normally much better than than

Your brother and yourself definately need to find a better supplier or try on of the sponsors, or even beerbelly

I've found myself a better supplier with fab service and great range, no worries there, used them mostly in recent months. Just happens had used this store before a couple of years ago, was reasonably happy and its reasonably convenient for my brother so had recommended it as a place to get the pre-made pack done for his convenience (I've got a recipe of my own now so generally don't need predone stuff)
Supplier has grains, and plenty of them, just takes him forever to get things organised...extract def not the next best thing there. Bro objected and voiced his disapproval but with limited time (both b4 christmas and on lunch break during which he drove to the store) and limited knowldged of the difference between the two he went with the 'recommendation'. He was still pissed on Christmas day and apologised to me a lot.

<snip> ...extract def not the next best thing there. </snip>
Next best to doing AG? Tin o' Goo, DME and grains is enough to get a partial going. If you're disappointed by the single addition of hops, all it takes is to buy some more. I'm not sure I understand what you thought could be any better than that, short of AG itself. What exactly would you have preferred the owner to suggest to your brother?

I don't mean to sound offensive, but it sounds like your brother has got you a pretty decent present given the circumstances, and you've gone and pi$ed all over it. I'd still be pretty stoked if someone bought me a partial kit, even if it wasn't what I'd hoped. If he didn't want the kit, he really didn't have to take it, and I reckon it's a pretty reasonable 'next best thing.' If your complaint is just that the shop couldn't fill the order, that's a genuine complaint, but I'm really not sure what else you expected the owner to do?

Rather than digging out my flame suit, I'll use the great aussie 'out' ... "no offence, mate."

Tin o' Goo, DME and grains is enough to get a partial going.

This does not necessarily make a partial....if the grains are just steeping grains, which from the context I presume they are, (probably choc or crystal or both) then it gives an extract with specialty grains.....a far cry from a partial, which will have a significant proportion of the fermentable sugars produced in a mash of base grain. Differant animal altogether.

Getting out of beerbelly in under an hour has gotta be a record :lol:

Next best to doing AG? Tin o' Goo, DME and grains is enough to get a partial going. If you're disappointed by the single addition of hops, all it takes is to buy some more. I'm not sure I understand what you thought could be any better than that, short of AG itself. What exactly would you have preferred the owner to suggest to your brother?

I don't mean to sound offensive, but it sounds like your brother has got you a pretty decent present given the circumstances, and you've gone and pi$ed all over it. I'd still be pretty stoked if someone bought me a partial kit, even if it wasn't what I'd hoped. If he didn't want the kit, he really didn't have to take it, and I reckon it's a pretty reasonable 'next best thing.' If your complaint is just that the shop couldn't fill the order, that's a genuine complaint, but I'm really not sure what else you expected the owner to do?

Rather than digging out my flame suit, I'll use the great aussie 'out' ... "no offence, mate."

no offence taken. My disappointment is not with the gift (I'll swap out the DME for base grain), but with the service...firstly for selling the pre-ordered product then for selling the unsuspecting buyer a 'poor' substitute. said store operator should have at first instance done up another pack of the requested product (or not sold it in the first place) to replace the one that was done for my bro, if that wasn't possible because there were some grains missing why not sub some grains/hops etc? ie come up with a substantially similar result, then offer another AG recipe pack or at the very least a partial...not to go say there isn't time to measure and crush then (noone else in the store) and my bro would have to come back another day, and not to then provide goo DME and steeping grains and a like for like replacement.

I can take the gift and make it what I want, My bro was none too happy because he got screwed around. I'm not pissed my brother is. result - I miss out on beer stuff next time around.
unfortunately not all stores are created equal...

Latest posts

Back