My $500 Brew House (with pics)...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsouth82

Reaction score
Do any of these sound familiar: "These kegs in the laundry seem to be multiplying!", "Where is your son meant to have a bath tonight?", or maybe "Get your f@*king brewing s#!t out of the bathroom, kitchen, laundry and study!"?
Then you, like me, need to build a brewhouse!
I’ll preface my story by saying I received a bunch of free materials and beer-funded labour. In saying that, here’s what I did with the help of the father-in-law and some mates. I found it surprising how much free help you can get when there’s an endless supply of draught beer available!
It’s only small and cheap but it’s great to have my own space!

Step 1:
  • Pick a location in the backyard.
  • Explain to the wife the washing line is being moved. Note: Perform this step at your own risk.
  • Lay some sleepers on some old pavers and get your levels right.
  • Attach some yellow tongue for flooring.
Cost: Sleepers and yellow tongue: $160.

gallery_23538_1155_22912.jpg

gallery_23538_1155_80012.jpg

Step 2:
  • Lay out and screw down some 50mm channel.
  • Stand 50mm sandwich panel in the silicon filled floor channel and screw in place.
Cost: channel, angle, sandwich panel, silicon and screws: free (collected over time from building site rubbish piles and job leftovers)

gallery_23538_1155_56617.jpg

Step 3:
  • Use more channel, angle, silicon and screws to hold all the panels in pace.
  • Trim down walls so there is a fall for rain water runoff.
  • Place sandwich panel roof on top and silicon/screw in place.
Cost: free
gallery_23538_1155_92220.jpg

Step 4:
  • Lay dodgy wood-floor-effect lino inside.
  • Place timber batons and roof sheets on top to provide a buffer from the sun.
Cost: Lino $50 approx., lino adhesive: $20, corrugated iron $140, timber $40
gallery_23538_1155_12567.jpg

Step 5:
  • Install old cupboards, bench top and sink.
  • Wiring and plumbing.
Cost: kitchen gear, free (from a friends kitchen reno). Electrical and plumbing, free (job leftovers and a few free beers to mates)
gallery_23538_1155_57259.jpg

Step 6:
  • Install fermenting and conditioning fridges.
  • Install dodgy beer paraphernalia collected over time.
  • Start brewing!
Cost: free
gallery_23538_1155_38538.jpg

gallery_23538_1155_51194.jpg

Total cost: around $410
It’s not massive and it’s certainly not fancy but it works. I’ve got plenty of cupboard space, enough bench space, room for a double sink and 3 fridges (2 fermenting and 1 conditioning).
Perfect for me as I only do extract, kits and bits.

Cant wait to see the upper level you will put on it, your rooftop beer garden level :lol:

Top effort :beerbang:

Now you just need a tap or hose for the sink and you're set.

Nice work, should give me some inspiration for when I take up brewing again.

That's a great idea... and when your in the dog house you can go out there a brew beers! win win.. :)

-gav

gava said:
That's a great idea... and when your in the dog house you can go out there a brew beers! win win.. :)

-gav
I didn't dare to suggest it, but it looks like there might be even enough space for a mattress if need be. Hopefully never needed, though.

god damn people who are good at this. i'm terrible and couldn't hammer a nail into a piece of wood if i tried. looks amazing mate. you're very welcome to make me one :)

I don't like it. Please send it through to me so that I may use it as my own.

But in all honesty, awesome work mate! It's amazing what the beer economy can deliver...

Excellent stuff, here's hoping inebriated guests don't mistake it for the outhouse.

Don't let other brewers talk to you about all grain, because if you try it you'll be taking out the retaining wall and digging a basement before you know it.

Shit man! That's awesome! Can't wait to see your kit if your brewhouse is this good.

edit: spelling

Awesome work gsouth!

Florian said:
I didn't dare to suggest it, but it looks like there might be even enough space for a mattress if need be. Hopefully never needed, though.
What you need is 2 hooks and a hammock and your doghouse is complete!

Cheers,
RB

i think we should all contract him to rebuild more in our yards..

Red Baron said:
Awesome work gsouth!

What you need is 2 hooks and a hammock and your doghouse is complete!

Cheers,
RB
Bazinga

Latest posts

Back