Moving on...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drover's dog

Reaction score
I wish to move on from kit brews to all grain - I have deliberated between the 40ltr NANO Brewery 304SS Electric Brew In A Bag and the Robobrew with pump systems. I see advantages and disadvantages with both, but given this is my first transition from kits, I seek your advice on the best option, with the knowledge that I will continue to grow my brewery as time passes and funds become available. Given that can you offer me some guidance.

I am currently enjoying a crispy Pilsner - very nice too [emoji14] cheers.

power/water requirements is what i looked at when deciding to step up...and space required...i have a grainfather Mk1 packs up and sits in a corner.

Transitioning to AG can be a bit of a minefield, but for the price-point, the pump-version Robobrew is a great place to start whilst you decide how you want to spend your $'s down the track.

Just be aware that the volume marks are inaccurate & the "set" temperature can differ from the "return" temperature by as much as 4C, so do your own calibration & testing. You also need to set it to about 107-110C to get a good rolling boil.

Like any system, you need to learn how it performs to get the best out of it.

I would certainly go the least expensive option, $20 Big W pot and a grain bag. You can make some smaller batches and see how you like it.

I'd never heard of the 40ltr NANO Brewery 304SS Electric Brew In A Bag before, but a quick look at the spiel and it seems pretty good.

I started out with a 40 litre Crown urn, as did quite a few brewers, but if that was an option when I started, I reckon I would have jumped at it. Especially if I had 40 litres of wort at the end of my brew day.

I had a buddy doing all grain, brewed with him a couple times, loved it, and then got a similar setup. 32 litre pot, gas burner, cooler mash tun. When I moved to Australia, I recreated it here. Biggest constraints are having an outdoor space to bring that much wort to boil on gas, and storing it. I might consider an all-in-one electric setup, but I really like my brew days.

I also have an urn for hot water, an esky mash tun and a stainless pot with LPG burner, so not very qualified to give advice, but here it is anyway!

Best thing would be to see both in action. Ask at your brew club / local facebook brew group / home brew shops to see if anyone is happy for you to sit in and watch (in exchange for a couple of your finest of course)

Latest posts

Back