Move To All Grain For Thirty Bucks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, this thread has been going around for ages.

Why would you use a "muslim bag" when you could simply drill a hole and put some fittings in the pot?

I say pussy whipped original poster.

cheers

TND

Hey I dont know any thing.. (so I dont understand what you mean?)
so far I've only done a few can kits.. I thought this would be a good way to get into A.G

the reason I was looking at the musliN, is because it is cotton not synthetic and I had concerns about chemicals being leeched out, but I been told that these materials are safe by Nick JD..

Im always open to suggestion

Yeah, Nick has some good ideas but also some not so good ideas.

If you are handy with a drill (about 13-14mm bit) and some small plumbing fittings then you can very easily make a re-usable small-batch "pot" without the hassle and temporality of sviss viole (aka known as muslim veil)

cheers

TND

Playing "Collect the threads" again Daz? Good luck with that, considering the number or enthusiastic yet uninformed posters on this site these days!

Hey I dont know any thing.. (so I dont understand what you mean?)
so far I've only done a few can kits.. I thought this would be a good way to get into A.G

the reason I was looking at the musliN, is because it is cotton not synthetic and I had concerns about chemicals being leeched out, but I been told that these materials are safe by Nick JD..

Im always open to suggestion
Good, sensible questions chookers.

I've read of a few brewers getting good results using natural fibres but you need to be careful. Read this thread for some pros and cons of natural versus synthetic.

Cheers,
Pat

Yeah Patch,

If an Aussiehomebrewer who would prefer to put a drill in his hand than carry hand woven handbags, I would suggest that this BIAB is dead in the water?

Advantages...try to make an all grain beer? Yes....works well. Does the BIAB'er have a mill? No!!!!!

Buy malt crushed from a retailer??? Yes.....expensive....YES.

Make a mill..possibly

Down the path of making years of all-grain beer with BIAB.........>>>>>><<<<<..........

place your bag over your shoulder and sook off patch.

Its all been done before.

If you are so disinclined to not drill 100 holes in a bottom of a bucket you shouldnt be brewing (and im sure your not PP)

Nothing new here.

rather than waste your 30-300 dollars following short term (and inadequate) processes brewers should be encouraged to build more permanent and effective brewing proceedures.

I hate those with non-sustainable ideas.

cheers

the_new_darren

I really don't know what sewing has to do with brewing though...

I really don't know what sewing has to do with brewing though...

You have to sow the grain, water (rain) fertilise,............................................harvest...................
...............................malt

then you grab your handbag (sew) and make a beer

Personally, I love to put my drill in my hand, then grab my welding rod. But hey, thats just me.

cheers

tnd

yeah mate.

Just a chode.

great contribution to the thread. Im just a choad.

Does that make you nothing but an internet choad?

Darren; been there; got the T-Shirt.

Don't you get lonely, dazza?

Darren; been there; got the T-Shirt.

Don't you get lonely, dazza?

Is that an offer Nick? :lol:

HB is for me something I am passionate about (including tha fact that retailers of ingredients are just secondary and unnecessary)

I do have another life.....How about you? I notice you are here this late at night!!!

cheers

tn dags

Is that an offer Nick? :lol:

HB is for me something I am passionate about (including tha fact that retailers of ingredients are just secondary and unnecessary)

I do have another life.....How about you? I notice you are here this late at night!!!

cheers

tn dags

Just about to go to bed. Nigh-nighs dazza.

I started all-graining by batch-sparging. I've made manifolds and tried out more ideas than most blokes, probably due to some grave psychological disorder - ATD perhaps? (Attention to detail.)

I have a great mill, which I built a long time after I started BIABing. The pics of it will be on here somewhere but...

I'd never advise a new all-grainer (BIAB brewer or trad brewer) to buy a mill. Here's one post I found on why buying and then constructing a mill is a major decision. In other words, it requires a bit of thought.

This thread gives new brewers a way of making all-grain. I think the thread was originally pure BIAB (single vessel, full-volume brewing) and was aimed at allowing new brewers to at least try all-grain. All of them liked it. Some then, through necessity, added a second vessel (and often heat source) to their equipment. This means they were no longer 'pure-BIABing'. They actually were batch-sparging.

My personal preference would be to see the new brewers buy a decent size kettle and stay single vessel rather than go three-vessel. Most do. And, there are actually a lot of brewers who have been brewing three vessel and changed to single vessel. Good on them! It's not an easy decision to choose to abandon equipment you have spent years developing for a ridiculously simple method.

Whatever method people choose to employ, it would be nice to see them encouraged and given quality information. Finding quality info is by far, the hardest job, for a new all-grainer. Hope some of the above info helps. Gotta go but good on you to the guys asking great questions and those giving sensible answers :icon_cheers:. By the look of the last ten or twenty posts here, I think finding good answers here must now be almost impossible.

who would prefer to put a drill in his hand than carry hand woven handbags
the_new_darren

I'm not sure if it's your misogynistic comments, your homosexual drill bit fantasies or your blatant disregard for the OP's inclusive MO but you've completely missed the point. You've been so vocal about it that I feel I have to say something and can't help that I hope you choke on something sharp.

This thread encouraged me to make my first AG beer. Armed with experience I moved onto a different workflow and within a year my house lager won the NSW Pale Lager category. If it wasn't for this thread I'd still be kits and bits but now I've found a new appreciation for the science and art in producing beer and have been encouraged to research a LOT more information.

While I don't always agree with Nick I can say that this thread has encouraged me to discover more. It's an excellent starting point and proves that anyone can do it for **** all money.

Finally, in case you haven't already choked on glass, Darren you come across as a proud and egotistical tosser...but I understand that everyone's different and just because your penis is so much smaller than the rest of us doesn't make you a bad brewer. Thanks for your input Dazza and get well fucked :)

Cheers,
Jakub

Yeah, Nick has some good ideas but also some not so good ideas.

If you are handy with a drill (about 13-14mm bit) and some small plumbing fittings then you can very easily make a re-usable small-batch "pot" without the hassle and temporality of sviss viole (aka known as muslim veil)

cheers

TND

Show us some pics will you please.
I am a novice and wouldn't mind knowing what you are talking about.

If your new and your interested in trying the thirty dollar method ignore the rants of the new darren. I believe there is good reason he had to make himself the new darren; where is darren? Plenty of people use biab to great effect. TND can't handle people doing things differently to him and he just tries to hijack threads. Follow his posts, many are antagonistic attempts at raising blood pressure.

I admire Darren's ability to keep coming back to a place where no one likes him. Gotta have balls to do that.

I also have a feeling that he feels quite unloved and unappreciated in other aspects of his life; his gig is disrupting decent blokes sharing differeing levels of knowledge amiably.

And that makes me feel sad about him. No one wants to be "that guy" - even Darren, I suspect.

Sometimes dickheads just need a hug. :wub:

Latest posts

Back