Move To All Grain For Thirty Bucks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey hey

inspired by this post i am going to give my first AG a go.

going to kick off with Dr Smurto's Golden Ale as my mate Lobo did it and i loved it.

so with recipes how do I adjust a recipe on AHB to only a 9L brew? i am guessing i want to use less grain and hops or do i still use the same amount of hops?

answers or link to information would be great

thanks

carty

this is the Dr S recipe i did on the weekend with BIAB
hope it helps

Min OG: 1.045 Max OG: 1.060 Min IBU: 30 Max IBU: 54 Min Clr: 5 Max Clr: 14 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
Batch Size (L): 10.00
Wort Size (L):
Total Grain (kg): 2.13
Anticipated OG:
Plato:
Anticipated SRM:
Anticipated IBU:
Brewhouse Efficiency:
70 %
Wort Boil Time:
60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
Evaporation Rate:
6.00 L
Per Hour
Pre-Boil
Wort Size:
16.00 L
Pre-Boil Gravity:
1.029 SG 7.41 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar % Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
1.20 kg. Weyermann Pilsner Germany 1.038 2
18.8 0.40 kg. Weyermann Pale Wheat Germany 1.038 2
0.40 kg. Weyermann Munich I Germany 1.038 8
0.13 kg. Weyermann Caramunich I Germany 1.036 51
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
10.00 g.
Amarillo Gold Pellet 10.00 29.9 60 min
10.00 g.
Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 6.0 10 min
10.00 g.
Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 5.0 5 min
10.00 g. Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 0.0 0 min

yeast was US-05 (used the whole packet, even though the post just above said i probably shouldnt have)
you'll have to adjust the hops, because it will likely be below 10%AA

hope this helps

Bugger. Thanks.

Looks like I'm still going to need a bigger pot anyway. I don't think the one I have is 15L. Oh....and a themometer, and a grinder,....and voile. My poor wallet.

Can't wait to try this.

You can get the 19L stainless steel pot from Big W for about $20. Perfect for this.

Nothing wrong with doing partials either. Halve the grain bill and wack in 1.5L of LME at flameout. Tastes close to all grain and all you need is the pot, a thermometer, and $5 worth of voile. (or you can get the large grain bag from craftbrewer which is perfect for this).

Bugger. Thanks.

Looks like I'm still going to need a bigger pot anyway. I don't think the one I have is 15L. Oh....and a themometer, and a grinder,....and voile. My poor wallet.

Can't wait to try this.

if you want to do 23lt brews you can look into a legal keg to change into a kettle (heaps of tutorials out there), or buy a large stock pot around 40lt and buy a burner for around $40.

i think the idea of this tutorial is that you are meant to make a smaller batch...increase the learning curve because you get to make more brews, and you dont loose out as much if you stuff it up.

I'm happy doing smaller batches to start with.

Checked out the voile today. It's a steal at $7/metre at Spotlight. (Which is in the furniture section of Spotlight by the way.)

this is the Dr S recipe i did on the weekend with BIAB
hope it helps

Min OG: 1.045 Max OG: 1.060 Min IBU: 30 Max IBU: 54 Min Clr: 5 Max Clr: 14 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
Batch Size (L): 10.00
Wort Size (L):
Total Grain (kg): 2.13
Anticipated OG:
Plato:
Anticipated SRM:
Anticipated IBU:
Brewhouse Efficiency:
70 %
Wort Boil Time:
60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
Evaporation Rate:
6.00 L
Per Hour
Pre-Boil
Wort Size:
16.00 L
Pre-Boil Gravity:
1.029 SG 7.41 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar % Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
1.20 kg. Weyermann Pilsner Germany 1.038 2
18.8 0.40 kg. Weyermann Pale Wheat Germany 1.038 2
0.40 kg. Weyermann Munich I Germany 1.038 8
0.13 kg. Weyermann Caramunich I Germany 1.036 51
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
10.00 g.
Amarillo Gold Pellet 10.00 29.9 60 min
10.00 g.
Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 6.0 10 min
10.00 g.
Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 5.0 5 min
10.00 g. Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 0.0 0 min

yeast was US-05 (used the whole packet, even though the post just above said i probably shouldnt have)
you'll have to adjust the hops, because it will likely be below 10%AA

hope this helps

hey hey

thanks mate that is a help, will give this a go, ordered my grain and hops a couple of days ago, going to spotlight tomorrow morning to battle the 39 degree weather to get the voile, this arvo going to look at the cost of a fridge to upgrade to a 4 keg system, then using my current keg fridge (only a 2 keg setup pffft whats the good of ya!) as a fermenter fridge with a temp mate, going to crack out some easy 20 degree ales then onto lagers! EXCITING!

also might try a partial mash with the extra 1.5 LME as well in response to the advice from mark *******.

thanks you all, really appreciate all the help, this post was great, simplified the whole process and made it sound far less daunting to give it a good hard go for myself mmmmmmm beer

oh on a side note my coopers wall mount bottle opener arrived today and i have mounted it snuggly on the back of my new redgum bar. life is good!

cheers
carty

yes well i am also hoping to get my grain this week for my first try at a biab matt, also thanks again to nick for posting the get off your arse and try it article for biab and must also thank the ******* for his input into this article
cheers

fergi

i am just going to stoke up my burner and pot with 16 litres of water, i am going to bring it to the boil and then simmer it with the lid on for 60 mins, this is to see how much fluid i lose, hoping to be left with 10 litres for my wort,is this a fair indication of what my post boil will be in litres
fergi

Wyrt, originally. Ye Olde English.

and used in current German as Wrze.

Then there's Vorlauf, Vorderwrzehopfung, Dunkelweizendoppelbock, Krusen, Lager, Luter, Reinheitsgebot.

You see, if you extend yourselves you'll even learn a second language.

tdh

i am just going to stoke up my burner and pot with 16 litres of water, i am going to bring it to the boil and then simmer it with the lid on for 60 mins, this is to see how much fluid i lose, hoping to be left with 10 litres for my wort,is this a fair indication of what my post boil will be in litres
fergi
You preferably want your lid off.

Part of the reason we boil for an extended period of time, apart from extraction of bittering compounds from hops, is to evaporate the "precursors" to DMS (which may contribute a wet-cardboard smell to your beer)

At least, that's what I was told...

DMS is more commonly described as cooked corn or vegetables but it is why you want the lid off (I have mine half on to reduce a bit of loss and have not tasted cooked corn in any of mine yet).

ok noted, will leave lid half off for first brew.
fergi

just looking at local bake and brew shop here in gawler, SA, they have stainless steel hand operated marga mills for $129, i wonder how they would work , i know it would be harder and slower than a electric one but also a lot cheaper, has a hopper on top and a collector at the bottom.
fergi

marcato_grain_mill.jpg

just looking at local bake and brew shop here in gawler, SA, they have stainless steel hand operated marga mills for $129, i wonder how they would work , i know it would be harder and slower than a electric one but also a lot cheaper, has a hopper on top and a collector at the bottom.
fergi

They are pretty commonly converted for milling grain.

Craftbrewer sells them Linky

Looks like your LHBS has a pretty reasonable new price.

and with some creativity they can be modded to attach to a bucket lid and a drill.....

mill_004.JPG

mill_005.JPG

mill_006.JPG

and with some creativity they can be modded to attach to a bucket lid and a drill.....

looks alright that mod pollux,is that the mill that you use and did you mod it yourself.does a drill fit on the end of the standard shaft.
fergi

I simply removed the base plate, used the little plates below that to screw it to the bucket and cut a hole to match in the lid.

The drive is transferred with a 10mm dynabolt, with matching bit on my drill.

Works a charm.

That's an awesome idea Pollux, how much speed does the marga handle?

No idea on the exact RPM, I'll make a point to time the next batch of grain I crush.

For about $100 you can get a motor from the same manufacturer that bayonets on to the mill.

tdh

Touch great leader!

Anyhow, does anyone have a list of simple ales & hops etc which can be brewed with a small list of hops? I see the recipy database as a bit daughtning and everything seems to have a list of different ingredients (I do realise this is how things are made to be different but I'm just after a couple slightly different things from the same base malt with perhaps just some different specialty hops.

Three common styles of beers that newbies tend to start off with - and which are a great 'apprenticeship' are:

Australian Standard "Quaffing" beers
Carltonish XXXX-ish styles. As a beginner you don't need to go into the intricacies of lagering, you can make an acceptable 'fake' lager using a yeast such as US-05 and ferment cool at 17 degrees.

Malt: Pale Pilsener (BB or Joe White) - Hops: a single addition of Pride of Ringwood, Cluster or Superpride at the beginning of the boil. Optionally use 300-500g sugar or dex in the fermenter. Yeast: US-05 dried yeast

UK Bitters

Malt: Maris Otter, Golden Promise or Halcyon. 5% dark crystal malt. Hops: a bittering addition of Fuggles or Challenger or Target at the beginning of the boil. An aroma addition of Styrian Goldings or East Kent Goldings ten mins before end of boil. Yeast: Nottingham dried yeast, or one of the Wyeast all-round UK yeasts such as Ringwood (not to be confused with the hop of that name) or Whitbread.

Australian Sparkling Ales (Coopers Style)

Malt: BB or Joe White Ale malt. 5 to 8% Carared malt. Hops: a single addition of Pride of Ringwood at the beginning of the boil. Yeast: culture your own authentic yeast from a couple of tallies of Coopers Sparkling or Pale Ale.

If you can get a couple of the above brews under your belt then you are off and running. I tend to cringe when an enthusiastic AG brewer announces "my first brew is going to be a wonderful Alt Winterbier dark Prussian Imperial Poodleheffemeister with Belgian yeasts and added licorice and molasses........." :eek:

Keep it simple initially and happy brewing :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:

bb

Back