Move To All Grain For Thirty Bucks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhh another thread to the dogs.

Started out well.

wont be long and people wont bother putting stuff like this up at all.

Will just be the forum with no beer.

If you want to make 20litres, can it be done with a 10 litre pot? Is it possible to make a more concentrated boil in a 10litre pot and add more water (like another 10 litres) afterwards? Or are the limits for the water to absorb the malts and oils, etc?

All pots need some room between the bubbling liquid and the rim. The one I've used in this example is a 15L pot, with about 11L of liquid in it maximum.

You can push the envelope though ... but have a mop handy, and some burn ointment.

In the past, I've put 4kg of grain into 11L of water. With 2kg in 11L, I get ~1.045 SG. With 4kg I don't get 1.090 - more like 1.075. So as you can see, it's a great way to waste grain. But it is cheap - so who really cares?

But I've found if you really want massive batches, go and buy massive gear. I'm sorry but I don't have a $30 method of doing 50L batches - I wish. You could just get a massive pot and a cat-o-nine-tails to whip your poor stovetop with ... but I'm afraid this kind of thing bottoms out at an inefficient 23L batch max.

But again I'll stress, it's by only doing 9L at a time that your learning curve flattens out. After cracking open that 12th longneck, you've finished what you learnt and you have already brewed three new recipes. Unless your liver looks like dried road-kill; the best way to learn quickly how to do this AG malarky is to go small.

Yep its syphon.

Cleaning the "voile" would be nothing other than a pain in the but plus it will mely if heated too high.

Braided hose or a hacksaw to cut slits if using copper is not very difficult at all.

cheers

Darren (just offering an alternative)

Alternatives are fine Darren. I guess that's what brew in a bag is. I like copper. I like manifolds. I also like alternatives.

The way you write these things comes across as undermining rather than helpful. Maybe that's unintentional?

Anyway, out of curiosity how does the siphon operate (genuine curiosity as I have never siphoned). Is it like a racking siphon attached to the hose or is it old school, mouth operated?

Also at what temp does swiss voile melt? (again genuine question as it's also something I don't use).

Typical input from Tony

I wont bite..... but a picture can say a thousand words

bottleface.gif

Actually, you're offering the commonplace and traditional. Nick is offering an alternative.

Bum,

No, traditional is to drill the pot. This method preserves the pot (for more conventional uses like cooking) butalso allows the beginner brewer to make small batches with little fuss or mess.

cheers

Darren

Hey Darren - you know how your Mum washes your crusty undies? That's how you wash your grain bag.

If you care - I just rinse mine under the tap. It's part of the wonderful "pre-boil" collection of my things that I rarely, if ever clean.

The bags probably smell when they're drying (of wonderful sweet beer juice), but since they're on the line with the missus's underwear, I prefer not to alarm the neighbours by sniffing anything on the Hoist.

Thanks for your contribution. I'm glad you prefer thread derailing over train derailing.

Bum,

No, traditional is to drill the pot. This method preserves the pot (for more conventional uses like cooking) butalso allows the beginner brewer to make small batches with little fuss or mess.

cheers

Darren

Again a genuine suggestion - start a how to thread for new brewers with pics etc like this thread has.

A lot of new brewers could get a lot of inspiration and could choose for themselves which method they think suits them.

lighten up guys, without these kinds of arguments the forum would be boorrriing.... whether or not I agree with Darren is beside the point, his posts never fail to liven you bunch up at the end of a staling thread ;)

This method preserves the pot (for more conventional uses like cooking) butalso allows the beginner brewer to make small batches with little fuss or mess.

As does Nick's method.

Except his folds away into nothing - where does one put your tun design in a crowded kitchen? So is your alternative about making this less practical? You could probably get a grant for that.

[EDIT: bizarre punctuation]

lighten up guys, without these kinds of arguments the forum would be boorrriing.... whether or not I agree with Darren is beside the point, his posts never fail to liven you bunch up at the end of a staling thread ;)

Trying to engage civilly and rationally with said argument.

The brilliance of this thread (originally) is that it over-simplified the method so that people new to mashing would not be put off.

The last thing the thread needs is a boring old argument from the people that have been doing it for years.

Darren there is no way your idea is more practical and it certainly costs a lot more money. I must admit it is interesting though (other than having to suck out wort that's at mash out temps with your mouth into a magic extra vessel)

Trying to engage civilly and rationally with said argument.

Manticle, I need this pile of manure here moved to the top of that hill - gimme a boost?

Hey Darren - you know how your Mum washes your crusty undies? That's how you wash your grain bag.

If you care - I just rinse mine under the tap. It's part of the wonderful "pre-boil" collection of my things that I rarely, if ever clean.

The bags probably smell when they're drying (of wonderful sweet beer juice), but since they're on the line with the missus's underwear, I prefer not to alarm the neighbours by sniffing anything on the Hoist.

Thanks for your contribution. I'm glad you prefer thread derailing over train derailing.

Nick,

Not an intentional thread derail simply pointing out to you and others that what appears to be cheap and simple can be acheived just as simply by other means.

I did mention before and will mention again, that wort contaminated Swiss voile is a great medium for microbiological survival (heat resistant beer spoilage organisms). I would suggest that rather than simply washing under the tap that the "voile" should also be boiled for a few minutes (in the microwave if you like) to sanitise prior to re-use.

cheers

darren

Nick,

Not an intentional thread derail simply pointing out to you and others that what appears to be cheap and simple can be acheived just as simply by other means.

I did mention before and will mention again, that wort contaminated Swiss voile is a great medium for microbiological survival (heat resistant beer spoilage organisms). I would suggest that rather than simply washing under the tap that the "voile" should also be boiled for a few minutes (in the microwave if you like) to sanitise prior to re-use.

cheers

darren
But doesn't that contradict your suggestion that swiss voile will melt with too much heat?

Manticle, I need this pile of manure here moved to the top of that hill - gimme a boost?

You can stand on my mash tun.

Shortarse.

The brilliance of this thread (originally) is that it over-simplified the method so that people new to mashing would not be put off.

The last thing the thread needs is a boring old argument from the people that have been doing it for years.

Darren there is no way your idea is more practical and it certainly costs a lot more money. I must admit it is interesting though (other than having to suck out wort that's at mash out temps with your mouth into a magic extra vessel)

Nothing be learned from people doing this kinda stuff for years is there?

Magical extra vessel? Huh, do you only have one pot in your kitchen?

Just in case you did not realise, mash temp wort is about 30 degrees C cooler than black coffee ;)

Anyhow, last post in this thread.

Sorry again for thinking out of the square.

cheers

Darren

Edit: Manticle. I suspect SV will only melt in contact with either elements or gas heated metal pot bottoms. If it does melt at boiling water temps then it should definately not be used in food preparation at 65-75 C

Nothing wrong with thinking outside the square. Please begin a thread detailing your single pot method using copper/braid. It could actually be of some use to some people as this thread is.

Edit: Manticle. I suspect SV will only melt in contact with either elements or gas heated metal pot bottoms. If it does melt at boiling water temps then it should definately not be used in food preparation at 65-75 C

I believe (not a BIABEer so I could be wrong) that the bag is not meant to touch the bottom/element when done correctly. I'm sure if it received direct heat that it might but so might my plastic mash paddle. I avoid that by not letting it touch an element. Couldn't beer be made by using either voile OR copper? Isn't it possible? Sure there's things to watch out for but you seem to think there's no way it can be done well. I think your perspective is a little skewed.

Back