Move To All Grain For Thirty Bucks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just want to second (third? tenth?!) the thanks and congrats on this guide.

Nice and claritous. Just like my beer isn't :)

Great pictures and I agree with previous comments that the guts & balls of this tutorial would be useful if made into a .pdf for ready distribution.

:icon_cheers:

Makes it seem so easy and you've inspired me to get grainy.

It's hard to find a decently priced 20L pot these days though.

Agree here. a .pdf guide would great. SWMBO can then sit on facebook more whilst i "study"

on Craftbrewer.com.au if you order more than around 20 Kg of grains the price drops even further - to $2.40 per Kg for that one which Mark picked out - just try putting large amounts into your cart.

couple of things here, i have bought my 20 litre pot and a gas ring burner, now do i need to buy a candy thermometer or can i use my stainless steel fowlers thermometer, i have just put 500 grms of wheat into my wifes Kenwood chef with the blender attached and gave the wheat a blast for 1 minute, it seems to have powdered about half of the wheat and the rest looks damaged.i guess if i put it through for a couple of minutes it would be finer, so i think i will use this instead of buying a coffee grinder, i will post pics of the ground wheat shortly,
fergi

PB030104.JPG

do i need to buy a candy thermometer or can i use my stainless steel fowlers thermometer

Any thermometer that will read around the 60-70 degree C mark and is accurate to within a degree will work fine.

If you want to make 20litres, can it be done with a 10 litre pot? Is it possible to make a more concentrated boil in a 10litre pot and add more water (like another 10 litres) afterwards? Or are the limits for the water to absorb the malts and oils, etc?

Couldnt one do that with $15 worth of copper tubing and fittings without use of a sewing machine or a "winch"?

cheers

darren

EDIT: Sorry for the crappy drawing.

Once mash is finished, give the tubing a "suck" and the wort drains into the collecting pot.

Easy to make (unless sewing is your forte'), easy to use, easy to clean, easy to store

BIAB_alternative.jpg

Couldnt one do that with $15 worth of copper tubing and fittings without use of a sewing machine or a "winch"?

cheers

darren

I've had my issues with you in the past but I'm going to try to answer this civilly and without resorting to any kind of insult.

By the way - I use a copper manifold (which cost a lot more than $15).

I believe the point of what Nick is suggesting is something that's a lot easier than putting together a copper manifold. Yes it can be done with a small amount of effort and some time but anyone who isn't particularly schooled with tools etc may struggle. I know I did (got there in the end in spite of myself).

It's just a different method of getting to the same goal and one that some people may find a lot easier than others.

See edited post above.. ....

Not too many guys i know have access to a sewing machine or the patience to hold a bag with 5 kilos of wet malt above a pot for 10 or so minutes.

Most I know have a drill and a drill-bit to drill the copper manifold (of course you could use braided hose to save drilling if you are that handicapped).

Added benefit is that it will last for ever as opposed to a stinking dirty "swiss voile bag".

cheers

Darren

EDIT: Braided hose alternative

BIAB_alternative_with_braided_hose.JPG

What sewing machine? What winch?

Mash tun is kettle (hell, it's even been the fermenter).

Suggesting complication is simple.

If you want to make 20litres, can it be done with a 10 litre pot? Is it possible to make a more concentrated boil in a 10litre pot and add more water (like another 10 litres) afterwards? Or are the limits for the water to absorb the malts and oils, etc?
Yep bcp, at a stretch. Hops utilisation takes a hit above about 1.050 though, so you have to add more for the same effect. Here's a more- complicated- than- necessary graph:
Image10.gif

Source: http://users.rcn.com/thor.dnai/dboard/dbnewsl/t9510d.htm

I've written a bit about it here. For your sort of numbers, look at about roughly 20- 40% more hops required.

Conversion of sugars efficiently may become problematic at those ratios, other punters might have more to say on that, I've never quite pushed it that far. I've made 23 litre batches of mid- standard %abv from 17 litres of post- boil wort though. I'm part way through writing this sort of process up, just have to bear with me for a bit...

I'd try it and see though- there's a pretty fair chance there will be something worthwhile drinking!

And listen guys, its the boil the question is about! That's the bit that comes after mashing, right? Get a grip lads... :rolleyes: Here's the quote:
Is it possible to make a more concentrated boil in a 10litre pot and add more water (like another 10 litres) afterwards?
Now quit feeding the troll!

Edit: If you all guys with manifolds, eskies, mash tuns and bits of copper pipe can knock out your entire AG kit for thirty clams, please do go on. Otherwise, can you i) note the thread title and ii) take it elsewhere please? That would be really super.

Not too many guys i know have access to a sewing machine or the patience to hold a bag with 5 kilos of wet malt above a pot for 10 or so minutes.

Most I know have a drill and a drill-bit to drill the copper manifold (of course you could use braided hose to save drilling if you are that handicapped).

Added benefit is that it will last for ever as opposed to a stinking dirty "swiss voile bag".

cheers

Darren

Meh. My fingers have better things to do than type wasted words for people who not only missed the point, they are running after it like a retard..

cheers

Darren

I'm a bit confused. How does the wort drain from the diagram kettle? Is it siphoned or is there a tap?

Copper manifold is more than just a drill bit (and drilling rounded copper is a pain - I used a dremel for slots on mine and it took a good couple of hours. When I tried drill bits the first time they just snapped). You need joining pieces which together would cost more than the $15 you suggest.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a fan (and user) of the manifold but I'm not sure my preference for one method over another is anything more than just that - preference.

To add - copper manifold won't last forever unless it's looked after - same as any equipment. Swiss voile is probably quite cheap to replace and I believe Nick's method bypasses the need for a sewing machine or winch anyway. Read the thread from beginning to end.

Darren you are a dead set idiot.

For starters my last partial I did on the stove was using a 1 metre square piece of fabric with NO sewing. None required.

Secondly this is a small grain bill on a stove, no winch needed, but I'm not surprised you'd think it needed considering you're such a girl. I still remember that time you complained about carrying grain bags for some bulk buy like a little bitch.

Yep its syphon.

Cleaning the "voile" would be nothing other than a pain in the but plus it will mely if heated too high.

Braided hose or a hacksaw to cut slits if using copper is not very difficult at all.

cheers

Darren (just offering an alternative)

Back