Most ridiculous price you have paid for a beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
35 pounds for sink the bismark worth every penny. still got one in the fridge

I paid $50 for my Westvleteren 12, was a good beer would have preferred to pay $35.

No record breaker here but paying 8+ bucks for ~330ml of beer that comes secondary to your home brew seems ridiculous but done that.

edit: Its called socializing. :p

What if you calculate all the hours that you have put in to make beer. Then pay yourself on your working hourly rate. ?
What would your beer cost? :D

but no that is willing recreation, hobby, research and development so it doesn't count. Does it?
It would be an interesting statistic, survey? Considering I hate surveys but to think of how many Australians could stand up to brew?

~4h to brew, plus ingredients, would make my 23l batch close to 10bux a litre... BUT I do a whole bunch of other things when I brew, e.g. mashed in this morning, then took my daughter swimming... so not really 'solid' work effort

40 cents for a pint of fresh pilsner in Prague. It was cheaper to drink all night than pay for accomodation. Ridiculous wrapped up in a blanket of drunken awesome.

seehuusen said:
~4h to brew, plus ingredients, would make my 23l batch close to 10bux a litre... BUT I do a whole bunch of other things when I brew, e.g. mashed in this morning, then took my daughter swimming... so not really 'solid' work effort
Yep, not subtracting the multi tasks in the total time spent including mash sit times, yeast culturing.
Rough calculation my home brew (on clock time and ingredients) turns out to be around $13.50 a litre. -_-
I do spend some extra time on this hobbie so I don't think that's bad?

Danscraftbeer said:
Yep, not subtracting the multi tasks in the total time spent including mash sit times.
Rough calculation my home brew (on clock time and ingredients) turns out to be around $13.50 a litre.
I do spend some time on this hobbie so I don't think that's bad?
It's not bad at all. If I costed out my hobbies at an hourly rate I would have went broke years ago. A little lazy eye and a splash of orange crush makes all hobbies cost negative.

Then its too hard to calculate in electricity and gas used. Estimate maybe its more like $15 a litre.

Orange Crush?

$30 for a carton of Swan or Emu at Fitzroy Crossing back in the early 70s. The same carton was $6 in Perth and $9 in the Pilbara and average weekly wage $150 per week.

$120 USD for a 30-pack of VB cans. I was working in the US in early 2000's, imported it with some other Aussie co-workers to have something for Australia Day. Justified the purchase by comparing it to the price of a local beer at a bar i.e. $4USD for Bud/Miller etc. Unfortunately the craftbeer boom was only just gaining traction then, both in the US and in me!

$1 for a pint of Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA at a bar in Washington DC is the most ridiculously cheap price I've paid for quality beer.

MartinOC said:
On another note.... Hahn Millennium Ale.

Can't remember how much it cost (a LOT), but I bought a dozen 750ml bottles with the intention of splitting the case with a mate.

We opened one to find out where it was currently "at" before cellaring the rest under his house & he immediately pulled-out of the deal there & then. I agreed with his/our assessment. I was left with 11 bottles of crap with no potential for improvement.

Tried them again about 6 months apart for a year, but it was still crap & ended-up turfing the rest down the sink.

That's expensive!
Not actually a mate's @rsehole if he offered to split and then withdrew.

warra48 said:
$5.30 for a schooner of Carlton Draught, or any other megaswill. It hurst me every time.

The title does day "ridiculous", not the most expensive.
Does it also hurst your spelling?

For me, it's the strong ale at Red Oak. Something like $28 for 150 ml or something excruciating like that.

mstrelan said:
$1 for a pint of Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA at a bar in Washington DC is the most ridiculously cheap price I've paid for quality beer.
Im assuming some kind of happy hour, but man..thats a farkin steal

Back