Most ridiculous price you have paid for a beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyh77

Reaction score
So I'm sitting in Sydney airport, have a bit of time before flight. So what do you do but get a beer.
$16.50 for a pint of Wild Yak!!!!!!
What the dearest beer you have bought?

I've paid a fair bit for some Belgian Triples and imported sours (Guze Boon springs to mind), but they were worth it due to the quality.

Most I've probably felt ripped off was at my one and only Melbourne Cup (about $12.50 for a can of Boags Draught IIRC). I'll never be going back there again as it combines two of the things I hate the most - Gambling and Horse Racing.

JD

That much for a corona at Sydney airport -_-

Any money spent on macro lager beer is ridiculous in my book. But apart from that-

$35 for a 330ml bottle of Westvleteren 12, dubbed "Wourld's Best Beer" by some online rating site or other.
Someone on a craft beer Facebook group organised for an importer to send them over, to save us money (because retailers here were selling for more like $50).
You can buy bottles in Belgium for something ridiculous, like €2.
It's an okay beer. I prefer St Bernardus (which is pretty easy to get here in Aus at ~$10).

I think I might have also spent ~$30 on a 640ml bottle of Ballast Point Sculpin a few years back. Now selling for $6/355ml can from Dan Murphy's.

A six pack of VB when I was about 22. Cost me about a grand from memory..

A six pack of Coopers once cost me my freedom. It took nine months for the payment to process but silly ole me neglected to pull out.

A group of us brought a bottle of Sink the Bismarck, the idea that any beer is dearer than 20+yo Scotch - that's ridiculous!
Good enough beer, but seriously having a lend at the price.
Mark

Geez, I think about $65 for a takeaway half a carton of Emu Bitter cans from El Questro station homestead. That was in roughly 2005.
They might have worked that out on a per can sale basis which converts to $5.40 each.....which sounds reasonable when I think about it now. I just remember thinking at the time it was ludicrous.
This price had other factors built in like the remote location. Oh, and that my offsider at the time had a falling out with the barstaff and ended up being told to f$#k off and challenged by the legendary cowboy/storyteller/war vet/whip cracking master/bloody all round champion top bloke Buddy Tyson.
That's always going to drive up the price. Actually surprised they didn't charge more for me to watch all this going down.

About $30 for a 750mL bottle of LaSirenne Praline ale at a pub in Carlton.
Very. Disappointing.
Probably would still have been disappointed if it was, say, $12 as i wasn't convinced on it as a beer overall. However, at $30 it left the lingering bitter taste of rip-off, rather than the smooth bitterness of a great beer.

Every shitty lager I've ever had at bars in Scandinavia - Although pub prices in Aus are getting pretty close now.

paid $130 for a bottle of easy to find rodenbach alexander and two rare bottles you probably never heard of called southern courage. :D

kaiserben said:
$35 for a 330ml bottle of Westvleteren 12, dubbed "Wourld's Best Beer" by some online rating site or other.
Someone on a craft beer Facebook group organised for an importer to send them over, to save us money (because retailers here were selling for more like $50).
You can buy bottles in Belgium for something ridiculous, like €2.
It's an okay beer. I prefer St Bernardus (which is pretty easy to get here in Aus at ~$10).
Westy 12 is still on the grey market in Belgium, unless you get it direct from the Abbey. I paid €12 for my bottle in Central Brussels. Was a good beer but not worth the $50+ people are paying in Aus.

Guinness special release 1759 $49 well worth it because it is a beer I could never hope to replicate.
206.JPG

Let's just say it was the last stop after a long night and one of those establishments

had been at sea for a few months on a dry ship, went to anchor and paid off in singapore. got to the hotel and said bring us your coldest beer....after my first sip looked at receipt i was handed, 22 ******* dollars for a shitty Heineken.........

Latest posts

Back