Morgans Wheat Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcraig20

Reaction score
I got a tin of Morgans master blend wheat malt the other day for an extract brew the other day. Anyone got any idea what is actually in it? Is it pure wheat malt, wheat and barley, and does it contain any spec. malts like the others in the range?

Can't speak for the Morgans exactly as i've never used one, but quite often the Wheat Malt tins are a 60/40 wheat/barley mix (i think)

:icon_cheers: SJ

Can't speak for the Morgans exactly as i've never used one, but quite often the Wheat Malt tins are a 60/40 wheat/barley mix (i think)

Sounds right to me.

I checked the Morgan's website but there is no mention of a wheat malt? WTF

What are you planning to brew with this JimmyCraig?

Sounds right to me.

I checked the Morgan's website but there is no mention of a wheat malt? WTF

I used a tin of this a little while ago and I believe it's 100% wheat (what's the label say? Can't remember). It's pretty pale and gives good head like wheat malt :D

If in doubt use DME with ingredients fully listed, otherwise a 60/40 wheat/barley blend is OK

I too checked the website while typing my answer and couldn't find any details on it.

Thanks guys - I checked the morgans website first and got confused as well.

There is nothing on the tin at all to suggest what the ingredients are except 'wheat malt'. It doesnt really matter whether its pure wheat or not - I really just want to get a handle on whether there are crystal malts in there as well like some of the other tins in the series.

I would have brought a tin of coopers wheat malt and saved myself the hassle if the LHBS had any that wasnt nearly out of date.

Planning a golden ale ala Dr Smurto. Probably this tin, 1.6kg LDME and 250g caramunich or carahell (love the stuff) and Dr Smurto's hopping schedule. Might get some munich and make it a partial if I can be bothered ordering grain.

...golden ale ala Dr Smurto. Probably this tin, 1.6kg LDME and 250g caramunich or carahell (love the stuff) and Dr Smurto's hopping schedule. Might get some munich and make it a partial if I can be bothered ordering grain.

:icon_drool2: A brewer after my own black heart... Gotta love DrSmurto's concoctions :beerbang:

OT: Where abouts in New England are you from? Went to school in Armidale NSW (for those Victorians and it's spelt with a I not an A ok? That should stroke them up a bit huh?), family comes from Tammy, Gundy and Quirindi.

:icon_drool2: A brewer after my own black heart... Gotta love DrSmurto's concoctions :beerbang:

OT: Where abouts in New England are you from? Went to school in Armidale NSW (for those Victorians and it's spelt with a I not an A ok? That should stroke them up a bit huh?), family comes from Tammy, Gundy and Quirindi.

Im in Armidale - originally from Ballina/Lismore though.

Moved up here for uni - cant seem to escape now!

Ahhh! God's own estate is the New England...

Perfect temps in winter to get into some Pilsners and Lagers you lucky bugger.

So I guess with all this homebrewing the Newy is suffering a profit shortfall? :lol:

Ahhh! God's own estate is the New England...

Perfect temps in winter to get into some Pilsners and Lagers you lucky bugger.

So I guess with all this homebrewing the Newy is suffering a profit shortfall? :lol:

Yeah, it's not all bad I guess.

Last winter my main problem was keeping my pilsners warm!

At the moment Im keeping ales cool with nothing more than a frozen milk bottle and a dry towel...

I had to talk to Coopers this morning so about something else so I put this question to them as well; they assure me that its at least 40% Wheat, tho I believe from other references its actually 50/50 Wheat/Barley.

The Master Blend 1Kg cans are finished, the can manufacturer stoped making the 1 Kg can and Morgans said they needed to order a 5 year supply of the empty tins to have a special run done, just not possible.

Morgans will be releasing 1.5 Kg versions of the old Master Blend range in about 4-6 weeks.

Muntons Dry Wheat is reportedly 60% Wheat.

MHB

Back