Saccharification.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wide eyed and legless

Reaction score
Reading the specs on Voyager, they give saccharification times. Now if a Pilsner malt is 5-15 minutes what if Munich light was mashed with the Pilsner malt, does that bring down the saccharification time of the Munich light 20-30 minutes? And if it does by how much? I understand that for unmalted adjuncts like flaked barley etc then the mash time is 60 minutes.
I did a mash with Veloria schooner, saccharification time was 15 to 20 minutes I carried out an iodine test at 20 minutes and sure enough it was complete.

Good base malt will have an excess of enzymes, usually enough to convert the base malt and up to ~40% more adjunct. As the intensity of kilning of malt progresses the amount of enzymes available falls.

There is a strong correlation between colour and available enzymes.
Loosely in the order Pilsner/Pale malt, Ale malt, Vienna, Light Munich and Dark Munich at about 20EBC just makes it into the classification of a base malt (has enough enzymes to convert itself).
Clearly if you mix Pilsner Malt and a darker base malt, it would convert slower than the Pilsner alone and faster than the Munich.

Where I think you might be making a bit of a mistake is in assuming that Iodine Normal is the same as fully converted.
It takes a 9 Glucose chain or longer to make Iodine indicator show blue. That’s a long way from fully converted into fermentable sugars. Sure the insoluble starch may be degraded enough to become 1/soluble and 2/Iodine normal but it’s far from a good wort fermentability.
Alpha amylase is far more common and works much faster than Beta Amylase so you get the starch solubilised but not fully degraded in the 15-20 minutes in the specification.
You really will want to give the mash an hour or so to get the type of wort typical in most beers, unless you want very soupy high FG beer.
Mark

Thank you Mark. I am not changing what I have been doing, nor would I, of mashing for the 60 minutes. It was curiosity got the better of me, so did the iodine test. I then got to wondering about the other base malts and what would happen to them with all the enzymes in the wort, then surely their times would improve? I suppose it's just one of those things that no one would ever want to follow up on as the 60-minute mash covers it anyway.

Latest posts

Back