Moo Brew 2008 Vintage Stout - $25 / Bottle!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cKc

Reaction score
Limited release Moo Brew 2008 Vintage Stout

$25/330mL stubbie, $600/case
for Tasmanian craft-beer from Moorilla Brewery.

Is it just me or would this have to be a very, very special beer?! :blink:

Priced per mL, this beer is on the same $/volume as a $56 dollar bottle of wine...

It appears that last year's vintage got pretty sweet reviews for those lucky enough to taste: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...amp;hl=moorilla

So is anybody planning on pre-ordering/ordering? Apparently this year's is "much better" according to Moorilla. I'm more than happy to help out with tastings and reviews if anybody wants to supply the beer! :icon_cheers:

Original story here:
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25575093-29277,00.html

Brewery here: http://moorilla.com.au/moobrew/

Redoak Botique Beer Cafe here in Sydney have two "Reserve" beers on their menu that are $75 for a 250ml bottle. Makes this one look like a bargain.

Honestly, I might be persuaded to try a $25 beer if I was having a good week financially. But $75, I simply could not justify it.

You can get the '07 for not too much more here, as long as you're buying a mixed carton. This was a very limited release beer--only 28 cartons produced--hence the price.

Also, since I'm mentioning it - the '08 Cooper's Vintage Ale is 10% off remaining stock if the newsletter is to be believed (no affiliation).

Edit: Use code 'Vintage' when ordering to get the discount, so says the newsletter.

Moo Brew did this last year for their Imperial Stout at 25 bucks and I posted was a beer really worth that sort of money.
Personally I think it was an overpriced, overstated beer made for beer snobs with to much money and many posted back that yes they would pay that sort of dough for a stout that was in their opinion worth it. To them all I can say Bollocks, if you want to believe in spin and that a beer commands that sort of price then may your delusions take you to wherever your pocket takes you.

Frankly no one bats an eyelid at 'boutique' wine prices any more I don't see why beer should be any different.

Moo Brew did this last year for their Imperial Stout at 25 bucks and I posted was a beer really worth that sort of money.
Personally I think it was an overpriced, overstated beer made for beer snobs with to much money and many posted back that yes they would pay that sort of dough for a stout that was in their opinion worth it. To them all I can say Bollocks, if you want to believe in spin and that a beer commands that sort of price then may your delusions take you to wherever your pocket takes you.

So you didn't like the beer then?

I dunno. Here's some skewed logic that may make you reconsider.

At many bottleshops in Sydney you wouldnt bat an eyelid paying twice as much for a boutique beer as you would for a VB, Tooheys etc.

Think about if you go out to a nightclub or band venue, some places will charge you ten dollars for a VB, Tooheys etc.

So why work on the twice as much principle, but stay home instead of going out, and dont order extra pepporoni on your home delivered pizza, and you've justified the cost of a $25 beer.

Not really, I agree its expensive. But as a rare treat, like for a birthday or something, $25 is managable ! My fear is that once you start paying this much it might be like heroin addiction, that first tatse can never be recaptured but you spend more money, but more expensive beers, eventually loisng your car, your house and your family because you just HAD to buy that bottle of Vielle Bon Secours and chase the dragon with a Carlsberg Vintage No.1 !

No one bats an eyelid at wine prices, because many of the products 'users' are pretentious wankers who are show ponies. It's worth more to these people being seen with a bottle of something fancy that the actual taste is. Whereas beer, while I agree should be given a higher profile than that of commonners swill, is still a no-bullshit beverage with far less airs & graces than its grapish counterpart.

But does it go anywhere near Gough's Wild Thing?

I've spent $400+ on bottles of scotch or cognac. I have a glass, maybe 2 of them each year when occasion warrants it, and I enjoy each glass so much, and the bottles last for years, so the cost is not really a concern. (I actually use one of them as a motivator - I'm not allowed to have another glass of X until I get off my ass and Y). Heck, I've been dropping "hints" to people about the $4000 bottles, but it seems that you can put a price on friendship and it is less then 4k :(

I find those prices easy to justify. I mean, a bottle lasts (me) years, and the production of a 30YO Scotch is pretty huge.

I'm happy to spend $10 for a beer if I think it will give me something different to what I'm used to. It's not like you spend it every day, and you're not getting it to drink a six pack at a BBQ (or a slab given the right/wrong mental health or peer pressure levels)

But $25? If the beer was THAT good, why aren't they making more? Why only limited release? I understand they can't necessarily bulk brew it, but I'm sure that it wouldn't take much to make more then 300l and get it into some specialty retailers/bars. I can't help but feel that 80% of the price is the "limited release" factor and has nothing to do with the actual quality of the drop.

From my perspective I can't see why I'd have one of those when I can have five Murrays Icon 2IPA? (current fav - I'm still learning though ppl!) Maybe get 3 "Trois Pistoles" (a mates current fav, yet to try myself). There is sooooo much variety out there... Plus, my adventures in commercial/craft beers are more about inspiration for homebrewing then they are about finding the ultimate beer.

The carton would want to come with a topless wench for the night for that kind of money!

There are a few very expensive beers currently on the market...Renegade mentioned Redoak Grand Reserve, which probably takes the cake and thensome, and there's Crown Ambassdor which is a bit more affordable at $55 for a 750ml bottle, and of course there's plenty of imported ones...Deus, a few of the Rogue, Nogne O and Mikkeller beers, that can fetch up to $60 a bottle.

In quite a number of cases, these beers are established as the "breweries finest" beers, and often no expensive is spared on making it. So yeah, you should expect to pay a bit more. Pretty much like any winery, they have their stock wine and then they have a reserve, which will often attract a price double (if not more) than the normal product, and might be made from the same grape variety from the same vineyard, but they reserve the best grapes and best oak and more time is put into the creation.

You'd expect Moorilla would have gone to the extra care of assuring a truely exceptional beer and that price tag is justified by the ingredients and processes going into making it. If the beers no good, word will catch on soon enough!

Has each grain been gently cracked by being rolled between Jennifer Hawkins' thighs?

And the missus rolled her eyes when I made $35 for a mixed 3 pack of Unibroue longnecks (La fin du monde, Maudite, Trois Pistoles)...

I'm with Zebba, I think the exclusivity is one of the driving points for the price.

Luckily I don't tend to drink stouts, so I am not tempted this time. I already have most of a case of TEN20 and this years Hop Thief downstairs.

I never touch Redoak beers because they are a plain rip off - I dont care how good they are. The same goes for a lot of microbrews from the east coast that we get over here in WA. And most of them are stale/off anyway and have no use-by date printed on the label. Its really a lottery.

I know there are probably reasons for it (excise etc), but the situation really sux. You dont see local (!) beer costing the equivalent of AUD$20-25 for 4x33cl in Europe, America, Asia, or practically anywhere. The whole boutique beer concept here is a joke. Imported beers are cheaper than our boutique ones!

i admit i w disappointed when i missed out last year. now im not so worried. plenty of beer out there and my palate probably isnt so advanced that i would notice the difference between an $8 stubbie and one that costs $25. i do hope to try it at HOPs though. good value there at $25 for the night!
joe

Well I did purchase two of said beers, both this years and last. I actually still have one of last years in the fridge.

Was it worth the money? Well that depends on a lot of things.
Personally I really enjoy their beers and have spoken with the brewer a couple of times as well as spending some time there on holidays a few years back.
Would I purchase them often at that price? No. It's a birthday pressie from my better half and I also took the opportunity to buy some of their other beers as well as their limited edition pale using Tassie cacade hops - nicknamed the 'gay' pale.

What was the beer itself like? It was nice, I'm not a huge stout drinker but am trying to sample more.

Hey Beernut, See if you can get SWMBO to get you to HOPsters at The New Sydney Hotel on June 25.
Beers are...Cascade 2009 First Harvest, James Squires Hop Thief Ale, Ironhouse Breweries Paddy's Head Stout and Moo Brews 2009 Imperial Stout. All for $25 bucks and nibblies. To all other brewers I have met down in Hobart, this will be my final one before moving to Brisbane on 6th July.

Brew Strong guys..
Cheers

Has each grain been gently cracked by being rolled between Jennifer Hawkins' thighs?

Geoffi

You are another funny man next to BribieG I love the humour you guys come up with. There are times I really crack up with the comments on this forum.

:lol:

Latest posts

Back