Anyone Fancy The New Moo Brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They also cold-freight everywhere but only use dry yeast.

After attending their brewery tour (stand in their now unused brewery at the vineyard and sample the beers), they seem to be targeting the rich folk who can afford $100 for a case of beer and $200+ selection of wines they have on offer i.e. filling a whole in their alcohol beverage product range.

And no, I did not try the stout...

really. when i did the tour last year during tassie beerfest they told me that they use 1272 as theyre ale yeast as they tried 1056 and found it lacked the character they were looking for.also while i was there i tried a bottle of the stout and really enjoyed it. this is a special one of beer in numbered bottles and when you buy one they mark the bottle no down and take your name and email adress to give you first dibs on that bottle number in next years run.

In belgium, the biggest selling beer is a pale lager that the poms refer to as wife beater. They used to respect beer and have largely stopped doing so.
I don't know what the biggest selling beer in Belgium is, it may well be Stella however the beer range there is enormous. There are hundreds of pubs, some big and some small, that sell a large range of styles but I never saw one that wasn't doing a brisk trade. You can tell from the way the beers are listed and presented that there is a strong beer culture. In the US the range is again startling and from that I think it's safe to draw the conclusion that beer culture is thriving. In fact the consensus is that beer culture bottomed out in the mid eighties in the US but since then has been resurgent albeit with the usual business failures brought on by too many people jumping on the band wagon, the same thing happened with wine. WRT to price, both these beer Valhallas don't seem to have a need to charge exorbitant prices to get people to by their product, they charge whats it's worth without attaching an exclusivity premium. Would that it were down here at the arse end of the earth.

For those struggling with the concepts of business, money, free-market economy etc perhaps a picture might help.

fixedsupply.jpg

I have also tried the beer &, like Brenos, found it stale & old tasting, but FFS they can charge whatever they like. Do you think really expensive wine is that much more expensive to produce than reasonably priced wine? Does it even matter?

For those struggling with the concepts of business, money, free-market economy etc perhaps a picture might help.

View attachment 45879

I have also tried the beer &, like Brenos, found it stale & old tasting, but FFS they can charge whatever they like. Do you think really expensive wine is that much more expensive to produce than reasonably priced wine? Does it even matter?
No one's telling them what to charge. I was just gobsmacked by a $600 carton of beer.

As a postscript to this discussion, the IBS here in Perth is about to start taking legitimate shipments of the Sierra Nevada range. They have a fully fledged import arrangement with the brewery that stipulates conditions for the shipping of the beer over and above the standard. So I asked them (with some trepidation) what the prices would be. Turns out SNPA is $21 a six pack and $77.99 a carton. Not bad when you consider how far it's come and I think it compares quite well to the prices of a lot of the locally brewed craft brewed beer.

In belgium, the biggest selling beer is a pale lager that the poms refer to as wife beater. They used to respect beer and have largely stopped doing so.

Same brands.

Different beer.

In Belgium it is brewed in Belgium.

In England it is brewed to a different recipe ... in England. But you knew that.

For the record I don't think anyone should beat their wife just because she's stopped respecting beer.

Do you consider $35 too dear for Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel? mind you thats for 500ml from a little further a field

Chris

For the record I don't think anyone should beat their wife just because she's stopped respecting beer.

You should only beat your wife when she respects beer. OMG

Do you consider $35 too dear for Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel? mind you thats for 500ml from a little further a field

Chris
I dunno, what's the profile. Is it big and hoppy?

I might be going slightly off-topic here, but I bet you most couldn't. Not for an imperial stout, not at prices these days. Back when I coulld pick up a bag of malt for 30$, maybe.

Who says you can't get grain for $30 still ?

I dunno, what's the profile. Is it big and hoppy?
Imperial Oatmeal coffee stout. the coffee comes from the poo of civetcats who eat coffee beans in vietnam. A little more work than Moo brew

Cheers
Chris

Latest posts

Back