Two bottles of Stone & Wood - only $55!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice bottle.Very nice bottle.
I'm sure the beer is very nice, but $55? That is one of the reasons I like to brew my own fancy-schmancy beers.
Maybe I'll save for one for Christmas.

Bet you there will be plenty of smucks out there who will be this stuff

absolutely beautiful beer...
Anyone have any idea what is in this beer, other than what is listed below? And what style is it? Seems similar to a Robust Porter, but I'm guessing it may fall in the category of "other".

We love how… brewing is such an elemental craft. Heating stones up in a wood fire before adding them to a kettle full of “juice” from the grain certainly helps remind us how grounded the essence of brewing actually is.
We love how… Stone Beer provides the opportunity to bring people together. This happens on the brew day and then with the Festival of the Stone when the beer is released. Remember one of the reasons people stopped roaming around alone was because they had to stay in one place to grow grain for brewing beer. Beer had a huge role in humans developing communities and at Stone & Wood we believe our main reason for existing is to help bring people together.
We love how… it tastes! The 2013 Stone Beer is another evolution of the beer. This year we added some chocolate wheat to what was already an eclectic grain bill. Another tweak was marrying a relatively new hop called Enigma to some German nobles – this added a small boost of fruitiness to the powerful malt character across the middle palate. The chocolate wheat kicks in by balancing the finish, which is firm and long. The beer is still very much in that big dark Germanic ale mould. Imagine what the love child of a beautiful bock and handsome stout might drink like and you’re close.

found this:

This year’s Stone Beer is a darker - Rogers says it is "all but black" - and more malevolent drop than previous brews. Like all the beers from the brewery, the flavours find a balance. At 7.2 per cent alcohol, it needs some serious hopping to counter the caramel nut sweetness and this is achieved by the heavy use of two local hop varieties, Summer and Ella (formerly known as Stella).

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/executive-living/food-drink/stone-and-woods-annual-stone-beer-is-here-and-it-rocks/story-e6frg8jo-1226654384625?sv=2ff39739a0ee866919f28e252adc4d1e

Interesting... so; Summer, Ella, "Enigma" and some German noble hops. That's quite a mix of hops for a porter-ish type beer.

petesbrew said:
Nice bottle.Very nice bottle.
I'm sure the beer is very nice, but $55? That is one of the reasons I like to brew my own fancy-schmancy beers.
Maybe I'll save for one for Christmas.
How many stein biers you made Pete?

FWIW, I plan on making one in the next month or two. Need to sort out some logistics first.

Spiesy said:
absolutely beautiful beer...
Anyone have any idea what is in this beer, other than what is listed below? And what style is it? Seems similar to a Robust Porter, but I'm guessing it may fall in the category of "other".
Yeah I pegged it somewhere in between a porter and a stout. Lovely roastiness, full body, yummm...

Back