Moo Brew 2008 Vintage Stout - $25 / Bottle!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never touch Redoak beers because they are a plain rip off - I dont care how good they are.

After going to Redoak for the first time a couple of weeks ago, I would say that its not such a bad 'rip off'. $5.50 for several of the beers in a 250ml glass isnt so extortionate. Again you consider this against nightclbclub/venue pub prices - I often go and see live bands and get charged $7 for a can of VB that they pour into a plastic cup. In fact without doing the calculations, in many Sydney venues, the VB is pricier!

Regardless of where you weigh in on the "value for money" equation, I reckon Moorilla have done a pretty good job on the marketing and presentation side. To me it seems they are specifically targeting the "exclusive"/"boutique" beer crowd.

A couple of noteworthy points on their marketing and strategy (of course a little subjective, but...):

• they managed to market their limited release as "news" via the Mercury >> news.com.au
  • the beer is expensive (compared to most) - but not out of reach and balanced against supply (remember, limited release)
  • they have a modern/catchy/marketable name - "Moo Brew"
  • they have a pretty slick and appealing website
  • they have appealing, minimalist bottles/labels
  • they encourage punters to "reserve" their own personal bottle(s). Each is uniquely numbered, and you may pre-order the same numbered bottle(s) you scored the year before. According to Moorilla, this strategy is paying off dividends with high demand for these exclusive, reserved bottles

I've just been informed from my old man (Stuffa on these forums) that he is picking up a bottle for me tomorrow as a gift. :beerbang:
I went to Moorilla last year when I was down there visiting the olds, and tried the non-aged version from the keg there over a great meal, and was that impressed by it that I went straight to the New Sydney in Hobart (the only other place to have it on keg, not available in bottles) and proceded to have several more by the fire there.
Love the Moo Brew stout and can't wait to try this one.

• they encourage punters to "reserve" their own personal bottle(s). Each is uniquely numbered, and you may pre-order the same numbered bottle(s) you scored the year before. According to Moorilla, this strategy is paying off dividends with high demand for these exclusive, reserved bottles

They actually called me the other day to ask if I was interested in this years vintage and wanted to keep the same numbers I chose last year.
Maybe I'll bring that last bottle to this weeks MALE meet...

i think it's a load of marketing bollocks.

their regular brews such as the excellent pale ale are a regular price on tap in hobart and then you get stung $22/4 pack of 330ml bottles.

and dont get me started on redoak. tried the organic hefeweizen in bottle form and it was passable but not for the price, let alone the ridiculous price they sting you for the reserves which again, aren't works of brewing art compared with what a lot of us on here can bang out in an afternoon in the shed.

when you can get quality craft-brewed beers from the likes of bootleg, feral etc for under $80/carton, a $25 bottle of beer is just that - a $25 bottle of beer.

you reckon thats bad - try $450 for a 375ML bottle...Carlsbergs Vintage No. 1

http://www.theage.com.au/news/entertainmen...1369206849.html

beer_narrowweb__300x542,0.jpg

There is a small percentage of the population that in their relentless quest for status will opt to pay premium prices for a product even if it is in no way superior to the 'standard' version.

I remember hearing a story about a mechanic who set up a business servicing luxury cars. Initially he tried to undercut his competitors' prices, and attracted almost no customers. Then he decided to charge even more than the competitors...and the business took off like Singo's Bentley.

I bought two of these last year. Nice beer. I still have one. I thought it was a bit aldehydic about a year ago.

I also purchased a couple of wild things, I think the wild thing is a better beer. I still have one of these as well. Fantastic balance and a really smooth palate.

I would purchase the wild thing again, but not the Moo Brew.

I enjoyed these beers so much that I have tried to copy them. I figure if you have the brewing skills and have a plan to trial and error, then you can make many liters of this style beer of the price of a Moo Brew 330mL

I pat Moo Brew on the back, there is a market for these 'limited release' beers and they have hit the nail on the head. It is this sort of product/marketing that probably helps them turn a profit and I commend them on their strategy.

A lot of the value of this beer and the wild thing for me was education, I haven't had a lot of this style done commercially, I tried to make one back in my kit brewing days and it turned out like vegemite. So trying these beers showed me what I should be striving for. If I could get in the same ball park as the Wild Thing, then I would be a very happy man.

If any one can clone it it'll probably be you ;), you have a fine palate and olfactory sense!

I'll have the recipe when you're done!

If any one can clone it it'll probably be you ;) , you have a fine palate and olfactory sense!

I'll have the recipe when you're done!

I have already lost a bottle of my first trial to DrSmurto thanks to Buddy Franklin

OK then, so how did it turn out, close? Interested in DrS comments, seems like he is a pretty good cloner as well.

OK then, so how did it turn out, close? Interested in DrS comments, seems like he is a pretty good cloner as well.

First impressions on a very young beer is the Wild Thing is a bit sweeter, but still balanced.

DrS doesn't have his bottle yet...

I remember hearing a story about a mechanic who set up a business servicing luxury cars. Initially he tried to undercut his competitors' prices, and attracted almost no customers. Then he decided to charge even more than the competitors...and the business took off like Singo's Bentley.

Welcome to first year corporate strategy 101.

I got a parcel from Moorilla today with my nicely numbered bottles inside.

Have to say the artwork on the box is quite something, naked bodies writhing around on two sides. SWMBO was home when the parcel guy delivered it, apparently he was a bit embarassed. I got a call at work to ask just what, exactly, have I been buying on the internet.

Might be best to ask for the plain wrapping next time.

grant

You dont see local (!) beer costing the equivalent of AUD$20-25 for 4x33cl in Europe, America, Asia, or practically anywhere. The whole boutique beer concept here is a joke. Imported beers are cheaper than our boutique ones!

hear hear

why pay $25 for a moostout when you could get a lion (sinha) stout for $4?

You had a Moo Brew, now come try QldKev Poo Brew :wub: Chocolate Porter...

$40 for a 740ml bottle and it is yours..... thats cheaper than the Moo Brew; and 100% hand crafted... Each bottle signed by the brewer himself! (please return my washed PET bottles after consumption)

Wack a few more heavier malts, some extra hops and cool it a classic, spend more $$$ on marketing and wait for the $$$,$$$,$$$ to come rolling in....

QldKev

If you all bought just one bottle, maybe it would help other breweries justify doing some more out-there beers.

I wish we did have a lot more micro breweries out there trying to get some decent brews onto the shop floors. But every new beer that comes onto the market is a 'premium beer' and charges waay to much for it. They have already started pushing the stubbie from 375 to 330ml to rip us off, why not go for a 300ml next... I hope for a decent micro brewery that can buy malt/hops in bulk and brew a decent beer for about the same price as we are paying for maga-swills; this is true in nearly every country except Australia..

QldKev

Latest posts

Back