Montieths Triple

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the full press release with all the skinny.

Beers,
Doc

New Release - Monteith's Tripel
Press Release from Monteith's

Monteith's Brewing Company's reputation for exposing New Zealand consumers to rare beer styles steps up a notch in May with the release of Monteith's Tripel - an interpretation of a 700 year old beer style popular with devotees of traditional Abbey beers from Europe.

Typically a high strength malty beer, often bottle-conditioned, Abbey beers are traditionally brewed in Belgium by or on behalf of monks, to have with their meals and for sale to assist with the up keep of their monasteries.

Developed as a very limited 'super specialty' release and sold as a four pack at $12.99 Monteith's Tripel is right-up-there in the specialty craft class of beer.

Head Brewer at Monteith's Barrie Calder says Tripel is style Kiwi beerdrinkers will find fascinating and challenging. "We have always, unashamedly, brewed our interpretation of the style rather than looking to exactly clone a particular beer or style. With Tripel we continue this philosophy making a beer that is true to the theme of a traditional Tripel, but with a characteristic Monteith's twist."

"We have kept as close as possible to the traditional brewing methods.Tripel is made in our craft brewery in Greymouth using generous portions of Munich and Vienna style malts to achieve the solid malt flavour base that is needed for such a strong beer. Hops are a selection of finest quality New Zealand varieties; Green bullet, sack and Pacific hollered. To get the aroma that we wanted we have also used a small amount of American Cascade hop. As common practice, candy sugar is also added for drink-ability. Fermentation is with a lager or bottom yeast for a period of 12 -14 days, with temperatures approaching 20C at the peak. The beer is cold micro-filtered for freshness and the contrast of sweetness and hop bitterness that the Belgian's are renowned for is well-balanced and very noticeable."

Monteith's Tripel will be available in limited quantities for a short duration in select retail outlets and in Monteith's concept bars around the country from 1st May 2006.

Tasting Note provided by Monteith's:

Monteith's Tripel has a beautiful orange/amber colour topped by a creamy white head that looks utterly appetising in the glass. The fruity aroma that wafts from the bottle derives from the complex blend of rich malts used and provides a sweetish, mango and Christmas cake character. The texture is firm with a silky feel that makes this a very drinkable beer with a lingering finish. On the palate an ale/yeast fruitiness comes through, initially sweet,with soft caramel and orange skin flavours that together result in a character reminiscent of a quality fortified wine.

Its' higher than usual alcohol never overpowers but provides a vehicle for the full, rich flavours to fill the mouth, warming every tastebud as it flows over the palate. The late addition of hops provides an initially lively spice note that mellows as you swallow. Monteith's Tripel is a well balanced robust brew in a style seldom seen in this country.

I had the pleasure of trying the Trippel and the new season (2006 Winter) Monteiths Winter.
The Trippel was really drinkable and well balanced. A little darker and maltier than the Belgian trippels, but very enjoyable.
The Winter has been dumbed down a little since I had it on draft last year (in Wellington). They have backed on noticably on the cinnamon. Still a very savourable beer that gets better as it warms up.

Beers,
Doc

Monteiths2006_004__Small_.jpg

If anyone is over in Auckland and they are looking to get the Tripel, head to Glengarry on the corner of Sale & Wellesley Streets (5min walk from the centre of town). The price is 11.95 per 4 pack.

Thsi beer is available at the IBS in perth, for $3.50 per stubbie,

I quite like it, but as reveiwers have mentioned, its a bit too full bodies for style, and probably a bit to dark. Taste is quite similar to Leffe Blonde I think.

yeh i tried this a while ago. qutioe a good beer but far from a triple. too dark and malty. not fruity enough and no complexity. i thoguht it was closer to the coopers strong ale more than a belgian triple

I can't say for sure, but I Reckon the best chance of getting this beer in brisbane would be at one of "the grape" bottle shops, or you could try the belgian beer cafe for an overpriced cold one.

Back