Monteiths

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmsy

Reaction score
Has anyone tried Monteiths Summer Ale?? I pop in my local bottle shop on the way home yesterday and thought id buy a 6er. They had the other range there also. It had a ginger taste to it. Maybe it was "rata honey" they use? That what had put me of as i dont like ginger taste. I wouldnt mind try there Golden Lager and Pilsner

5422.jpg

Try their radler. I think its the best of the bunch.

Cheers Vice.

I tried the Golden Lager. The missus enjoyed it, but whilst i didn't spit it out, I can't say it set my world on fire!

:icon_cheers: SJ

I tried the Golden Lager. The missus enjoyed it, but whilst i didn't spit it out, I can't say it set my world on fire!

:icon_cheers: SJ

+1 - The Golden Lager was just a big glass of "bland", especially after being used to JS Golden Ale :(

The Monteiths Black on the other hand, is a whole different story

I tried the Summer Ale and found it to be a sweet, spicy/gingery drink that is a bit of a thirst quencher - nice on those SE Qld arvos that tend to get a bit sticky. I liked it personally, but I can understand why it would be a bit polarising with the majority of drinkers out there. It would be a drink you either love or hate.

As much as I haven't tried it, I have heard good things about Monteiths Black. A semi-local bottle-o stock most (if not all) of the Monteiths range, so I'll have to have a crack at that sooner rather than later... :chug:

+1 - The Golden Lager was just a big glass of "bland", especially after being used to JS Golden Ale :(

The Monteiths Black on the other hand, is a whole different story

+1 for the black. Haven't seen that up this way for a long time. Might be time to pressure a few bottle-o's.

Have tried both the Doppelbock and Original Ale, loved the Original Ale, whilst the Doppelbock, also called Winter Ale (funny name for a lager??) was also good. But the Original Ale I could definetly have a few of those!! Cant say Ive tried any others though!!

Original_Ale.jpg

Doppelbock_Winter_Ale_729841.jpg

At this bottleo they has a few different style in the fridge and Original Ale and Pilsner where a couple. At $16 a 6 pack i thought that wasnt to bad but i think ill just try a single bottle from now.

Tried the Summer Ale and I'd agree 100% with GravityGuru about this beer. Tried the Radler but it was a bit of a nothing beer for me - no body, little flavor. (Interesting thread on radler style beers). Also had the Celtic Red and found this to be a reasonably enjoyable beer.

sap.

I bought the Monteiths Summer Ale a few weeks ago, and personally thought it was crap. Well, I was really looking forward to a coldie or six after a tough week, but this one, to me, didnt even come across as beer (do they even hop this?). And its not much of a ginger beer either.

I suppose this would be a good social drink at a barbie or an outdoor function, but I doubt I'll buy it again.

My thoughts:

Summer Ale: Great in a hot day when at BBQ or the like.
Pilsner: Also another great hot day drink.
Celtic: Great beer for early on in the night during winter.
Winter Ale: Good when I am in the mood for a complex beer.
Black: Awesome beer.

As for the Golden & Original, I can take or leave them.

The one we can't get over here is the Monteiths Larger; love it a lot.

the best montieths beers are the black and origanal..most of their beers are brewed by dominion brewers in the north island(mega swill)so some oif it could well be swill by our standards ... montys beers are that the seasonal and i think the blank and original is brewed in Greymouth will post pics from 2006 tour of the brewery

the best montieths beers are the black and origanal..most of their beers are brewed by dominion brewers in the north island(mega swill)so some oif it could well be swill by our standards ... montys beers are that the seasonal and i think the blank and original is brewed in Greymouth will post pics from 2006 tour of the brewery

My Mrs and I had a HUUUUUGE night in Greymouth, on the Black and the original. I love the Black, it's a great beer and one I enjoy when I go back home.

Cheers - Mike

PS - a huge night in Greymouth means:

- Getting offered Mary Jane within 4mins of walking into pub - not to buy, just go and share a spliff
- The New Thing To Do at the Pub was Karioke
- Minus 2 deg when walking back to motel room
- The worst mexican food ever - Watties Chili Beans anyone?
- Drinking so much Mont Black that I had 'rabbit' poos the next day
- Getting asked if I wanna work on a fishing trawler for a week, to look after the maori fullas :huh:

I enjoyed the winter bock ale. Not exactly within Bock guidelines, but a great beer nonetheless.

Was in Greymouth NZ in October 2008 and visited the brewery.

Verdict = all shite. Bland, inoffensive and not at all tasty. None of them!

Better than Tui I suppose?!?

1st Choice Cairns has the Montieths Golden Lager, and yes it is the best of their range.

My thoughts:

Summer Ale: Great in a hot day when at BBQ or the like.
Pilsner: Also another great hot day drink.
Celtic: Great beer for early on in the night during winter.
Winter Ale: Good when I am in the mood for a complex beer.
Black: Awesome beer.

As for the Golden & Original, I can take or leave them.

The one we can't get over here is the Monteiths Larger; love it a lot.

Had the Radler on tap in a pub near Circular Quay (The Paragon? I was waiting for a ferry) the other day. Very refreshing. I was expecting a shandy but at 5% and with a much more lemony/lime taste than usual it wasn't like a shandy at all, other than being very easy drinking.

You've all made me want to try the Black now.

I'll have to give the Black a go. I thought the summer ale was way over spiced.

Latest posts

Back