Monteiths

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the black and another one - can't remember the name 'winter wamer' or something similar...

never again...never again

very very bland (almost like the blue tounge ginger beer)

just opened the Montieth Golden Lager, much say unimpressed.

also had one on tap that tasted like lime, that was shocking. Overall, I won't be buying a Montieth product again.

My Mrs and I had a HUUUUUGE night in Greymouth, on the Black and the original. I love the Black, it's a great beer and one I enjoy when I go back home.

Cheers - Mike

PS - a huge night in Greymouth means:

- Getting offered Mary Jane within 4mins of walking into pub - not to buy, just go and share a spliff
- Getting asked if I wanna work on a fishing trawler for a week, to look after the maori fullas

HOLY SH*T - you HAVE been to greymouth :lol: I bet both of those were the same fullas too bro. I can picture it now.

"Tfffffffffffffffft Tfffffffffffffffft TffffffffffffffffT....hey BRO.....Tfffffffftttttttt Tfttttttttttttttt. You wonna work on a fushing trawla Bro? Tfffffffttttttt fkn good pingas al...........tfffffftt.............hey - sumone guv me a shoddy " (said in traditional kiwi accent )

:lol: :lol: There's no place like home. There's no place like home.... :lol:

also had one on tap that tasted like lime, that was shocking. Overall, I won't be buying a Montieth product again.

Could the lime one be the Radler? Ordered one by mistake in Auckland last year thinking Radler was a new type of beer. Very badly mistaken. More like fruity lolly water.

The first time I tried Monteiths I wasn't sure about it, but it grows on you. And do agree that the Black and Original are nice. If you're talking 'choice kiwi beers for the chilly bin' then look out for Emersons Beers and Moa Beers. Those two are really worth discovering.

Hopper.

PS - a huge night in Greymouth means:

- Getting offered Mary Jane within 4mins of walking into pub - not to buy, just go and share a spliff
- The New Thing To Do at the Pub was Karioke
- Minus 2 deg when walking back to motel room
- The worst mexican food ever - Watties Chili Beans anyone?
- Drinking so much Mont Black that I had 'rabbit' poos the next day
- Getting asked if I wanna work on a fishing trawler for a week, to look after the maori fullas :huh:

Hey bro, that's called West Coast hospitality. You know they REALLLYYYYY like you cuz when they ask you to go possum or deer hunting, hey girl??? ;)

Seriously, I spent a few weeks on and off in Westport (about 120 kms up the West Coast). I wasn't too keen try anything out of the ordinary beer-wise at the time (much to my disgust now...), otherwise I would be able to give a detailed account of the Monteiths range. People on the West Coast are certainly a different breed again from your run of the mill Kiwi. It's almost like the place is stuck in a timewarp from 20 - 30 years ago...

I still remember the billboard I saw on the Lewis Pass road across the southern alps... - "If you want to see England, visit Christchurch. If you want to see New Zealand, visit Westport".

:icon_offtopic: I know, I know...

All I can say about monteiths is :icon_vomit:

Macs is the competing brand and is far better IMO, but theyre both just mega swill brands brewed by giants!

Hey bro, that's called West Coast hospitality. You know they REALLLYYYYY like you cuz when they ask you to go possum or deer hunting, hey girl??? ;)

Seriously, I spent a few weeks on and off in Westport (about 120 kms up the West Coast). I wasn't too keen try anything out of the ordinary beer-wise at the time (much to my disgust now...), otherwise I would be able to give a detailed account of the Monteiths range. People on the West Coast are certainly a different breed again from your run of the mill Kiwi. It's almost like the place is stuck in a timewarp from 20 - 30 years ago...

I still remember the billboard I saw on the Lewis Pass road across the southern alps... - "If you want to see England, visit Christchurch. If you want to see New Zealand, visit Westport".

:icon_offtopic: I know, I know...

Very true, we spent a bit of time on the coast, Mum and Dad have a house in Darfield, so it's a hop-skup-jump away, over Arthurs Pass.

Bought a 6 pack of Summer Ale the other day, I had one....PASS :icon_vomit: .... the other 5 is up for grabs.... anyone?

Apart from that the Murrays Blonde, Barons ESB and Mountain Goat Hightail Ale were simply divine :wub:

Cheers

Sully

All I can say about monteiths is :icon_vomit:

Macs is the competing brand and is far better IMO, but theyre both just mega swill brands brewed by giants!

Reviled and myself enjoyed a wonderful trans tasman conversation on Monteiths brews I bought in October / November.
Looks like their beer hasn't improved since then, player !

As a big dark man (pale skinned but love those black beers) I'll give their Black a chance - but only if I look for it !

Bought a 6 pack of Summer Ale the other day, I had one....PASS .... the other 5 is up for grabs.... anyone?

Keep them for visitors !

At least Macs use some hops...

I tried the Summer (?) one, thought it was very bland.

I definitely like the black, but not as far as the general scope of black beers go. I similarly enjoyed a bottle of Sheaf Stout last night. It is swill, but with taste, cos it is black. I would rate it above Old and Sheaf though.

At least Macs use some hops...

I tried the Summer (?) one, thought it was very bland.

I definitely like the black, but not as far as the general scope of black beers go. I similarly enjoyed a bottle of Sheaf Stout last night. It is swill, but with taste, cos it is black. I would rate it above Old and Sheaf though.

as a man that loves his Old and Sheaf Stout, they the are big words. Mighty big words !

Had a Monteiths Summer Ale last friday at Bungalow 8.

Geez, I was expecting an "ale", but I swore I could've been poured a shandy.
Gave it to SWMBO, who said she could taste ginger, and the sis-in-law thought I'd been poured a shandy as well.

Good to find this thread...
Look, it was nice and all, but I should've gone for the Leffe or Hoegaarden (I just have to try something new when I see it).

bought a case of the red beer and wasn't totally impressed -- argh well!

Just got back from a holiday on the South Island. Did the usual tourist things, combined with an interesting exploration of the beers on offer.

I visited Monteith's and tasted the whole range. Also bought six-packs from the supermarket. I liked the Black and the Celtic Red, but all of the others didn't impress. I couldn't help but notice the pallet of white sugar sitting next to the mash tun (secret ingredient of the Original Ale?) Damn forgot to take my camera in!

All-in-all some very nice beers in NZ, and some very bad ones (Tui East India Pale Ale??? WTF???)

WJ

Not so sure about that either.

Maybe Sheaf, its very rough, but its stout afterall.
But as for Old, its full bodied and full flavoured yet sessionable. Monteiths Black, meh, just not alot happening. Goes down easy but not alot going on...bro.

Monteith's really seems to polarise people's opinions.

I liked the Black, loved the Red, forget the rest.

Cheers,
Jake

and some very bad ones (Tui East India Pale Ale??? WTF???)

Just goes to show what a bunch of hot chicks on tv can sell yeah? Dont worry about making a product taste good, just tell em chicks brew it, advertise and they will buy it :icon_vomit: When I was at school, all of my mates were Tui drinkers, I look back and im not surprised I didnt drink beer untill the age of 21 because to me beer was just shit! (obviously not knowing there was other beer than Tui :( )

IMO, the only good NZ beers are the craft beers, Emersons, Epic, Renaissance, Tuatara, Wigram, Green Man, ill maybe have a macs hop rocker or sassy red if im at a bar, but I wouldnt waste my money on it at the supermarkets, just like you guys wouldnt go and buy VB or XXXX, cos you can brew better beer at home for cheaper..

Latest posts

Back