Mmm....Is the Gov starting to crackdown on distilling ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stills and distillation of alcohol Distillation of alcohol
It is illegal to use a still (of any capacity) to distil alcohol, for example spirits, without an excise manufacturer licence. However you can produce beer or wine for personal use.
The penalties for manufacturing spirits without an excise manufacturer licence are:
  • up to two years in prison
  • up to $85,000 or more, or five times the amount of excise duty on the alcohol you have manufactured.
To be granted an excise manufacturer licence we must be satisfied that this is appropriate in all the circumstances, for example security of your premises, and that you will pay the correct amount of excise duty when required.
Excise duty is payable on all alcohol you distil, whether you have a licence to produce it or not. This includes alcohol you distil for personal use.
For more information see:
Stills
To distil alcohol you must hold an excise manufacturer licence, regardless of the size or capacity of the still. If you do not have an excise licence you will need to obtain permission from us for a still over five litres capacity.
You can own a still of five litres or less without permission but only if you are not using it to distil alcohol.
If you are not a licensed excise manufacturer, you must have permission from us to do any of the following with a still over five litre capacity:
  • manufacture the still
  • move or set up the still, for example at your home or commercial premises
  • sell or buy the still, for example by a private sale, online
  • import the still
  • have possession, custody or control of the still.
The capacity refers to the volume of liquid that the still is capable of holding.
Penalties may apply if you do not have the appropriate permission for a still. The penalties are up to $8,500.
Table 1: Do you need permission for a still?
Example

The still is 5 litres and under

No you don’t need permission, however to use the still to distil alcohol you must have an excise manufacturer licence
Yes, you need to apply for permission from the ATO to buy a still over 5 litres, and you must have an excise manufacturer licence

I was given a still

No, you don’t need permission, however if it will be used to distil alcohol you must have an excise manufacturer licence
Yes, you need to apply for permission from the ATO to obtain a still over 5 litres, and you must have an excise manufacturer licence if you plan to distil alcohol

I want to sell, import or manufacture stills

No, you don’t need permission, however to use the still to distil alcohol you must have an excise manufacturer licence
Yes, you need to apply to the ATO for permission for the still you are selling, importing or manufacturing is over 5 lires

I want to buy a still to distil essential oils or water

No, you don’t need permission from the ATO to buy the still
Yes, you need to apply to the ATO for permission to buy the still if its over 5 litres

I hold an excise manufacturer licence

No, you don’t need to apply for permission. You must make sure your licence covers distillation.
No, you don’t need to apply for permission, but you must make sure your licence covers distillation.

Get it done

In a perfect world, the government would serve the people who employ them...

Ducatiboy stu said:
But you still reap the benefits of what the union gained for us in this modern age...dont you....and you know you do
I will admit there was a time and place for unions, a long time ago, but not now, each time wages go up jobs are lost, I have never been interested in working for someone else, and I have worked hard, 7 days a week, no holidays and long hours, mostly overseas.
Now I can relax and spend what time I have left with my wife and daughters.

wide eyed and legless said:
You don't have to be awesome to make and achieve your own goals
No you just have to be able bodied, have some kind of privilege of opportunity and not a massive amount of responsibility for someone else.
I absolutely agree that those who can, should do (and I always have) but there are some who can't.

Yes wobbly it is a massive jump. I'm surprised you could defend such an extremely long bow and keep a straight face

I will admit there was a time and place for unions, a long time ago, but not now, each time wages go up jobs are lost,
Do you charge more now than you did 2 yrs ago....Are you still going to charge the same in another 2-3 yrs as you do now...

Its not just a Union issue.....

manticle said:
Yes wobbly it is a massive jump. I'm surprised you could defend such an extremely long bow and keep a straight face
Maybe ISIL are making stills and selling them to our children.....

I don't, and you can throw the Age Newspaper into that mix too.
Then I take it you don't accept any of the rights and privileges that unions have fought for.

Remember. Your all being monitored and recorded!
You're all going to be round up and hung.

Danscraftbeer said:
Remember. Your all being monitored and recorded!
You're all going to be round up and hung.
Thats ok, I'm going to run for it across the boarder and hope the boarder guard doesn't catch me and put me in prision.

Welcome to the Prision State.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Maybe ISIL are making stills and selling them to our children.....
Well drinking too much spirits may lead to the development of Delerium Tremens or DTs for short.
Take away a D and a T from DISTIL and what's left? Could have uncracked a major conspiracy.

manticle said:
Well drinking too much spirits may lead to the development of Delerium Tremens or DTs for short.
Take away a D and a T from DISTIL and what's left? Could have uncracked a major conspiracy.
Another one for the X Files :ph34r:

I believe all here are familiar with the concept of a DOS attack, what I don't understand is why every tom dick and harry in the country, using a still, selling a still or even thinking about how a still would be another step in their 'brewing' journey all apply, lets face it, the place would stop. As others have said; on the whole the legislation is purely a revenue raising. Stop the place make it cost them money.

You don't have to be awesome to make and achieve your own goals, same as the executives of the unions you will not see any redundancies there, you think they care how many workers get made redundant, course not, you keep paying your union fees keep them in a job with a nice lucrative salary.
i work at a union and our communications bloke got made redundant last week, we also had four organisers made redundant about 18 months ago. Slowing economy, no ones immune

Push and shove. Press on the people and see how they respond.
Best for the people and continue the entire knowledge evolution in my opinion is home made food and beverage and the knowhow to do it all!

NewtownClown said:
It is simple, really; it is all about the MONEY!
Government income from excise is down with the decline in sales of beer and spirits. Wine continues to grow but the government gives that industry a lot in tax breaks and excise rebates. The excise is calculated per litre of alcohol, with beer getting the first 1.15% excise free, so spirits are a good source of income. Make it at home and the government misses the potential revenue.
With a few deaths over the last five years, you can add the pressure of health related interest groups to the pressure from the spirits industry's lobbyists and the government has to act (or lose party "donations" and other support) and they have a ready excuse(s) to do so - income and health and safety.

Home brewed beer comes under the spotlight regularly. A senator from S.A. is the most recent to raise the issue, and it was all about excise. He wanted a "tax" to be applied to home brew equipment and ingredients to make up for the loss in excise income. No government wants to create a new tax and the cost of compliance and collection were calculated to be greater than any benefit would
be
Being a South Australian myself, I and any fellow S A resident knows for a fact the our incompetent,,,err I mean elected government DO NOT introduce new taxes.
Thet are called a LEVY.
We are all some much better for it and of course are more than happy to pay.
Gives us all a nice warm cozy feeling.
True bullshit I kid you not. ;)

panzerd18 said:
But what has made then turn a blind eye for so long and all of a sudden it's in the spotlight?
TAX

Just finished reading all posts,gotta love this site,all areas covered in one topic.
Distilling,ISIS,priests,unions,goverment and apparently someone about to be hung or is " hung". :).

And tax.

I take care of myself, and I can do it far better than any union could ever do.
You must be really tired building all those roads and bridges for yourself, not to mention water and electricity networks and Army bases.

This has absolutely nothing to do with distilling but..... ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1435402869.001032.jpg

See all those little yellow squares?..... They are called RDOs. They are paid for by taking 4 hours a week out of my pay and they are the greatest things ever invented! Without the union they wouldn't be there. Along with a hell of a lot of other things!

Back