Mmm....Is the Gov starting to crackdown on distilling ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We won't need unions ( and workers) in Australia for long, under the new FTA with China any Chinese funded projects over $150 million can bring in their own labour, and they don't need to meet Australian standards... Here's a litle bit of info
CIalSsEUsAA0MFD.jpg

Can't wait for the royal commission into electrocution deaths.

So does this mean that my trials with a closed boiler and a vapor trap so I can do a boil inside without having to worry about getting the steam outside is a no go?

lukec said:
incolink income protection is like a cock flavored lollipop. Useless
How do I know you ask.
I've just been knocked back for it after tearing my ACL and requiring surgery and 4 months of work.
Read fine fine print. If you are basically doing anything you are not covered. The only way to get paid out is by saying " I slipped on the front stairs ".
Unions are awesome, until you need their help.
Damn. That sucks. Can't say I know much about it. Didn't even know I was entitled to it until the card arrived in the mail.
We're with a different mob and was chatting to a retired sparkie about it who had needed it on more than one occasion and was still paid out the considerable balance when he left the job. Only thing he said was don't let them know if it was a sports related injury. All I know is I'm so much better off in this trade than my last so happy to pay the dues if that's all it costs me.

Annnnnd back to the topic of distillation. Hold on. Wasn't there a rule about that somewhere?

Camo6 said:
Annnnnd back to the topic of distillation. Hold on. Wasn't there a rule about that somewhere?
This is a discussion about the regulation and what the gov has planned

We are not talking about how to distill, just the changes possibly being made that could have wider affects on our hobby of brewing.

The mods would have ended it at page 1 post no 3 if it breached the rules

Ducatiboy stu said:
This is a discussion about the regulation and what the gov has planned

We are not talking about how to distill, just the changes possibly being made that could have wider affects on our hobby of brewing.

The mods would have ended it at page 1 post no 3 if it breached the rules
Correct.

Only tongue it cheek Stu. I couldn't give a rat's toss what gets discussed.

I've got no doubt it's a Government move to reduce the loss of taxes from unlicensed sales more so than to reduce deaths from alcohol poisoning.

Wasn't it only a few years ago they banned the sale of smoking paraphernalia? Did they ban the hookah? I know of a few middle eastern folk who like to smoke flavoured tobacco. Wonder if they need a permit to buy one nowadays?

Camo6 said:
Wasn't it only a few years ago they banned the sale of smoking paraphernalia? Did they ban the hookah? I know of a few middle eastern folk who like to smoke flavoured tobacco. Wonder if they need a permit to buy one nowadays?
A Hookah is legal, but illegal if used to illicit drugs

A Waterpipe ( Bong ) is illegal

A Hookah is a form of waterpipe...

Basically if its a proper Hookah and your not smoking illegal drugs in it your ok

Its a bit like homebrew. Legal if you only brew it for yourself and dont supply others or trade it

Getting back on topic, I would doubt very much that the ATO would be making calls about still sales, I would say that if any government department was interested in still sales it would be Customs and Excise.
Just recently the government announced they were going to crack down on the sellers of "Chop Chop' as the government claims to be losing billions to the illegal tobacco trade now that is a path worth pursuing, not what a few of us homebrewers are doing and what paltry sum they could get from us, I know I wouldn't, be losing any sleep over it, and I am sure Tony wouldn't.

Excise is covered by the ATO... Not customs. If you want to store alcohol in a bonded store to avoid paying excise until release to market, it is considered a customs site - but all reporting/admin is still via the ATO.

So.... If anyone is making calls, the ATO/AFP would make sense.

Makes sense to me, a call from the ATO ?( damned certain they don't ) I was under the impression that the ATO don't ring people they send a letter or contact your accountant.
Customs and Excise would be the ones knocking on doors etc but I can't imagine them ringing people or businesses . Surely the would front up in person and introduce the department and themselves .

I was replying to WEAL,s post.

Stand corrected rules changed 2010, the ATO will phone spog I had them phone me a couple of times and was once threatened over the phone that I was going to be audited, after a sleepless night I phoned the same employee who had threatened me and told him that I would welcome an audit, that way the auditors could show me where if anywhere I was doing anything wrong. Never did get audited.

I mentioned the ATO and phone calls due to a story on the radio a couple of months ago which was about scams.
People ringing and saying they were from the ATO etc and getting people's account details and so on.
But thinking a bit more about it it may have been Emails not phone calls,anyway no probs .

i got a text from them (ATO) about 2 weeks back about some PAYG $$ i owe them from years ago...

sadly i could not reply (it would not let me)

but i guess i would have offended someone with my reply....

when i did ring they cannot tell me really what it is for, what the numbers owing are and much info about the issue.
I gave up and said they should not worry about it as i wasn't going to worry about it

GOV may be getting desperate for $$ and are getting ATO to go back over old outstandings

What a bunch of complete fearmongering propaganda drivel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDh9IAQGfEs

Distillers in the US are pushing forward and making ground on legal home distillation and we're going backwards (as is with everything else)

Couldn't be bothered watching the video but other information on the ATO website suggests that excise is payable even if you don't have an excise license and are distilling illegally.

The ATO is right into data matching from all sorts of sources. If they could get there hands on a list of people with stills I wouldn't put it past them to match that against tax returns, centrelink data and bank account information to identify people who are potentially distilling and selling their product illegally. Even if those people were then shut down the ATO would swoop in with deemed assessments for excise, GST and income tax.

I can't see them being that interested in people who do it for their own consumption only. Cost versus benefit doesn't work in their favour.

Apparently all this was started because a bloke in Adelaide got sprung selling his moonshine out of the boot of his car in a pub car park.

The laws have not changed, it is just a question of whether they are going to police it, even if it is only to make an example of somebody.

seamad said:
We won't need unions ( and workers) in Australia for long, under the new FTA with China any Chinese funded projects over $150 million can bring in their own labour, and they don't need to meet Australian standards... Here's a litle bit of info
CIalSsEUsAA0MFD.jpg

Can't wait for the royal commission into electrocution deaths.
The way I read the application for visa 457 the company applying for the visa have to have exhausted their search for Australian or permanent resident workers before visa applications could be submitted, plus the applicant's nominated would still have to have a skills and English language assessment done.

wide eyed and legless said:
The way I read the application for visa 457 the company applying for the visa have to have exhausted their search for Australian or permanent resident workers before visa applications could be submitted, plus the applicant's nominated would still have to have a skills and English language assessment done.
Just like 70% of the plasterers in the commercial game atm...

The paranoid side of me suspects this could be a plot by the Gubberment to lower labour costs by introducing workers willing to work hard for less pay in an effort to bring the unions back under control. Tinfoil hat firmly seated.

Sorry, no more union talk.

wide eyed and legless said:
No, that is not correct, As part of the agreement, China and Australia have signed a Memorandom of understanding on the topic of an “Investment Facilitation Arrangement” (IFA).
The IFA allows a project company registered in Australia but with 50% Chinese ownership to bring in Chinese workers for a proposed infrastructure development project. The development must be projected to involve capital expenditure of A$150 million over its term.
There is no requirement under the MOU for labour market testing. This means the project company will not need to prove that they are unable to source Australians to work on the project. There is no requirement to prove that there is a skill shortage or that the project company has had recruitment difficulties in enticing Australian workers. (This is different to the 457 Visa program, where employers are supposed to show they have tried and failed to find Australian workers for jobs, before hiring skilled foreign workers.)

No need to be paranoid camo, the government has just by passed the union movement altogether , big projects won't need any aussie workers, and the workers they bring in don't need to meet Aust. standards.

Latest posts

Back