Mmm....Is the Gov starting to crackdown on distilling ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
From another forum..

Hi all

I know some of you are into the distillation of alcohol and like to discuss your ideas. The ATO & AFP etc are now beginning to look more closely at stores that sell stills and at sites that allow such discussion. I know this because my wife works at a brew store and they have had several contacts lately regarding the sale of stills and changes to the conditions by which they can be sold. One these is that a licence will soon be required to purchase a still. As such I am requesting that no further discussion take place on HBDU involving such matters.

Hopefully you will honour my request. Those that that don't may find their account here being closed.

Thanks

Simon

Yeah, my LHBS was telling me yesterday he got a call asking about the "condensation units" he sells
Just when I thought we were on the road to legalizing home distillation :/

Is this a relation to the deaths in India recently related to bad spirits?

panzerd18 said:
Is this a relation to the deaths in India recently related to bad spirits?
I would say it has more to do with illegal production of spirits...

It always has been illegal and the Gov just turned a blind eye

Not anymore it would seem

But what has made then turn a blind eye for so long and all of a sudden it's in the spotlight? I'm asking if the deaths in india were a contributing factor, or did this crackdown occur before that event?

panzerd18 said:
But what has made then turn a blind eye for so long and all of a sudden it's in the spotlight? I'm asking if the deaths in india were a contributing factor, or did this crackdown occur before that event?
Who knows how our beloved current Gov works.

I didnt actually know anything about what happened in India untill you mentioned it

Could home brew now also come under the spotlight..

When a country sinks into fascist dictatorship, tighter and tighter controls begin to be applied to the population. Look out for compulsory ID cards, travel permissions etc.

Clearly the next step........

Busy little buggers this government also cracking down on torrent downloading and the 'Bruce Jihadists' Book your one way first class seat to Damascus and good riddance.

Cannot see a problem with distilling as long as you don't sell onward or kill the neighbours and friends. Probably more illegal stills in Saudi Arabia pint of Sid and coke boys.

The numbers will answer the question.
If there are 10000 people making 1 carton of beer a week at $25 a pop that is $250000 a week. $13000000 a year. $1.3m gst.
If 10000 people make 1 bottle per week at $35 that is $350000 a week. That is $18200000 a year. $1.82m get.
If you pay $1m in brothel fees, bottles of wine ,pens, airfares, the return could be massive. A high profile lawyer has recently explained it.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Who knows how our beloved current Gov works.

I didnt actually know anything about what happened in India untill you mentioned it

Could home brew now also come under the spotlight..
It is simple, really; it is all about the MONEY!
Government income from excise is down with the decline in sales of beer and spirits. Wine continues to grow but the government gives that industry a lot in tax breaks and excise rebates. The excise is calculated per litre of alcohol, with beer getting the first 1.15% excise free, so spirits are a good source of income. Make it at home and the government misses the potential revenue.
With a few deaths over the last five years, you can add the pressure of health related interest groups to the pressure from the spirits industry's lobbyists and the government has to act (or lose party "donations" and other support) and they have a ready excuse(s) to do so - income and health and safety.

Home brewed beer comes under the spotlight regularly. A senator from S.A. is the most recent to raise the issue, and it was all about excise. He wanted a "tax" to be applied to home brew equipment and ingredients to make up for the loss in excise income. No government wants to create a new tax and the cost of compliance and collection were calculated to be greater than any benefit would be

NewtownClown said:
pressure from the spirits industry's lobbyists and the government has to act (or lose party "donations" and other support) and they have a ready excuse(s) to do so - income and health and safety.
Large business lobying the Government...................you cant be serious..its US the voters that the Governemnt has it best interests in..... :lol:

NewtownClown said:
Home brewed beer comes under the spotlight regularly. A senator from S.A. is the most recent to raise the issue, and it was all about excise. He wanted a "tax" to be applied to home brew equipment and ingredients to make up for the loss in excise income. No government wants to create a new tax and the cost of compliance and collection were calculated to be greater than any benefit would be
If this was to happen, we would all become very good at malting our own grain that we bought for our "daughters pony" and our backyards would become very full of a certain type of plant.

although I believe this will always be the case where it is too hard to police, therefore making it non-profitable for the government in the long run to crack down.

Rob.P said:
If this was to happen, we would all become very good at malting our own grain that we bought for our "daughters pony" and our backyards would become very full of a certain type of plant.

although I believe this will always be the case where it is too hard to police, therefore making it non-profitable for the government in the long run to crack down.
How many people would malt their own grain and could grow their own hops? Not many I would imagine. Homebrewing would be mostly killed off.

Cost benefit people. The excise missed out on is not worth the effort. ATO and other Commonwealth law enforcement are probably too busy with other stuff to worry about backyard stills or homebrew beer. Priorities dictate resources. I am more surprised about a lack of attention re 'essential oil' distillation..

Mattfos01 said:
Cost benefit people. The excise missed out on is not worth the effort. ATO and other Commonwealth law enforcement are probably too busy with other stuff to worry about backyard stills or homebrew beer. Priorities dictate resources. I am more surprised about a lack of attention re 'essential oil' distillation..
They would rather spend money on union witch hunts and inquiries into the ABC....

And $250m for priests in schools....

Latest posts

Back