Mmm....Is the Gov starting to crackdown on distilling ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bridges said:
Not everyone is as awesome as you are though. Ever thought maybe you'd like to help workers who are not in a position to look after themselves. Hence unions. Sometimes life is about thinking about others. It's the most vulnerable members of our society that need the most help.
I'm self employed and I've bent over backwards to help someone get himself out of the mess that he's created and he's let me down so many times.

I picked him up in the morning and dropped him off at the end of the day.

Rang him the other day to make sure was good to work.

Because of his dire situation, he asked if I could pay him cash. Being the soft hearted employer that I am, I said that I would this once, but that I couldn't do it again, he sent me a text the next morning to say he was stressing out and that he couldn't work. He's just missed out on some really good pay and I'll never offer him anything ever again. The bloke is a bankrupt, fucked up, dumb ****.

The unions aren't the only ones trying to help people.

I was never interested in joining a union when working in the auto industry. Considering the size of the businesses I worked for and seeing the owners on a daily basis it would have felt like biting the hand that feeds me.
But I'm now in the building industry where unionism has helped standardise the industry and put everyone on a somewhat level playing field. I was happy to join the union considering they're the reason I get rdo's, income protection, long service leave rollover etc. Heck, I even worked a night shift the other week and got paid to sleep the following day.
Unions are awesome...when you belong to one!

(Spelling)

There are some people you can't help, and a lot of those people who you do try to help if something goes wrong you are the first they will blame

jyo said:
Then I take it you don't accept any of the rights and privileges that unions have fought for.
Not personally, if I didn't work I didn't get paid, if I was sick, I didn't get paid, if I wanted a holiday, I didn't get paid, I am personally responsible for my own super, I never got RDO's. I got paid on achievement, and the rewards are high. As for my employees they got the benefit of what the unions had negotiated plus more.

Bribie G said:
Leave it to the experts, they have a perfect playbook to follow
It didn't get Adolf Hitler very far, in fact if he hadn't changed his name he wouldn't have even got started, Heil Schicklgruber, just doesn't have the right ring to it.
Plus who would take notice of the writings of a madman.

lmccrone said:
i work at a union and our communications bloke got made redundant last week, we also had four organisers made redundant about 18 months ago. Slowing economy, no ones immune
Could be part of the problem, a slowing economy, that and the fact there are not as many members to keep the coffers filled, which is hardly surprising when there is the bad publicity of union leaders involving intimidation, coercion, violence and procuring prostitutes.

In my younger days I once worked in a factory where I was wrongly sacked for something I had no control over, I went and seen the shop steward asking about help from the union in getting my job back, he said there isn't much he could do in a "single issue" such as mine. Apparently taking my fees was ok but when I needed help all I got was "sorry mate". After that I started my own business and made my own dealings, now after reading lately of the way some high up people in the union are rorting and spending the money I'm glad I never had to join a union again.

Edit: Spelling

wide eyed and legless said:
Plus who would take notice of the writings of a madman.
Plenty of people read The Daily Telegraph...and the columists who write in it

Tony Abbott once famously said that you have to believe what he writes...not what he says

Maybe change title of the thread to "Unions and their role in industrialisation"?
Or on topic...
Biggest drama with distilling is Stu's post earlier. It's legal under certain circumstances, but well in the too hard basket for most Aussies. And it's fair to say that a lot of people do it illegally (I know a handful). It's one of those stupid areas though where it's legal to sell the tools to carry out an activity most often done illegally.
Can the 'government' (or whoever's making the phone calls) take products off shelves on this basis?
The net result won't achieve much. People purchasing these items legally will be hindered, retailers make less money, and people doing illegal distilling will still get hold of sugar and yeast and won't be rushing to the bottleshops paying big taxes. I think if the government is serious about this they would be targeting individuals rather than companies because unlit matey they're the ones breaking the law. The retailer might be enabling it, but I don't know that there's anything legally putting them in the wrong. Are they required to ask for a licence before selling a still? Or yeast?
Bigger fish to fry in my opinion, so they're taking the easy option which is hardly surprising.

I do so love these topics, people are so keen to announce their own capacity to look after themselves without the assistance of anyone else, the funny thing is the people that always seem to support this attitude are normally always in a good financial position or are on the way up to this with everything looking rosy. I haven't found too many conservatives pushing these views living in poverty.

Then again there's always this guy:

3428610807078058787.jpeg___1_500_1_500_cb94de6a_.png

I think a lot of distillers are their own worst enemy. In my experience most distillers tend to do extra for selling and profit purposes above their own requirements. I wonder if this has any reflection on store sales thus some of the concerns.
Cheers

The problem is that a still is relatively easy to make. You just need a ******, some *****...with a bit of *****.

You can make one a hell of a lot cheaper than you can buy one. And most people I know that do distill made their own

grott said:
I think a lot of distillers are their own worst enemy. In my experience most distillers tend to do extra for selling and profit purposes above their own requirements. I wonder if this has any reflection on store sales thus some of the concerns.
Cheers
that BS right there

many i know have never sold, they may give some away but asking for money is a quick way of getting in the shit with the cops etc...

they are going to have to put a cop at every supermarket and plumbing shop to control distilling.... all you need is sold there
you dont have to set foot in a HBS to (and i suggest you avoid HBS shops for equipment anyway) to gather the best ingredients and equip.

over the last 20 years just like homebrewing we have far better equipment and knowledge than before, internet and like minded people have improved it in fantastic ways

manticle said:
Yes wobbly it is a massive jump. I'm surprised you could defend such an extremely long bow and keep a straight face
That said and in the interests of balance, I can't really see the introduction of Adolf as especially relevant to the issue of government purportedly cracking down on something that's already illegal. I'm not that smart sometimes though.

First they came for the home distillers, and I did not speak out- Because their product is mostly shit.

Then they came for the home brewers, and I did not speak out- Because I don't brew much anymore and their product is mostly shit.

Then they......Well, then I moved to NZ. Legal home brewing and distilling. Awesome beer from the micros (and the big brewers craft lines). Deer everywhere. Rabbits everywhere. Giant kingfish. Giant trout. Live greenlip mussels in the supermarket at $5 a kilo. Its full of Kiwi's but thats the only bad side to the place I found.

Maheel said:
that BS right there
Actually its not.

There have been recent cases where people have been arrested for selling illegal spirits....to kids FFS ( that was actually in Coffs Harbour )

I know of a person here that sells it for about $20 a bottle

they are going to have to put a cop at every supermarket and plumbing shop to control distilling.... all you need is sold there
are you saying that cops don't make their own booze ? :lol:

incolink income protection is like a cock flavored lollipop. Useless
How do I know you ask.
I've just been knocked back for it after tearing my ACL and requiring surgery and 4 months of work.
Read fine fine print. If you are basically doing anything you are not covered. The only way to get paid out is by saying " I slipped on the front stairs ".
Unions are awesome, until you need their help.

Camo6 said:
I was never interested in joining a union when working in the auto industry. Considering the size of the businesses I worked for and seeing the owners on a daily basis it would have felt like biting the hand that feeds me.
But I'm now in the building industry where unionism has helped standardise the industry and put everyone on a somewhat level playing field. I was happy to join the union considering they're the reason I get rdo's, income protection, long service leave rollover etc. Heck, I even worked a night shift the other week and got paid to sleep the following day.
Unions are awesome...when you belong to one!
(Spelling)

Gotta love this union debate.

I can somewhat understand the need for unions in the protection of workers against exploitation by big business in localised economies, but we live in a global world now.

If you down tools because the union tells you to, some much poorer Chinese or Bangladeshi worker will happily put their hand up and that's where the business will eventually go.

It seems to me that manufacturing is dying in Australia, in part because the unions are trying to hold on to the good old days. The expression "cut of your nose despite your face" springs to mind.

Come and get me fellas... :)

Its not the unions that are causing manufacturing to die in Australia....Unions have actaully tried to help business's stay afloat by taking pay cuts etc

If you wanted something made and it cost $100 to get made here and $10 to be made in China....what would you do

Ducatiboy stu said:
Its not the unions that are causing manufacturing to die in Australia....Unions have actaully tried to help business's stay afloat by taking pay cuts etc

I said "in part" meaning they are a deterrent to investment.

If you wanted something made and it cost $100 to get made here and $10 to be made in China....what would you do
Depends if I was getting extra 90 bux in quality / value. ;)

Latest posts

Back