MillMaster MkII keyway size

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattSR

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

In 2011 I purchased a MillMaster MK2 stainless steel mill, which I am now getting around to motorizing. I have seen several posts in here that say that the mill has a 12mm shaft with a 4mm keyway, but when I measure the metal key with a ruler, it seems to be 3mm square.. Am I going mad or are there different versions of the drive shaft?

Cheers,
Matt

Should be 4mm. It also comes with the key steel (which is a nice touch)

Cheers,

Nick

That's the problem - both the included key steel and notch on the mills shaft are 3mm (double checked it) but everywhere I look, it says 4mm :ph34r:

Strange! I'll measure mine to double check tomorrow.

This gets stranger - the Mill is definitely a Millmaster MK2 stainless steel with ball bearings as described in this thread here --> http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/52403-millmaster-price-slash/

However measuring the shaft and keyway with a steel ruler, it appears to have a 1/2" shaft with a 1/8" keyway (which is fairly close to 3mm). It appears that 1/8" keys are the standard size for a 1/2" shaft as well according to this PDF --> http://www.transeals.com.au/catalogues/files/Transeals_Keyway%20chart.pdf

I'll take the mill and the Motion Dynamics motor into the LoveJoy coupler dealer so I can make sure I get the right dia coupler but it does appear to be that I have a Mk2 with a 1/2 inch shaft!

Cheers,
Matt

Well yeah - that's why I posted the link to the standard key sizes.

The big question is - which standard are we using? ;)

Have to agree with Dbs :) but go with the specifications the mill came with as measuring with a ruler will get you close but not close enough.
Grab a cheapy digital caliper from the hardware shop to check the sizes, rather than relying on a ruler or tape measure.
Cheers...spog...

It is confirmed - its a 1/2" shaft with standard square key (1/8" square). The earlier MillMasters had the 12mm shaft.

Cheers,
Matt

Just to re-confirm it, my LoveJoy L075 coupler arrived today, the 1/2" size fits the MillMaster Mk2 perfectly and the 12mm side fits the 12mm galvanised steel shaft I purchased from Bunnings. All set to move onto the next phase - building the stand!

MattSR said:
Just to re-confirm it, my LoveJoy L075 coupler arrived today, the 1/2" size fits the MillMaster Mk2 perfectly and the 12mm side fits the 12mm galvanised steel shaft I purchased from Bunnings. All set to move onto the next phase - building the stand!
You've got a hole drilled in your shaft for a R-pin, or something similar, yeah?

This is for the connection between the Motion Dynamics gearbox and the 12mm drive shaft yeah? I'm going to drill a 4mm hole and put a high tensile bolt through it. I've also been thinking of ways to attach a magnet and hall effect sensor to the shaft so I can have a fancy RPM readout as well.

MattSR said:
This is for the connection between the Motion Dynamics gearbox and the 12mm drive shaft yeah? I'm going to drill a 4mm hole and put a high tensile bolt through it. I've also been thinking of ways to attach a magnet and hall effect sensor to the shaft so I can have a fancy RPM readout as well.
Prob better with an R-clip. You want to have a relatively weak (and inexpensive) link somewhere. If my mill hits a rock or some foreign matter, the R-clip will snap - not the desk.

Yes - In the mean time I could use an R clip until Motion Dynamics release their current/thermal limiting motor controller.

Latest posts

Back