Are all Mills created equal?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yob said:
That's not what cocko said...
I see what you did there!

On topic: I have a monster mill and have to spin the idle roller back in to action as it stalls, often. That said it is very old, if upgrade time comes around I will be going a Mashmaster mini.

Or if I win lotto maybe a Wolf just in case I need to do 300kg in an hour.

I have the original MillMaster.
My son-in-law has the MillMaster Mini.

Both are awesome pieces of kit, and best of all, they are geared.

Do yourself a favour, buy one of these and you are set for life.

I have a mashmaster mini mill.
It is a well made piece of machinary but is extremely slow at milling grain. 8 or 9 kg takes 20 minutes. The grain for a quad batch can take up to an hour to mill at 1.5mm gap setting.
Ive tried motor speeds from 60rpm up to about 500rpm.

Its a great looking mill but I reckon it needs a more aggressive knurling on the rollers.

They say the poor man pays twice, with that in mind, is it really worth worrying about?

You know you want it, you know you can justify the extra $$$ because you save that on BULK BUY GRAIN and you will only have to make the purchase ONCE, if you get a cheap one, you might have to spend similar again in a couple of years or purchase the good one then and all you have done is delay the initial cost..

You know you want it.....

do it..

smokomark said:
It is a well made piece of machinary but is extremely slow at milling grain. 8 or 9 kg takes 20 minutes. The grain for a quad batch can take up to an hour to mill at 1.5mm gap setting.

Its a great looking mill but I reckon it needs a more aggressive knurling on the rollers.
wow! Mine does 3kg/minute. Rpm is about 150. How wide is your feed? just checked mine and it is 10mm x length of roller. that is CC thickness for BIAB.

smokomark said:

I Just bought the mini mill. Tonight I smashed out over 10 kg of grain between sips of beer just about. Definitely under 10 minutes and that was 5 different grains milled separately.

Edit..
Schpellink

smokomark said:
You should also add that your mill is solar power driven and it's winter.

And you're in the South Pole...

Jokes. Mine has no problem with speed. But speed isn't necessarily the best judge of a quality mill. I generally run mine at just over half speed.

I have posted this before, but the drill I have, is http://www.ozito.com.au/ozshd1500wa

It is really quite awesome and just goes straight on. The best thing is it is cheap, really high torque and works at low speed, which is what you need.

EDIT: It has a little wheel that you can turn to adjust the speed and just keep it on by itself, rather than holding the trigger.

Cheers,
Idzy

Latest posts

Back