Milk, Absolute Bloody Scandal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Permeate-free milk made the best tasting and textured home-made yoghurt that I've managed to make so far.
However, I'm not sure if that is related to permeate, that the milk was 'extra creamy' or the fact I used my Aldi-urn and a digital controller to keep the temperatures exactly where they should be.

The culture in jalna tubs is pretty good for making curd. Nice firm curd (yoghurt), a little sourness as there should be.

talking the Jalna natural version here. Never had a problem as long as using full cream fresh milk.

Well the barricades have fallen and the troops rejoice.

Today as I walked into Aldi the posters in the window proclaimed "All Aldi fresh white milk is now permeate free"

Apparently Coles and Woolies to follow fairly soon.

B) B) B) B)

Well the barricades have fallen and the troops rejoice.

Today as I walked into Aldi the posters in the window proclaimed "All Aldi fresh white milk is now permeate free"

Apparently Coles and Woolies to follow fairly soon.

B) B) B) B)
Homegenisation, severly limited -yay! Will we now target pasturisation?
Then we can complain about reduced shelf life - oh the joy!

On a side note the 2 big boys want to keep their milk the same price, as part of the price war, however not using permeate will add 10-15 cents a litre. The dairy farmers believe the supermarkets don't want to pay the extra coast and will try to squeeze it from the farmers. If that's true those guys can't catch a break.

Homegenisation, severly limited -yay! Will we now target pasturisation?
Then we can complain about reduced shelf life - oh the joy!

Completely different - avoiding homogenisation does not pose a health risk.

That said, I'd love to see some unhomogenised and unpasteurised dairy products become more widely available here. Proper French cheese mmmmmmmmmmmm

Completely different - avoiding homogenisation does not pose a health risk.

That said, I'd love to see some unhomogenised and unpasteurised dairy products become more widely available here. Proper French cheese mmmmmmmmmmmm

Yes they are different.
Point being Manticle is that 'Homogenised and Pasturised' has been displayed on bottles for donkey's years, it's just people did not know that homgenisation = permeate. Permeate addition is nothing new. The milk has been good enough previously; the milk has probably* not changed, our perception of it has. This whole debacle probably took 40 years to catch up with what was going on.

*I wouldn't be surprised if the 'Big Two' had increased permeate levels for increased profit margins.

I agree with what you're saying Malted, but I don't think homogenisation meant the addition to permeate to create a homogenous product across the range. Homogenisation (I understood) refers to homogenising the cream and milk, so that the cream doesn't separate out from the milk. I remember when milk was delivered in the old style bottles and I'd eat the cream off the top of the top before my brother and sister could get to it. Kinda ruined the rest of the milk (made it essentially skim milk) but the cream tasted so good. When homogenisation came in, I had to share the creamy goodness.

I do agree with

Permeate addition is nothing new. The milk has been good enough previously; the milk has probably* not changed, our perception of it has.

it's just people did not know that homgenisation = permeate. Permeate addition is nothing new.
Homogenization does not have to equate to the addition of permeate.
The theory/principle of homogenization is to break up the fat so that it does not separate out during storage resulting in the 'creamy' layer ontop.
Obviously permeate could be included in that process to also standardize the milk across farms/seasons, but it does not have to, even the 'permeate free' milks are usually homogenized (which sucks for the easy availability of good cheese making milk).

Obviously permeate could be included in that process to also standardize the milk across farms/seasons, but it does not have to

Yes perhaps I did not phrase it as well as I could have. It sounded like I was suggesting that it was always in the product. I should have said 'could equal', at any rate this above seems like a much better way.

A couple of our local dairy producers in SEQ offer "pasteurised homogenised" and "pasteurised only" with the rich cream on the top. It's nice jersey milk as well. Pasteurisation came in mainly to control tuberculosis. When I was a kid we used to get tested at school annually with "skin prick" and if we didn't show immunity then next thing we were being approached with a big scary needle. :(

Homogenisation also has the added benefit of making the milk appear whiter due to the smaller size of the fat globules.

The biggest irony of the virulent 'anti-permeate' ad campaigning is that one of the principal companies involved was under the spotlight themselves just a few years ago, for the permeate content of their milk. Now they are proudly permeate free, with a dinky-di Aussie farmer proudly spruiking their milk as the true-blue stuff in a 30 second slot on the telly.

The 'common person' is also completely unaware of the level of processing that goes into their milk. It is stripped, separated, standardised, sent to all the appropriate product streams and reformed. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this, the issue is just the disparity between common and professional knowledge of the process. The whole permeate issue is just a big old sensationalised game of catchup in general knowledge.

What it all comes down to is reactionary moves to Coles initial volley in the price wars... the one-dollar milk. A disgusting move that has sparked repercussions on our entire national food chain that will be felt for decades to come.

It also tastes like shit. Must be the permeate.

World wide bacon shortage.

The pigs can eat the permeate and grow extra ribs for our bacon.

luckily ham, pork chops, pork roasts and spare ribs are all safe from the world wide shortage. It's just bacon that's under threat.

IWonderHowGullibleTheAverageConsumerReallyIsPunkin

Well, it's been going on for a long time and people, well they don't really care aslong as the prices stay the same. Apparently Australia is going to be the first country to grow genetically modified wheat, and no one batts an eyelid over that! Go figure..

Anyone remember years ago when they kicked up a stink about our fuel having ethanol in it.

Permeate free milk means more waste (given permeate comes from the milk anyway) which means more cows farting, which means more global warming.

My guess is Coles and Woolies both go permeate free, and then bring out "green" milk (there marketing will do a better job of a name), which is milk with permeate added back to it, and the government will ban milk that doesn't have permeate because its not environmentally friendly.

Fairly gullible, I'd say. But not entirely in the way you imagine.

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/mon...e_of_pork_.html

That's actually exactly the way i'd imagined...

It all began, strangely enough, with a press release from an obscure foreign trade association. The National Pig Association of the United Kingdom, you see, wants British customers to feel OK about the idea of paying a higher retail price for pork products. Theyd particularly like it if British customers went out of their way to buy locally produced pork. And why wouldnt they?
Vendors want you to buy more of their product at higher prices is more or less the ultimate dog bites man (or, as the case may be, pork chop) story. But the press releases provocative ledeA world shortage of pork and bacon next year is now unavoidablecaptured the imagination of the Internet. Not right away, mind you. The release is dated Sept. 20, but the looming bacon shortage didnt start making global headlines until Tuesday, Sept. 25.

That's actually exactly the way i'd imagined...
The way in that there is actually a legitimate reason for the price of pork products to rise?

Keep sippin' that Kool-Aid.

Latest posts

Back