Milk, Absolute Bloody Scandal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Careful, manticle. If you mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Look at you...it is rare to see you working blue.

On your feet everyone, you've just witnessed the cream of bovine pun-ery.

"Bad cow pun"

From Cows with guns, I think by Dennis Leary lol

i agree,tell everyone what IS in your product,tell the truth,then we all know what we are buying and if you /the producer/retailer are honest then your brand/product will be a "hot item" and make $ ....cheers.........spog.......quote name='practicalfool' date='Jun 27 2012, 09:52 PM' post='928940']
For more than 9 years, I still don't get it why it is not law here to list the proper names of ingredients on packaging. Processers are allowed to paraphrase country of origin information, hide chemicals used to process behind generic names...

I remember when the most popular brand of sunflower oil sold in India was caught to have been adulterating it by adding stuff to it, the company collapsed. Their entire product, which was their thing in the market, disappeared completely. That is the power of transparency, the government and 'agencies' don't always know best. No organisation is immune from political and commercial pressure.

Read an article up here 2 days ago that dairy farmers (the cooperative) will stop adding permeate to their milk. I'm pretty sure that mungali creek (bio dynamic) dairy doesn't either. More expensive to buy but their plain yoghurt is so tasty you wouldn't want to go back, crust of yellow buttery creamy goodness on top of each pot of yoghurt. mmmmmm
[/quote]

just reread my post from last night,came across as an piss take at you Bribie G.
not what i was getting at/nor intending.....cheers...spog......(no doubt i will screw up in the future...again)
my brother wont eat sausages,he claims they are made from bulls balls and cows #$^*s :lol: ...cheers......spog.....quote name='Bribie G' date='Jun 25 2012, 05:27 PM' post='928013']
The whole point is that the average joe in the street doesn't know about this. For example if I bought "Fresh Beef Mince" from Woolies and had it analysed and found that it actually contained 20% ground up unsold smallgoods from the deli bar that they would otherwise have to toss out, I'm sure the local fair trading would have a thing or two to say.

Now mince with ground up smallgoods might be quite palatable and even desirable in some recipes - could make a cracking spag bog sauce - but they should declare it onthe label, and to do it secretly is unethical IMHO.

20120629_112447.jpg

Thread closed, **** Woolworths. :icon_cheers:

Edit: a pic from photobucket should display above, not working at the moment by the looks.

So now they're adding it for no charge?
Can't be fairer than that I spose..

Well that's a point. I expect Queenslanders of the average intelligence out there will now be asking for their Permeate voucher at the checkout ("I'll have my roots and tips done as well please") <_<

Thread closed, **** Woolworths. :icon_cheers:
Don't close the thread, I have this in the fridge thanks to you and this thread (since I'm not the media junky that most others are and didn't know about it before.
milk.jpg

Not that I care about permeate per se, but now that I know it's included in Coles-milk, I hope that this stuff (as well as being 'extra creamy') will make better yoghurt.
(Which I'll reculture from the tub on the left not SWMBO's horrible fake custard on the right.)
In the past DIY yoghurt has been a runnier than I'd like, so maybe it will turn out better without what is essentially whey added back in.

In the past DIY yoghurt has been a runnier than I'd like, so maybe it will turn out better without what is essentially whey added back in.

Try stirring a little full cream milk powder into it. From memory, I use a couple of tablespoons per litre.

On an unrelated note, I believe the phrase 'limited addition' gets bandied about far to liberally nowadays..

Try stirring a little full cream milk powder into it. From memory, I use a couple of tablespoons per litre.
Don't you mean "milk solids" - at least that is what they call it on the ingredient label. ;)
But yes I do add a spoon or two of powdered milk.

Don't you mean "milk solids" - at least that is what they call it on the ingredient label. ;)
But yes I do add a spoon or two of powdered milk.

Are permeates a by-product of making milk solids?

OMG! Bribie! What are you doing man? This would have been perfect for recycling an old photo! Wasn't this one of your previous favourites?

Permeate_free.jpg

I use Devondale point 1 milk in my tea

used to use shape

had a look at the label ---- skim milk with added milk solids etc , basically , no mention of permeate

rang Devondale and asked if it contained permeate

the fellow on the end of the line at Devondale and he said he word talk to the manufacturer ( who was on the label ) and they would send me a letter -- could take 2 weeks

He said other milk products use permeate , but permeate from cheese whey is illegal to add to fresh milk products

Latest posts

Back