Milk, Absolute Bloody Scandal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since Coles & Woollies decided that milk had to be a $1 a litre, the dairy producers have had to find ways to make it cheap.
You can still buy proper milk, you just have to pay more for it.

Since Coles & Woollies decided that milk had to be a $1 a litre, the dairy producers have had to find ways to make it cheap.
You can still buy proper milk, you just have to pay more for it.

Exactly right...if you want milk straight from the cow, no bullsh*t (excuse the pun), you can get it.

I have a friend who even gets his milk unpasteurised, slightly illegal but he is a health freak and full on vego

There was a controversy in the USA recently about pink slime, or recovered meat. This is the crap meat boiled to remove fat and treated with ammonium, then added to patty mince for burgers. They have to add heaps of salt to make it palatable. Once the name became public they had to stop selling it.

Local Adelaideans should keep their eyes open for Tweedvale Milk, from the Adelaide hills.

Unhomogenised, permeate free.

It costs a lot more than $1/L but it is worth it. Let the full cream milk sit in the fridge overnight and there is a big lump of cream on the top. Makes the creamiest lattes!

No affiliation other than i live nearby. They also make a gorgeous double cream. I use it instead of icing on cakes. :icon_drool2:

The permeate in milk is no scandal, or at least it shouldn't be if you actually spend a minute or 2 thinking about what you are buying/consuming.

Reconsitituing a food product is very common, the majority of orange juice is (a portion is boiled and then added back to ensure no seasonal variation in the cheap products, this concentrate is normally imported). Have a think about the fact you are buying something that is 'fresh' and yet lasts 2-3 times longer now than it did 10-20 years ago. Mother nature hasn't done this, we have.

Home brand anything from the big 2 is bad for everyone other than their shareholders.

The beauty of free choice. I live in dairy country - do the names Bodalla & Bega sound familiar? Real towns in my neck of the woods. I have clients and friends who are or were dairy farmers and at "war" with Coles & Woolies over unfair pricing. So I refuse to buy the $1 stuff. And actually, I don't like the cheap stuff - it doesn't taste the same as the other "real" product. Now I think I know why. So I'm happy to pay extra to drink (say) Dairy Farmers milk. The same as I'm prepared to pay extra to drink craft beers. Freedom of choice.

Milk - 116.43% Milk.

Content caveat: Not having a go at anyone per se, just having fun with the topic. No offence itended, shit stirring only.

what is permeate? It's described a the collection of milk sugars (lactose), vitamins and minerals that are left over from cheese production. If this is added back to milk, we're not only dealing with edible waste products in a responsible way (eating rather than dumping them) but we're adding back vitamins and minerals to milk that are often reduced during the pasteurisation process?
Responsible use of our resources! Surely not! Bribie says we can't consume by products and you're telling us using by products is a responsible use of our resources? Faaark I am confused!
Maybe I have it wrong, maybe he says it's not that we can't use them but we should be told what they are used for? Should we be a super-nanny state? Should we have FULL product disclosure? See average Joe discussion below.

I reckon someone should add some lacto to this "permeate" stuff, and sell it in small bottles as a health drink, you'd not even need to bleach it or make it look like milk since everyone expects health food to look and taste weird anyway.
Good good man that is scandalous. Don't buy it!!! It is a by product of cheese! How is that healthy!!!

Mother's milk for some...
So few words and yet such a poignant message. It says a lot with few words; conversely, I generally say little with many words. You probably haven't read this because the post is too long, so here is some extra random content: elephant g-string, leprechaun diarrhoea, sunburnt tadpole. Enjoy.

I agree with clear labelling, however I don't see a problem if it is what gets taken out at one stage only to be added back in.
Couldnt you label it "milk, permeate (derived from milk)."?
Clear labelling is an absolute must, ingredients as well as country of origin!J
Certainly. Why don't we label it as 'Milk - may contain milk products' or 'Milk - may contain milk concentrates' or how about 'Milk - Made from Milk'* or 'Milk - 116.43% Milk'**

* My Favourite!
** This might be my new favourite! In fact I am pretty sure it is.

The whole point is that the average joe in the street doesn't know about this.
How much does Joe need to know? The government regulators (Read here if you want to know more LINK) do a fine job of ensuring our food safety, let's leave them to it.

- Would Joe like to know that an anit caking agent used in his table salt is Sodium Ferrocyanide ( :eek: ) but it is not called that, it is just called additive 535? That's cyanide in my salt isn't it? Scandalous!

- Would Joe eat bread if he knew that flour anti caking agents E910, E920, E921 can be made from chicken and duck feathers (or some claim from the hair of third world country women).

- Would Joe like to know that E925 (Chlorine) or E926 (Cholrine dioxide) are used as bleaching agents and improvers in cakes and breads?

- Would Joe eat cheese if he knew that the major source of natural rennet used in cheese making is extracted from the inner mucosa of the fourth stomach chamber of slaughtered young, unweaned calves? The stomachs are a by product of veal production. We can't eat by products!

Would Joe like to know what veal is? Think about baby cows when you're eating Veal Scallopini? Oh hang on I digress to animal ethics instead of food ethics, ah heck I'll touch on that can of worms too.

Summary #1: Breakfast is bothered.
Don't drink milk because it is a by product of cheese making, but don't eat cheese because it is a by product of veal production, don't eat veal because they were cutesy wootsey baby cows but stay away from Mum too, she might be mad because she ate dead chickens. Don't eat eggs because that is an unborn baby chicken and their mothers were probably abused and made to eat other dead chickens. Don't eat the bacon that you would have had with your eggs because the pigs are abused too and sometimes they are given whey which might have come from mad cows. Don't eat the toast you were going to have with your bacon and eggs because there could be abused chicken feathers in the flour in the bread. Don't use the salt that would have gone on your eggs because that has cyanide in it.

Summary #2: Smoko is bothered too:
Tea with milk and scones? Iced coffee?

Summary #3: Lunch is bothered too:
Milkshake, burger, salad roll or sandwhich?

Summary #4: Getting bored now?... Media sensationalism is bothered

Local Adelaideans should keep their eyes open for Tweedvale Milk, from the Adelaide hills.
Any idea how green (as in organic) they are? Have been buying either
their milk or the Fleurieu one (only seem to be available from Foodland
IGAs) depending on what's available - or the Paris Creek milk.

Unhomogenised, permeate free.

It costs a lot more than $1/L but it is worth it. Let the full cream milk sit in the fridge overnight and there is a big lump of cream on the top. Makes the creamiest lattes!

I agree. Can't buy it from Coles or Woolies though. Another reason to stay away from the big bad two.

I love irony.

Like ethanol guzzling pissheads getting precious about a standardising product added to their moo juice.

Why the surprise when industrialised farming to feed our desire for dirt cheap product involves industrial processes? Shit, have a look through any large catering supply company's inventory and there's all sorts of outlandish stuff. I really like Pork! Now with 95% real pork! because you can't cook it properly. If you want it fresh from the teat/paddock/tree you gots to pay. Unless you want to pay those providing those goods to receive the same as overseas labourers who provide the rest of our shit.

I wouldn't really call it a by product. Cheese manufacturers often choose to run a uf plant to pull out permeate(a mix of lactose minerals etc) to allow a greater throughput of cheese. It increases the amount of milk solids they can get into the cheese making process. They dont have to produce the permeate. For example on a low production day when not running at capacity there is no need to, and the 'permeate' goes through the process and eventually ends up in the product.
Permeate can be dumped(this is what used to happen) until a use for it was found. It is useful to standardise milk to maintain a consistant product and deal with seasonal fluctuations in milk off the cow.
Funny people are up in arms that it is added to drinking milk. Its not the only dairy product it is added to for standardisation purposes.
Note that at this point what we are calling milk(without permeate) has already been processed(fat standardised, homogenised pasteurised etc) is that then not milk since it has pad portions removed or added to standardise?.
I agree it would be good if it was labeled however it is still 100% milk. If youre worried there are manufacturers of milk that is not blended. Or buy a cow, fresh creamy milk all be it a bit warm. Un homogenised which allows the cream to rise to the top... yummmm....

my brother wont eat sausages,he claims they are made from bulls balls and cows #$^*s :lol: ...cheers......spog.....quote name='Bribie G' date='Jun 25 2012, 05:27 PM' post='928013']
The whole point is that the average joe in the street doesn't know about this. For example if I bought "Fresh Beef Mince" from Woolies and had it analysed and found that it actually contained 20% ground up unsold smallgoods from the deli bar that they would otherwise have to toss out, I'm sure the local fair trading would have a thing or two to say.

Now mince with ground up smallgoods might be quite palatable and even desirable in some recipes - could make a cracking spag bog sauce - but they should declare it onthe label, and to do it secretly is unethical IMHO.
[/quote]

For more than 9 years, I still don't get it why it is not law here to list the proper names of ingredients on packaging. Processers are allowed to paraphrase country of origin information, hide chemicals used to process behind generic names...

I remember when the most popular brand of sunflower oil sold in India was caught to have been adulterating it by adding stuff to it, the company collapsed. Their entire product, which was their thing in the market, disappeared completely. That is the power of transparency, the government and 'agencies' don't always know best. No organisation is immune from political and commercial pressure.

Read an article up here 2 days ago that dairy farmers (the cooperative) will stop adding permeate to their milk. I'm pretty sure that mungali creek (bio dynamic) dairy doesn't either. More expensive to buy but their plain yoghurt is so tasty you wouldn't want to go back, crust of yellow buttery creamy goodness on top of each pot of yoghurt. mmmmmm

We don't really have the TV on much in our house.

I was at my grandparents' place today and their telly is always on. I happened to look at it while there was a milk ad on. "PERMEATE FREE!!!" it screamed.

I am not at all surprised this thread exists.

That pun was udderly awful.

You're really starting to get on my teats.

Am I on my Pat Malone?

Back