Mid year NSW case swap - tasting notes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i tried the PF. its a sour, big on the blackcurrant aroma and taste. but i cant remember who it came from

Cortez The Killer said:
15) n87 - Vienna Schwartzbeir - 4.50%

Pours a dark dark brown with a white head. Nose of sweet malt, slight hints of chocolate and roast, rich sweet stone fruits in support and a slight nutty character.

Flavour follows same. With accentuated stone fruit, plum, mixed with biscuit and nutty notes. Subtle roast and chocolate. Medium body which finishes on the dry side making is very moreish. Good clean ferment.

Overall a very tasty beer. Exceptionally sessionable and delicious. Top work.

Cheers

barls said:
agree with this as i had it last night. really enjoyed it glad I've got a couple more to go.

on a side note I've got two bottle i have no idea on one is make with a 45 the other a pf. anyone want to claim them

Thanks Guys.

Im really glad it held up its end. i was worrying a bit there that it wasnt a fair swap against some of the beauties ive tasted of all yours.

n87 said:
i tried the PF. its a sour, big on the blackcurrant aroma and taste. but i cant remember who it came from
hmmm this in the fridge .... next beer I thinks!

MastersBrewery said:
hmmm this in the fridge .... next beer I thinks!
more than likely it will be.
also just cracked a second bottle of your lager masters. all head retention problems are gone. thick white head thats still there from the first pour despite it being the second glass.
seems it just needed more time.

barls said:
more than likely it will be.
also just cracked a second bottle of your lager masters. all head retention problems are gone. thick white head thats still there from the first pour despite it being the second glass.
seems it just needed more time.
yeah I had a bottle mid week and found the same, I may just have one left hidden away somewhere, I hope any way.

17) Digety - Tawny Port soaked Oak RIS - 9.20%

Pours black with a large moussey tan head. Nose is delightful. Rich christmas cake, stone fruit, vanilla, brandy, alcohol, hints of roast, espresso. There is a lot happening.

Flavour is intense. Follows the above. Good whack of roast and a lingering bitterness. Tawny port is present and mixes well with other flavours. Nice alcohol warmth and interesting spice notes. Picking up some anise too. As it warms more coffee and tiramisu flavours present. Finishes on the dry side for such a big beer, medium body.

This is an exceptional beer. 10/10. Luckily there’s another bottle here - cant wait to see how this ages.

Scott can you post up the recipe when you get back from OS - I need to knock one of these out. Makes for an excellent night cap.

Cheers

Thanks Gino, that's high praise coming from you. I get back in a couple of weeks, will post the recipe then. Also looking forward to trying a few other beers from this swap

Is this #2??? Its the only one I haven't been able to check off the list, and the label is rubbed off.

Cheers marksy

1439178094874.jpg

Fellas

My beer had about 5% heavily peated in there. It wasn't a dominant flavour initially but seems to have come into its own recently.

So I'm updating mine to a

16 Cortez - Oaked & Peated RIS 8.30%

Cheers

marksy said:
Is this #2??? Its the only one I haven't been able to check off the list, and the label is rubbed off.

Cheers marksy
You lucky bugger!!! That be my Aussie Belgian(side swap) me thinks, the three strpes gave it away. Enjoy the last bottle in existence... till I make it again.

MB

MastersBrewery said:
You lucky bugger!!! That be my Aussie Belgian(side swap) me thinks, the three strpes gave it away. Enjoy the last bottle in existence... till I make it again.

MB

Sweet!!! Im about to crack it open!

Has anyone got a pic of what #2 looks like? I can't find mine :'(

marksy said:
Sweet!!! Im about to crack it open!

Has anyone got a pic of what #2 looks like? I can't find mine :'(
#2 was a no show.

no #2's for anyone :angry2:

Really? That sucks, but least I won't go mad looking for it ha-ha. Cheers mate.

18) Contrarian - Galaxy Cascade APA

Pours a bright gold with a large billowing head. Nose full of pine, fruit, lycee, grainy notes and spiciness.

Assertive bitterness. Pine. High carb makes it very dry. Galaxy is very pronounced. Strong citrus, especially orange peel. Hints of malt in support. Good clean ferment.

Overall a hop forward assertive beer. Very refreshing and dry. I'm not a huge galaxy fan - but did enjoy it in this beer.

Cheers

#19 just had with friends after a few very bloody nice I could drink a ton of it. Well balanced !!

Had a few of these over the weekend.

John west IPA was a very enjoyable beer. Well balanced with good flavour and aroma very enjoyable.

7 ESB, well balanced but very little hop flavour or aroma, I think I should have drink this sooner.

14 white stout. A really interesting beer. Very enjoyable.

19. Dark lager. Reminded me of old but with more malty goodness. Dry finish would make a great session beer.

Am really enjoying working my way through these. Great quality across the board and excellent variety.

19) Fatgodzilla - Dark Bitter

Pours a deep brown with a small off white head. Big malt on the nose, sweet crystal notes, stone fruit esters dominate. Some earthy hops also peak through as well as some light chocolate.

Sweet malt upfront with a lingering assertive bitterness. Medium sweet body, medium finish. Dark crystal sweetness notes begin dominate as bitterness fades on my palate. Special B? Raisins and dried figs. Hints of belgian type phenolics - pear etc.

This is a delightfully complex beer with a lot going on, far more that the descriptor suggests. Nice work Ian.

Cheers

Here's the recipe for: 17) Digety - Tawny Port soaked Oak RIS - 9.20%

35L batch, OG = 1.086 FG = 1.017 ABV = 9.2% IBU = 78

8.1kg Pale Malt - 53.6%
4kg Wheat Malt - 26.5%
1kg Crystal - 6.6%
0.5kg Carafa II - 3.3%
0.5kg Choc Malt- 3.3%
0.5kg Roasted Barley- 3.3%
0.25 kg Melanoiden Malt - 1.7%
0.25kg Special B - 1.7%

100g Magnum (12.5%) @ 60min - 62 IBU's
50g EKG (6.4%) @ 20min
100g EKG (6.4%) Whirlpool

Pitched White Labs Super High Gravity Yeast WLP099

After fermentation, added 3 oak dominoes that had been soaked in Tawny port for 1 week into secondary. I left them in until the flavour seemed ok (approx 4 weeks I think), then bottled.

Latest posts

Back