Microsoft Killed My Beersmith

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOG

Reaction score
Last night the computer automatically updated Microsoft Vista.

Today when I fire up BeerSmith all the ingredients are gone from the reciepe file.
I can still see it when I display it in the Brewing Steps run sheet but cannot see any components or make any adjustments from the normal view page.

I've tried a new reciepe and it the same fault. The ingredients box is empty.

Anyone else getting problems?

BOG

Another update just loaded for the browser. Will wait a few mins for it to load and see what happens.

It's back...woow... that had me worried... I had a lot of work in there...

Bloody useless OS ...Vista is shit

First, make a backup copy of your current Beersmith folder in Program Files before you start messing around.

If you wanted to check whether it is really a Windoze problem or just corrupted Beersmith files, then uninstall Beersmith and manually delete anything left in the Program Files\Beersmith folder (remember you've got a backup... right?). Re-install and see if the problem is still there. If it is, then the update has broken something and you'll need to track down which one it was and remove it.

If Beersmith now works perfectly, then it was a problem with corrupted data files. Restore your backed-up Beersmith folder (just copy over the top of the new install) - Beersmith should be broken again.
Looking in my Beersmith folder, I have a bunch of Grain_x.bak files, I assume backups created each time I add or modify the ingredients list. If you have these, then rename the Grain.bsm file to Grain.old.bsm, and rename Grain_1.bak (or the newest one - check date stamps of the files) to Grain.bsm. Fire up the program and see how it goes. You may need to do a similar process for Hops_1.bak etc as well.

If that still doesn't work, then you could try doing the full uninstall and clear out of the Beersmith folder, then re-install. Then try importing your Recipe.bsm back in from your backed-up Beersmith folder.

Good luck. :)

Edit: I'm too slow... glad you got it going again though.
Ubuntu+Wine+Beersmith... sometimes problems printing, but otherwise works well.

Ubuntu+Wine+Beersmith... sometimes problems printing, but otherwise works well.

Now then, Wine for Android... (now that the problem is sorted and we can commence with the jocularity - timely message for everyone though!)

Latest posts

Back