Mexican Cerveza!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexpanda

Reaction score
Hey guys really enjoyed the last Mexican we put down, going too put another two down!! Just wondering if anyone has added hops and which hops you added?? Also what's the best yeast too use?

Hey mate, would definitely recommend checking out the coopers Mexican cerveza thread as there's a bunch of ways to pimp out the kit. It terms of hops though, it depends on what your going for as some people just go for a noble hop saaz or go towards a fruity/citrus side with glacier. But it depend on how'd you like your beer.

In terms of yeast, if you can get a lager yeast and ferment around 12ish then cold crash it for a few weeks it'll turn out great. Otherwise from what I've read Nottingham and even us-05 do a pretty decant fake lager at low temps. There's also a great range of liquid yeast that do a great job, but since I haven't had much experience with them I can't really comment

Okay thanks, I did abit of reading and found people using cascade hops. I would like a fruity taste but not too strong also, I have a fridge setup for fermentation, but I don't have any room too keep the bottles cold after bottling.

I've had a shot at the Coopers Cerveza also. I'm trying dried lemon myrtle leaves for a hint of lemon in it too.

Yeah the bottles should be fine aslong as they're in a dark cool spot. Personally, I store mine in the ambient temp but am currently storing one bottle in the fridge to test the difference.

If you ferment with a lager at 12 or something like notto or us-05 at 15 it should come out pretty clean and then after two weeks you could cold crash for in the fermentor at 3 degree it should turn out great.

I would recommend steeping carapils as they help the head and mouthfeel of the beer without adding much residual sweetness like crystal malt. For hopiness you could try 20-30g cascade at 10 or 5 minutes, or even dry hop, probably choose a rate and then see how it turns our and adjust for next time. I haven't personally used fruity hops in this kit so can't say for sure.

So I went with a mangrove Jacks Cerveza, with s-23 yeast, fermenting at 15 degrees. Going too add Citra hops 5 days before bottling too add a fruity flavour.

There's a funny thread on another site about using sunlight and clear bottles to skunk the beer for the genuine corona taste.

Latest posts

Back