Merri Mashers Specialty IPA Comp - June 14, 2015

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carniebrew

Brewvy baby, brewvy!
Reaction score
I figured it might be simpler to start a new thread for this now everything's finally getting locked down.

IPA Comp Logo 2.jpg

As you can see from the logo, we'll have the new "Sub-Category 21B - Specialty IPA" covered for the first time in a comp in Australia. 21B includes Red, Rye, Belgian, Brown, Black & White IPA's. The BJCP are telling us their new draft guidelines should "go live" this month, if that happens in time we'll register the comp with the BJCP too.

The comp will be judged at the Terminus Hotel in Fitzroy North on Sunday June 14. The cost will be $8 for your first, $6 for any subsequent entries.

Entries must be dropped off and paid for by Saturday, June 6. We'll be using a variety of drop off points around Melbourne (and a mail in point for those needing to post). If for some reason you want to register your entry but not drop your beer in until right before the comp, we'll be accepting entries at the Terminus Hotel only right up to midday Saturday, June 13...as long as you've registered and paid by June 6.

The reason for the 1 week cut off is because being our first comp we're really not sure how many entries we'll get, so at least we'll have a week to sort stuff out if we get a hell of a lot more entries than we're reckoning on. We're allowing beers to be dropped to the Termo post-registration because there are brewers out there who seem really keen to get their IPAs in as fresh as possible (keggers without counter pressure filling mechanisms perhaps?).

Keep an eye on ipacomp.com for all the details, drop off point updates, etc etc.

Any BJCP-certified judges out there willing to help out we'd love to hear from you, please get in touch with me directly.

We've filled all our major and style sponsorship categories, I was surprised and delighted with how quickly and generously our sponsors jumped on board. You have to love the home brew and craft brewing community! Sponsors and prizes will be up on our website soon. We are still looking for raffle prizes if anyone out there is looking for some exposure for their products/services, again please get in touch.

not BJCP but happy to judge.. done a few now..PM not working for some reason

Sponsors have pretty much been locked in - some great prizes are going to be on offer!

Are you following the BCJP guidelines (or at least the way I read them) and wanting entries to state strength (session, standard or double) as well as type?

I'm assuming that you wont be subdividing each type by strength, but maybe it'll help the judges to build up to the behemoths that will presumably be submitted?

From the draft guidelines:

"Entry Instructions: Entrant must specify a strength (session, standard, double); if no strength is specified, standard will be assumed. Entrant must specify specific type of Specialty IPA from the library of known types listed in the Style Guidelines, or as amended by the BJCP web site; or the entrant must describe the type of Specialty IPA and its key characteristics in comment form so judges will know what to expect. Entrants may specify specific hop varieties used, if entrants feel that judges may not recognize the varietal characteristics of newer hops. Entrants may specify a combination of defined IPA types (e.g., Black Rye IPA) without providing additional descriptions. Entrants may use this category for a different strength version of an IPA defined by its own BJCP subcategory (e.g., session-strength American or English IPA) – except where an existing BJCP subcategory already exists for that style (e.g., double [American] IPA).

Currently Defined Types: Black IPA, Brown IPA, White IPA, Rye IPA, Belgian IPA, Red IPA

Vital Statistics: Variable by type

Strength classifications:
Session – ABV: 3.0 – 5.0%
Standard – ABV: 5.0 – 7.5%
Double – ABV: 7.5 – 9.5%"

Comp's usually run their categories in increasing strength & colour, so it makes sense that they be identified by their Strength Classification when submitting the entry. So, an entry in the "Black" category & identified as a "Session" will be served before a Black identified as a Standard etc..etc..

In answer to your question, YES they will be subdivided by strength in each Category.

Just to clarify, there will only be one winner for each of the six categories....so as Martin says we'll line the beers up in each style category by strength, to help the judges...but each and every Red IPA for example will be judged against one another, regardless of strength.

Might be an idea for a future edition of this comp for us to split categories by strength (mind you I personally refuse to entertain any concept of a "Session IPA", just call it a hoppy bloody Pale Ale fer chrissakes)...it would depend on number of entries I guess.

No, no judging for me. I am the comp organiser, but I'm not the chief judge, that's Kris D.

Call For Judges

We are seeking judges from outside the club with a mid to high level of experience (eg, BJCP qualified or experience at state/national level) to assist the club with the competition. Novice judges will still be considered, but preference in scheduling will be given to club members to build our experience.

The competition has been registered as a Beer Judge Certification Program sanctioned event (http://bjcp.org), offering judging points for those who have taken or plan to take the BJCP exam. At this stage, beers will be judged against the Draft 21B Specialty IPA guidelines.

As a reminder, the competition will be held on Sunday 14th June at the Terminus Hotel, North Fitzroy. Judging will start late in the morning and should be completed by the afternoon.

Please let me know ASAP by Friday 5th June if you are able to assist in the competition, along with the following information:
Name:
BJCP ID OR experience level:
Email:
Mobile:
Club (if applicable):
Categories entered (if known):
Preferred categories to judge (if any):

Cheers,
Kris Domagala
Judge Director, Merri Mashers Specialty IPA Competition 2015
http://ipacomp.com/

Edit: Fix cut-off date

like i said.. hand is up if you want it... you just gotta put me into a category i haven't entered probably.. not that i will be able to tell my beer form the dozens of others entered..

MartinOC said:
Oops! Not a good call for a potential judge....
With potentially 20-30 beers per category (Pale ales at Beerfest was my last flight I think like 30 beers).. I challenge you to pick out your own beer !! lol

Grainer said:
With potentially 20-30 beers per category (Pale ales at Beerfest was my last flight I think like 30 beers).. I challenge you to pick out your own beer !! lol
It's pretty damn easy

Mines the 100 IBU double ipa entered as an American wheat

Regardless of whether you can actually pick your own beer or not, it is not kosher to judge in a category you entered as you open up the comp organisers, etc to accusations of favouritism should you place.
When I've judged in small comps that have absolutely no choice but to allocate judges to cats they have entries in, the relevant judge steps out when their entry is being judged. Beerfest might have 30-40 entries in a cat, some others might have 5. Specialty beers might be so specific as to be unique, even in a 30+ cat.
It's best avoided altogether unless seriously impossible. Where impossible, judge needs to be excused for that entry.

But yes - a good judge should have a reasonable idea as to which beer is theirs in most circumstances.

Ok, we are open for entries, get those Specialty IPA's in! All the details at ipacomp.com, and entries can now be made on compmaster. We'll get a manual entry form up and running soon.

had a disaster with one of my IPAs but lets see how it goes :)

Gents,
I had look at the entry via comp master and I can't see a minimum entry volume. Is it only 750ml or 2 x 375mm or minus 500mm. Thanks

Latest posts

Back