Merri Mashers Specialty IPA Comp - June 14, 2015

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dippet said:
Hey guys. We have a spot in our cellar set for your beers at Termi. Unrefrigerated but safe and out of the way.
Sounds great now I can sleep sound .

MartinOC said:
Hey Dippet, what temperature is it down there? If it's what I think it is right now, there maybe no need to refrigerate/take-up any coolroom space at all.
Year round 15/16 Celsius. We had a cool room that we can put everything into the day of the comp. Justin, what time is the AGM kicking off so we know when to chill down the entries?

Dippet said:
Year round 15/16 Celsius. We had a cool room that we can put everything into the day of the comp. Justin, what time is the AGM kicking off so we know when to chill down the entries?
I assume by AGM you mean the comp? Don't worry about the chilling, martinoc will look after that for us.

Last chance to register 20 minutes to go until registration closes, you can still drop entries straight to the terminus up until next Saturday 1pm though it MUST be registered by 12 pm today...

brendo said:
How are you guys going for judges - all sorted or still short?
We cracked over 100 entries...which was definitely NOT something we expected! I'm pretty sure we agreed early on that 30 would be ok, 50 would be great...

Let us sort through the style breakdowns and we'll see where we land. Looks like over 20 each of Red and Brown though, so they'll be tough categories to judge in single flights.

Still waiting on a couple of unpaid entries. Will be close to 20, it was the 3rd most popular category.

Be seeing you Sunday morning I expect..

Id better behave myself this weekend if Im st stay in the good books until Sunday morning..

The Merri Mashers "Apartheid" IPA competition...

I have entered a beer in this competition but not sure if it within style guidelines.

I've noted in some of the commercial black IPAs I've had that the hop flavour seems to be a bit less pronounced than "pale" IPAs. The style guidelines seem to indicate that the hop flavour and aroma can be less pronounced than a "Pale" American IPA. Is this correct?

Extracts from the relevant sections of the style guidelines are below.

Black IPA
moderate to high hop aroma
Medium-low to high hop flavour

American IPA
prominent to intense hop aroma
Hop flavor is medium to very high

The Black IPA style guidelines also refer to American IPAs. Is there such a thing as a Black English IPA?

It's too late for this competition as the beer is already brewed but I'm curious to know whether I should be holding back on the copious amount of hops I normally throw at an IPA to stay within guidelines...

big78sam said:
The Black IPA style guidelines also refer to American IPAs. Is there such a thing as a Black English IPA?
No, not yet. The descriptors call for American/New-World hops.

Hold your breath though, the English are Re visiting their hop growing history and varieties, some that were discontinued years ago because of their 'too fruity' character are in trials again due the the global shift toward new world tastes, it promises to be an interesting few years ahead with releases coming from all over the place.

The new ones Brendo used for his GABS beer (Jester and Archer, I think) sounded pretty good, from what he was saying.

Danwood said:
The new ones Brendo used for his GABS beer (Jester and Archer, I think) sounded pretty good, from what he was saying.
Can't remember which one it was, Jester or Archer, but it was one of them... had two beers brewed with this particular hop at GABS and they were my least favourite of the beers we tried that day.

Tasted like eucalyptus oil was in the beer.

The unthinkable has happened and I am now stuck in central Queensland for the next week instead of attending the comp. Completely gutted!

Hope you all have a great day and I hope the next comp won't be too far off. I'm yet to find a decent beer in Rockhampton so I doubt I'll even be able to drown my sorrows!

The Merri Mashers Speciality IPA Competition is on today and kicks off at 1pm!
Get down to the Terminus Hotel for some great beer and great food!

The Merri Mashers will have a raffle going with some great prizes!

Can't be there in person? We're trying to bring the comp to the intawebs- follow us on Twitter and Instagram - ‪#‎ipacomp‬ is where it is!

We will have the live feed of all the action on a big screen!!

Check out the feed link below for all the latest photos, action and of course results!!
https://tagboard.com/ipacomp/228416

I wonder how many people will end up at the Terminus Hotel in Richmond instead of the Terminus Hotel in Fitzroy North?

Back