Merri Mashers Specialty IPA Comp - June 14, 2015

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NealK said:
I wonder how many people will end up at the Terminus Hotel in Richmond instead of the Terminus Hotel in Fitzroy North?
If they're craft beer fans they should know that nowadays there's only one Terminus, as far as good beer is concerned [emoji6]

Full results up on compmaster under "past competitions" tab.

Woo! 2nd in Whites. Quite happy with that.

Thanks to all involved, the updates on the twitter thing were great.

What a HUGE day that was! Thanks to about a million people for making it happen, I'm still gobsmacked by how many people are willing to give up their time for stuff like this.

Congrats to all the winners...now to get those prizes doled out....

Thanks Carbiebrew and all involved.

1st place for my Black IPA has made my day!

Pratty, that was a TOUGH style to get right today, and as you can see from the scores, your entry absolutely shone through more than any other. 123 points would surely score you "beer of show" in many comps. Congrats mate. Care to share your secrets?? :)

carniebrew said:
Pratty, that was a TOUGH style to get right today, and as you can see from the scores, your entry absolutely shone through more than any other. 123 points would surely score you "beer of show" in many comps. Congrats mate. Care to share your secrets??
Thanks mate, it would have been fresh, I bottled it only 20days ago.

Here are a few things that I have tried that work well;

- black malts are chocolate wheat 8% (instead of chocolate malt) and roasted barley 2% added for mashout only which goes for and extended 30mins. The black malts get milled separately and run through a few times into powder to extract more colour.
- using a few different malts like melanoiden and flaked oats @ 3% of each, found these gave a creamier smoother mouthfeel
- clean bittering of magnum then tropical citrus hops late, whirlpool and dry hopped to offset the black (Citra and Mosaic)
- mashed at 65c and use some sugars 5% to dry it out
- English ale 002 as I like the final beer with this strain over 001 Chico strain.

Huge Day!! really enjoyed it. Big shout out to MatinOC and Yob for helping out with stewarding. We learnt a lot of stuff to help us with our future comps. we'll always remember the 7 Ps MartinOC. It was great we had some experienced hands to help us out and it shows how willing the homebrew community is willing to help out each other. It's great to have people from outside the club that are so happy to help out. Big thank you to AndyD with the Compmaster set up as well. Thanks to all the judges. A day like today doesn't work without heaps of help from a lot of people so good work to all involved.

Congrats to all the winners!!

G'day all,

Congratulations to the guys and gals from Merri Mashers for putting on a very slick and enjoyable event!

I've just finished uploading all the scoresheets, so you should be able to log into your accounts and get your feedback.

If anyone has trouble, give me a yell...

cheers!

Andy

Oh awesome! That AndyD and all involved, can't say I've ever got feedback back this quickly.

And a huge thanks to all the judges, the comments are incredibly thorough and will be quite a help. Dunno how you guys managed to stay sober enough to write coherantly. Love some of the comments too, my favorite being 'not especially elegant', sums up most of my beers well!!

sober enough :)

I've had some damn near indecipherable scoresheets in the past, these were brilliant! If all comps were this well run, there'd be a very different comp scene. You Vics rock!

my 3rd placing Beatdown Brown IPA was powered by Yob's hops and Full Pint's malts and yeast - with a team like that, impossible is nothing:

Last edited by a moderator:
I should also say, a fantastic show by the MM crew, full points to the terminus for making the space available.. I have certainly had harder work at other comps..

I look forward to future events being run by such a passionate crew.

If I wore one, I'd take me fekkin hat off :super:

Awesome day. Massive thanks to all from within and outside of the club who made it possible. Congratulations to all the winners, and hats off to all who entered.

What an eye opening experience judging was!

Andyd said:
G'day all,

Congratulations to the guys and gals from Merri Mashers for putting on a very slick and enjoyable event!

I've just finished uploading all the scoresheets, so you should be able to log into your accounts and get your feedback.

If anyone has trouble, give me a yell...

cheers!

Andy
Hi Andy, I can see the Full Results for the comp - but cannot find scoresheets for my beer.

My Results
You do have not scoresheets on CompMaster at this time.

What are the chances of the winning 135.5 point Red IPA recipe to be shared?

Would interested to know the malts for colour and hop schedule.

^^^ YES to that!

pretty happy with my first attempt... 13th!

It's awesome reading the feedback and seeing that the judges agree with what you already knew of the beer... Also hearing other comments you hadn't detected, and trying to forensically diagnose the cause is pretty cool. what a great experience!

:)

Latest posts

Back