Matho's controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matho
1 = infinity
2 = 5.81k
3 = 0
+12v to +5 = infinity

voltages
5v + and - = 0V
buzzer = 6.5v
heater = 6.5v

Arduino board was taken off before all readings were taken

Ok pete thats exactly what I'm getting, the only thing I can think of now is that there is something wrong with the transistors, I have measured my board and there is no voltage across any of the two outputs when the outputs are off. Are the transistors are definitely 2n2222a? Later tonight I'll measure the voltage across the emitter, base and collector of the transistors for you. We will get to the bottom of this I'm sure.

cheers steve

The transistors are marked
2n
a338

OK I have just tested my unit with jaycar bought 2n2222a338 and it displays the same problem, I reversed the transistor for the buzzer and it fixed the problem.
Pete I would chop the head off the transistor and pull one leg out at a time as it was very hard to pull the transistor out whole with out damaging the board.

The last 6 kits that got sent out had these transistors in them so if you could check and see if you have transistors labelled 2n2222a338 please install thenm backwards. I'll be sending PM's out to those I think got those transistors tonight.

the first lot of 40 kits had transistors got from a different supplier and they are to be installed the right way they are labelled p2n2222a AO8
sorry

steve

Thanks so much for your help Steve!
I'll change all of them and let you know how I go

I am currently taking pre-orders for another batch of bonjuinos. Parts have been ordered and will arrive in about 2 weeks.

PM me if you're interested and I will send you a link to the payment page.

Thanks so much for your help Steve!
I'll change all of them and let you know how I go

no thank you Pete, I have now found a potential problem, hopefully those 6 or so people haven't put the kits together. What really irks me is both suppliers have the same datasheet for those type of transistors so I thought it would be OK. I didn't want to put an order in for 10 kits and have 4 sitting around so I just got those last lot from jaycar.

IF YOUR KIT CAME WITH BLACK PIN HEADERS INSTEAD OF GREEN THEN YOU WILL HAVE THE JAYCAR SOURCED TRANSISTORS

cheers steve

Green = good, black = bad?

yeah mark you are right its only the last few kits I made up, because there wasn't a lot of 10 I didn't order from the supplier that I did for the first 40 kits

cheers steve

Ok if your buying parts from Jaycar I would go with the BC547 as it has the right pin out for the board and they only sell one type. I originally designed the board for BC547's but I went with 2N2222a as they have a higher current rating (500mA compared to 100mA) but the BC547 will easily handle the 34mA that the relay will draw.

cheers steve

Thank you for identifying this issue, I am about to solder together a Bonj and Matho controller for someone here on the forum and this would have driven me (and him) nuts!

I am currently taking pre-orders for another batch of bonjuinos. Parts have been ordered and will arrive in about 2 weeks.

PM me if you're interested and I will send you a link to the payment page.

Hi Bonj,

I am interested, can you please send me the link.

Cheers
Rob

tynian, PM sent.

That's it folks. All kits from this batch are accounted for.

Hello Matho,
I have assembled your board and married it to Bonj's board.
All good, I am waiting for my mate to finish the SS build for the pot, malt pipe etc.
I tested the board today, the heater works ok, but the pump will not start...... I can hear the relay click when I manually start the pump, but no pump action. testing the pump outlet connector on your board, I get no current at all. turning the board over, I am not sure which points to test for to see if the relay is outputting the 12 v to the pump............
do you ave any suggestions on where I go from here? Is it possible that in my neanderthal attempts at soldering I have wrecked the board?? Hope not?

Cheers swampy

Hello Matho,
I have assembled your board and married it to Bonj's board.
All good, I am waiting for my mate to finish the SS build for the opt, malt pipe etc.
I tested the board today, the heater works ok, but the pump will not start...... I can hear the relay click when I manually start the pump, but no pump action. testing the pump outlet connector on your board, I get no current at all. turning the board over, I am not sure which points to test for to see if the relay is outputting the 12 v to the pump............
do you ave any suggestions on where I go from here? Is it possible that in my neanderthal attempts at soldering I have wrecked the board?? Hope not?

Cheers swampy

hey swampy, the relay doesn't put out any voltage, all it does is switch on or off. On two way terminal marked pump one terminal goes to one side of the switch and the other one goes to the other side of the switch. So the make the pump work put 12v+ in to one of those terminals and put the pump + lead into the other, the - lead of the pump is connected to - . The reason I didn't make it put out 12v is because some people will want to control 240v pumps too, so its just a switch.

cheers steve

hey swampy, the relay doesn't put out any voltage, all it does is switch on or off. On two way terminal marked pump one terminal goes to one side of the switch and the other one goes to the other side of the switch. So the make the pump work put 12v+ in to one of those terminals and put the pump + lead into the other, the - lead of the pump is connected to - . The reason I didn't make it put out 12v is because some people will want to control 240v pumps too, so its just a switch.

cheers steve

Thanks mate, All fixed and no problems.
Cheers

I know I'm late to the party but this is just a quick post to see if anyone has had an enthusiasm breakdown and has a spare kit that they are not going to make use of and would like to offload.

or

Matho are there any bare PCB's available?

Just wanted to say your kit went together nicely, i skipped cutting that stand off because i had some 6.3mm spares lying around.
I might also add that in Arduino 1.0.1 your custom character is stuffed so i changed the character number and it worked a great.

I was putting it together for breakbeer before you ask...

sorry ausdb they are all gone

Hey Edak, good to hear it went well, I have just updated to 1.0.1 to see if my code caused errors, it compiled well. just a quick question were you using a .pde version or the .ino version

cheers steve

Latest posts

Back