Matho's controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bonj +1 on firm order. PM me if you want a deposit or cash up front... cheers
You're on the list!

Only 2 more until I can place a parts order.

Okay guys, I need you all to be clear what you intend on ordering. I was under the impression we are talking about bonjuinos, but I just had a realisation that we are in the matho's controller thread, so I want you all the confirm for me which you are talking about.

As I said earlier in the thread, when matho runs out of brauduinos, I will not be putting together a full brauduino kit, just a PCB.

Okay guys, I need you all to be clear what you intend on ordering. I was under the impression we are talking about bonjuinos, but I just had a realisation that we are in the matho's controller thread, so I want you all the confirm for me which you are talking about.

As I said earlier in the thread, when matho runs out of brauduinos, I will not be putting together a full brauduino kit, just a PCB.

Hi Bonj,
I was talking about the bonjuino's, although I have sent Matho a PM to see if he has any PCB's. If he says he's run out ill let you know.

Hi Bonj,
I was talking about the bonjuino's, although I have sent Matho a PM to see if he has any PCB's. If he says he's run out ill let you know.
Ahh brilliant. I though that was the case, but it doesn't hurt to clarify.

well it looks like the last 2 pbc+relay+connectors are spoken for

thanks to all that have participated

cheers steve

Hey Guys,

I have been reading the Braumiser thread along with bits of this one.

I am very keen to get started on a Braumiser type of build and would love to get my hands on this controller.

I have downloaded Matho's docs and I am sure I could put one of these together easily enough.

My question is this: Are there any of these prebuilt board still available?

If not, what options do I have?

This is all very exciting - I have not done a project like this since the kids were born :)

Cheers
Rob

Hey Guys,

I am very keen to get started on a Braumiser type of build and would love to get my hands on this controller.

I have downloaded Matho's docs and I am sure I could put one of these together easily enough.

This is all very exciting - I have not done a project like this since the kids were born :)

Cheers
Rob

Hi Rob,

I can't speak for Matho in regards to the availability of the boards (although i think a little earlier in the thread Matho indicates that the last of the PCB's are gone), i have used an arduino prototyping shield for my inputs and outputs for the arduino, using Matho's schematic and the same components.

Arduinos and shields can be purchased fairly cheaply on Ebay, or Bonj sells his Bonjuino, which is compatible with arduino shields i believe.

Cheers
Dan

Hi Rob,

I can't speak for Matho in regards to the availability of the boards (although i think a little earlier in the thread Matho indicates that the last of the PCB's are gone), i have used an arduino prototyping shield for my inputs and outputs for the arduino, using Matho's schematic and the same components.

Arduinos and shields can be purchased fairly cheaply on Ebay, or Bonj sells his Bonjuino, which is compatible with arduino shields i believe.

Cheers
Dan
Yes, Matho is all out of PCB's... but fret not because we can print more.
The files are available for anyone to use, and it's not too hard to have 10 more made for about $35 delivered. I had a thought that it might be a good idea for someone who wants one to order a batch of 10 and offer the remaining on here like a bulk buy or something. I can help prepare the files for you if you want to do that.

The bonjuino is out of stock, but I only need one more firm order before I can order another batch. dmac is correct that the current revision is fully compatible with standard shields.

Hey Guys,

Cheers
Rob

sorry Rob but the have all been spoken for but as dan and bonj pointed out you don't really need the PCB it just make it easier. If you want a PCB then all the files have been made available so other people can get the PCB's made up.
Again sorry that I can't supply you a kit but I put a limit that I thought would cover the initial demand, which it has and it takes a bit of time to put together kits and at the moment I don't have much time.

Thanks to all who have bought the kits I'm hoping to see a few braumiser appearing soon.
as for the numbers per state
Qld 14
Vic 12
NSW 12
SA 6
WA 4
TAS 1
NT 1

cheers steve

sorry Rob but the have all been spoken for but as dan and bonj pointed out you don't really need the PCB it just make it easier. If you want a PCB then all the files have been made available so other people can get the PCB's made up.
Again sorry that I can't supply you a kit but I put a limit that I thought would cover the initial demand, which it has and it takes a bit of time to put together kits and at the moment I don't have much time.

Thanks to all who have bought the kits I'm hoping to see a few braumiser appearing soon.
Qld 14
Vic 12
NSW 12
SA 6
WA 4
TAS 1
NT 1

cheers steve

G'day Matho,
I received your kit quite a while ago, but have only just got round to fitting it all together as I have been working away from home.It is all going together easily so far thanks, I have the SS pots at my mates workshop getting modified , so hopefully will have it all up and running soon.I will post some pics when done.thanks again, well done on putting it all together and thanks also to Bonj for his controller

Cheers
Swampy

Qld 14
Vic 12
NSW 12
SA 6
WA 4
TAS 1
NT 1

cheers steve
Only 4 from WA? Everyone else must be using Nev's controller. I've been working on mine in dribs and drabs and have almost everything installed. I just have to install the IEC power In and that half of the box will be done, I've decided to upgrade to a 16A lead and IEC in connector they are the blue ones in Jaycar HERE and HERE they are nice looking components that should be better suited to handling the 15A I expect to put through it.

Thanks for your hard work Steve you've already provided me with hours of thought provoking entertainment and I have a few hours to go as well!

Cheers

Thanks Dmac, Matho and Bonj,

I probably need to read some more to figure out exactly what I need to do.

Roughly I think I will need a Bonjuino plus a pcb, then the parts off the list that Matho has given, does that sound right?

Cheers
Rob

getting there with my controller,

got the controller finished, pretty happy with it, wired up the premanufactured probes I ordered last night, now I have temperature readings :)

If anyone else buys the premanufactured temp probes as linked previously in this thread, they may benefit from the following;

My probes came with blue/brown/black leads instead of the yellow/red/black, but for reference the blue is data, brown is power and black is ground

Now I just need to sort out my malt pipe and pump/plumbing.

I am considering modifying a bigw 20L pot to be housed inside my 40L crown urn as a malt pipe. Reckon i need perforated base to the pot aswell as a perforated lid?
Markymoo

Matho or anyone else in the know
I've put together the controller and the LCD, menu, temperature, buttons, LEDs work perfectly but i have a constant 2V across the buzzer terminals, 5V across the element terminals (12V when heat on) and once the pump relay is engaged it doesn't disengage until i pull the plug (all in manual mode). Both the heat and pump LEDs turn on and off when they're meant to.

I've tried my best to fault find and check all of the solders to the PCB and it seems there are no shorts or dodgy welds. Could it possibly be a faulty component or incorrect component?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

hey Pete,

two things to check, one is that you only have one jumper in for the relay, either the 5v position for a 5v relay or the 12v position for a 12v relay. The second one is the transistors there are 2 different pin outs for the 2n2222a, if you got them from jaycar they sell both types depending on stock HERE just check the type of NPN transistor you have and correct the orientation of it. A guy in brazil built a brauduino and he had a very similar problem and it turned out to be the transistors were around the wrong way

If that doesn't work take a picture of both sides of the board and post them so we can see if there is anything wrong.

cheers steve

Steve and to all whos building the brauduino,
My issue was a crappy power supply, it didn't have a true dc output. I found the outputs had a similar AC and DC voltage which i found by accident last night. I plugged it into the computer this morning to the usb port and everything worked perfectly.

Thanks for your help anyway Steve, the orientation of the transistors might help someone else down the track? All who has/will put this together owes you a beer or 2!

Cheers

I received the 12v power supply today, wired it up and still the same problem.
I've had another thorough check to see if there are any shorts and can't find anything. I've uploaded full size images to SWMBOs flickr -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/krystlesevill...in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/krystlesevill...in/photostream/

This is doing my head in. Mondays are meant to be the dry night in the house.......

I probably should mention that i did try changing the orientation of the middle transistor and still the same crap.

Again any help would be appreciated

Hey Pete,

If you have a multimeter could you measure the resistance between 12+ and GND (1), 5+ and GND (2) and 5+ and 12+(3) for me, please remove the arduino before measuring.

brauduino.png

could you also remove the adruino and put the 12v on and measure the voltages again, I'm thinking there is a high resistance short to ground, maybe near terminal 5 on the relay. there is a ground plane around almost every terminal so a little bit of solder might have got through the coating and is touching ground.
I'll measure my board when I get home tonight.

cheers steve

Latest posts

Back