Matho's controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Max, sorry, but I don't understand. If I want to make 4 hops of 10, 15, 20, 25 mins - it is impossible? Maybe you should check

total time of hops <= total time of boil

and not

hop1>=hop2>=hop3

?

Eng

You have to hop from that time is the most up to what is less time
The program has assisted
prosismo hop and you've the time scale of the previous hop
Obviously, the sum of the times of hops must be equal to or greater
to that of boiling

Ita
Devi partire dal luppolo che sta piu tempo fino a quello che sta meno tempo
Il programma è assistito
e al prosismo luppolo ti scala gia il tempo del luppolo precedente
Ovviamente la somma dei tempi dei luppoli deve essere uguale o superiore
a quello di bollitura

if you do a full boil for 60 minutes, and you want to have the hops in boiling for 5, 10, 15, 50 minutes you have to set:
Boil time 60
Hop 1 50
Hop 2 15
Hop 3 10
Hop 4. 5.
counting time is backward and time indicated for the hops to go insertion order and indicates how much remains in the pot

Oh, got it. Each hop is not time period since last hop adding, but is exact time period till the end of boil.

Maybe you should write about it a little bit more clear?

JackOfShadows said:
Oh, got it. Each hop is not time period since last hop, but is exact time from the beginning.

Maybe you should write about it a little bit more clear?
you mean exact time from the end of the boil, so for instance above Hop 3 would go in at 10 minutes from finishing the boil( and perfect time to add whirfloc or brewbrite)

On the manual, page 7.

Hop(x) 0-180min This parameter sets the boil time of each hop addition and should be
repeated for all the hop additions the user has configured above.

I might add at the end of the explanation of the setting parameters for automating this note (for better translation you help me)
Code:
Example for the management of hops:

If you do a boil for 60 minutes, and you want to have 4 hops in boiling for 5, 10, 15, 50 minutes you have to set:
Num of Hops: 4
Boil time:  60 
Hop 1:      50 
Hop 2:      15 
Hop 3:      10 
Hop 4:       5 

The counting time is a countdown and time indicated for the hops indicates exactly how much remains in boil

"boil time" confused me - as it is not clear enough, and seemed to mean time value when hop is added. But maybe only for me

I'd change to "time interval/length/period". And I'd add about validation and necessity to enter values in decreasing way.

The beauty of open source projects is just that: share and improve.
So your help is appreciated in addition to being essential.

Expect more opinions and / or corrections, and then I correct the manual

This correction is ok for the parameter description?

Hop (x) 0-180min This parameter set the time that the hops will remain on the boil.
The setting it must to be done from the first hops to the last entered.
This operation must be repeated for all hops expected

and this additional example
Code:
Example for the management of hops:

If you do a boil for 60 minutes, and you want to have 4 hops in boiling for 5, 10, 15, 50 minutes you have to set:
Num of Hops: 4
Boil time:  60 
Hop 1:      50 
Hop 2:      15 
Hop 3:      10 
Hop 4:       5 

The counting time is a countdown and time indicated for the hops indicates exactly how much remains in boil

Just think of it this way:

The Boil Input is just asking how long your recipe wants you to boil your wort? You can enter anything up to 180 minutes.
The Hop Input is asking how long do you want each of the hops in your recipe to boil for? Say you choose a 60 minute boil and want your hops to boil for 50 - 15 - 10 - 5 respectively, just enter them that way at the prompt.

The controller is asking you exactly the same way as any brewing method adds hops to the brew kettle. If someone gave you a recipe and said add the hops at 50 - 15 - 10 - 5 minutes it means after your worts been boiling for 10 minutes add the 50 minute hops, after its been boiling for 45 minutes add the 15 minute hops, after its been boiling for 50 minutes add the 10 minute hops, and after its been boiling for 55 minutes add the 5 minute hops. Just because these systems have a controller you don't want to start changing this accepted mindset of how how hop schedules are timed as it will create confusion for yourself every time you try to brew someone else's recipe. Its much better just to spend time learning the universal method in the first place even though it might seem back to front.

I just want to say this stuff is awesome! I decided a while back to give brewing a go, did one extract brew then decided it was time to go all grain, then decided I should do a Brau clone. I have never made or built anything in my life. Made a Brau clone that, to my amazement, worked!

Then I thought I better automate, but I've never soldered anything in my life. I figured it was worth a go. I bought a kit from Lael (thanks!) and ordered a 20x4 LCD and put the whole thing together today. First time soldering anything and it all worked! Fired it up and then thought I'd see what all this ArdBir stuff is about so I uploaded that and that worked too! I'm sitting here staring at the screen that actually says stuff from what earlier today was a bag full of unknown parts.

Anyway I just wanted to thank everyone for the considerable amount of work that would have gone into all this, all the support you give the noobs like me, and all the inspiration to make me think I could actually do it. It wasn't even that hard!

Still have to finish off the control box (made a hash of it today and have to start over tomorrow) and I am waiting on my temp probe to arrive, but it is definitely getting there! Soldering is fun.

real_beer said:
Just think of it this way:

The Boil Input is just asking how long your recipe wants you to boil your wort? You can enter anything up to 180 minutes.
The Hop Input is asking how long do you want each of the hops in your recipe to boil for? Say you choose a 60 minute boil and want your hops to boil for 50 - 15 - 10 - 5 respectively, just enter them that way at the prompt.

The controller is asking you exactly the same way as any brewing method adds hops to the brew kettle. If someone gave you a recipe and said add the hops at 50 - 15 - 10 - 5 minutes it means after your worts been boiling for 10 minutes add the 50 minute hops, after its been boiling for 45 minutes add the 15 minute hops, after its been boiling for 50 minutes add the 10 minute hops, and after its been boiling for 55 minutes add the 5 minute hops. Just because these systems have a controller you don't want to start changing this accepted mindset of how how hop schedules are timed as it will create confusion for yourself every time you try to brew someone else's recipe. Its much better just to spend time learning the universal method in the first place even though it might seem back to front.
The first time I brewed with my controller I did the same thing and learned the same lesson as you JackofShadows... you rave that it is all crazy, and then later on you realise that boil times can differ and what is important is the time from the end because that makes all the difference to aroma, flavour and bitterness (function of amount of time in wort, not how long the wort is boiled. So with the way it is, a 5 min addition is a 5 min addition no matter if I am boiling for 20 mins (don't do this - just an example), 60 mins or 90 mins.

Max the additions to Mathos code that you have done are awesome! After close to 2 years brewing with Mathos code I can't wait to brew with ardbir!

I uploaded the ardbir code last night and had the same issues with temp and couldn't save any mash schedules, easy fix is to erase all eeprom entries from your arduino board. Upload the code in the arduino software, File - examples - eeprom - eeprom_clear

I'll be doing some tests tonight so I'll let you know if I find any issues. Thanks again for all your hard work Max

Cheers

Hi guys -

This is a great, informative thread for the ArdBir software. I only have done extract so far and just have a boil kettle. I want to upgrade, so I would like to know if a similar thread exists for the hardware.

I realize there is the single, double, and three tier vessel approaches. I understand there are tradeoffs on efficiency, space, and complexity. I get the impression many here are using a single pot approach (like Braumeister). So far I am partial to the 2 pot compromise (like BrewEasy).

Do you have links or threads where I can see what you built and how it was built?

Thanks

PeteQ said:
Max the additions to Mathos code that you have done are awesome! After close to 2 years brewing with Mathos code I can't wait to brew with ardbir!

I uploaded the ardbir code last night and had the same issues with temp and couldn't save any mash schedules, easy fix is to erase all eeprom entries from your arduino board. Upload the code in the arduino software, File - examples - eeprom - eeprom_clear

I'll be doing some tests tonight so I'll let you know if I find any issues. Thanks again for all your hard work Max

Cheers
As repeated many times you do not need to cancel eeprom, you just configure the entire system.
In order to store configurations mash (recipes) should be done in the initialization process eeprom contained in the menu.
And it's all explained in the manual.

MaxN68 said:
As repeated many times you do not need to cancel eeprom, you just configure the entire system.
In order to store configurations mash (recipes) should be done in the initialization process eeprom contained in the menu.
And it's all explained in the manual.
Sorry Max, definitely getting carried away without reading the manual first... reading the manual all the way through is definitely required before first use.

Just playing around with the controller now and it is bloody awesome! I would love to give it a run this weekend but it will most likely be next weekend. I will check in to let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again Max

Back