Matho's controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stevemc32 said:
Cheers Max.

I'll do a shortened run tomorrow with just water to see if I can reproduce the mash out pump fail and let you know how it goes.
Disconnect the pump & element from your controller before you turn it on, start auto mode and then to cycle through the brewing process just keep holding down the enter button during each step until it beeps and asks you if you want to go the next step.

real_beer said:
Yes I have the same problem with the pump not running in the mash out period. I can pause the process to turn the heat element off or go to the next step 'boil', but if I go to the manual process I can turn the element on & off but when I press the pump button it just clicks on for 1/4 of a second and goes straight off. I've configured & initialised all the settings before using to brew but always have the same problem. All the buttons seem to be mapped out okay so I think there be a small glitch in the code. I've had a lot less problem with the screen scrambling since I disabled the pump_prime(); in VOID auto_mode.
Thinking back to it I did have the same problem with the pump in manual mode. I could switch it on but it would just turn off again straight away.

During the mash out rest stage what I was doing was cancelling auto mode and then resuming auto mode. This would restart me back at the Iodine Check which happened to have the pump running so I would leave it in this state for a couple of minutes before resuming the mash out rest.

I covered the reported errors and I fixed the MashOut.
Regarding the pump ...
In manual mode, the pump is controlled by the ON / OFF button, then a threshold temperature which is set in the EEPROM.
If this value has not been set, the firmware reads a value not consistent and this can cause the release of the relays.
Beyond this value there are others that come into direct correlation with the pump and the temperature reading and are all stored in eeprom.
If you are not running the correct configuration, everything suffers a malfunction.

I insist on this point because it is fundamental to perform this configuration BEFORE you start using ArdBir.

Max are you saying, the system should first be run in manual to set this threshold temp, or is the threshold temp set up prior to installing ArdBir

MastersBrewery said:
Max are you saying, the system should first be run in manual to set this threshold temp, or is the threshold temp set up prior to installing ArdBir
When you power up the controller hold down the enter button & then go through all the menus to set the various options. Don't enter & save any recipe's yet because you'll just flush them out when you press ok in the 'Initialization Menu', this is the last option in the 'Manage Recipes' section. After that you can load recipes or just start using the controller and it should work fine.

Sorry for the English, it is Google's fault. : D

This is the sequence of use
1) Load ArdBir on the Arduino board
2) Set the PID
3) Set Units

At this point in manual mode work without problems

To operate in automatic mode you must set the automation

For manage recipe you must initialize EEPROM from Recipe section

I'm running a race with only water to test the proper operation of the corrections made​​.
As soon as I have finished, if not getting errors put online the updated version

MaxN68 said:
Thanks for the translation of the manual.
As soon as you send me the translation for LCD include it in the ArdBir package
Max,

1. Most of cheap LCDs don't support Cyrillic symbols - and support of Russian in them is done through creating 8 custom symbols and taking rest from English alphabet. As you define those symbols in ArdBir - they can't be used for Cyrillic - and it can be supported only by special LCD, which is 2-3 times more expensive.

2. We've purchased Russian LCD and translated some strings. If we will translate the rest - surely I'll send it to you. But I guess Russian manual needs to be left with English screenshots.

3. Please feel free to add Russian manual to your Google Drive/your site/your signature. Hope this will increase number of users.

And please don't forget to give us version with pump fix for MashOut step.

Thank you for all you are doing.

I have already added the Russian textbook on the Facebook page.
If for the specific use of the Russian language you need a particular LCD can always mentioned.

I have personally tested with a single test water and I have not found errors.
I am waiting for confirmation from other tests to be sure you have everything working.

Sorry Max, I didn't re-do the test as I thought the issue had been confirmed. I will conduct the test tomorrow afternoon to see if I can repeat the mash out pump fail problem.

MaxN68 said:
I have personally tested with a single test water and I have not found errors.
I am waiting for confirmation from other tests to be sure you have everything working.
Hi Max

In auto mode I've run through the menu selections a lot of times and everything is working fine. In Manual Mode the only small detail I notice is that the little H, heating icon is very faint and flickers very very fast, it doesn't do this when running in Auto Mode. If I press and hold the button to turn the heating off in Manual Mode the icon stops flickering and looks normal again. All the buttons in manual mode work fine switching things on and off.

Cheers

Has anyone tried a 20x4 lcd with English? I uploaded to a shield with one, but I think the button controls were on the second line as well as the other stuff on the line? The line is flickering as per the above comment as well.

Anyone created mash profiles they want to share? Be cool to pre-load ArdBir with some solid profiles... new thread for the discussion?

The setting of the display should be done on two specific rows one at the beginning of the sketch, and one toward the end.

# include "LCD20x4_ ***. h"
lcd.begin (20.4);

For ease you can search using this text "LCD***"

I've only got the 16x2 lcd so unfortunately that's the only version I can give feedback about. I know Max would like to get more input about the English version problems from others so he can work them out. He's doing a great job as I think he uses Google to translate to and fro from his native Italian.The mash profiles idea is a good one, especially for people struggling to input them themselves, I haven't got any yet as I'm still tweaking my BM copy build at the moment.

Back