Matho's controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
real_beer said:
I always smile when I visit these links and see numbers like '247 sold', then wonder how many have been ordered by the 'Matho's Controller' enthusiasts :D
lol, I think I've bought about ten of them... stepped on the cord for a couple and destroyed them before I started wrapping the lead around one of the skin fittings, and have four spare... for $10 each it's worth having them laying around is my philosophy.

Hi Lael, Neo_04, Masters Brewery

I have found the cause of my compile and download problem.

It is the Arduino Uno r3 supplied by Lael!!!

I tried using an older version of the compiler - same error
I tried 2 other Uno clones and they both work fine with no errors.
I loaded other small sketches into the Uno and they work with no errors.

I may replace the Mega chip and see if it just the chip but Uno can be bought for so little it seems like a waste of time...

I had bought the Uno with the original code installed with the kit and it did power up and put the expected data on a 2x16 LCD but just will not download the ArdBir file. Compile works and it does appear to download but the verify after download shows an error.

So i have put the Uno clone I bought in and it all works with 4x20 LCD :)

I have spent soo long messing with this thing now...dreaming about them!

Happy to assist anyone who wants to build one or upgrade the LCD.

Thanks for the assistance team.

regards
james

zwitter said:

regards
james
Very happy that at the end of the day you succeed in having your ArdBir up an running with 20x4 LCD and you like it..it's really a big improvement and we are thinking to set as default option

Did you explore the full set of new features? Any feedback or request?

Ciao
Davide

glad to hear you got it going. My suggestion was going to be that it could be due to being a earlier uno version. In this case, that wasnt the problem it seems.

I had a version 1 uno here i was going to copy the code to and it cant due to having a weird bug taking anything over 30k. Later Uno versions dont have the same problem.

With the PCB diagrams supplied my MaxN68, they are bmp pics.
Is that something you can supply to a manufacturer to get a pcb made? Or do you need a pcb file generated from some sort of program?

Also if i remember correctly on the original board of mathos, there was a couple of inputs/outputs free?
Could you modify the board to utilize these if you had the pcb file?

I know nothing about pcb manufacture etc, just thinking of tinkering with a couple of features, so i need another board anyway..

Any advice would be great

zwitter said:
Hi Lael, Neo_04, Masters Brewery

I have found the cause of my compile and download problem.

It is the Arduino Uno r3 supplied by Lael!!!

I tried using an older version of the compiler - same error
I tried 2 other Uno clones and they both work fine with no errors.
I loaded other small sketches into the Uno and they work with no errors.

I may replace the Mega chip and see if it just the chip but Uno can be bought for so little it seems like a waste of time...

I had bought the Uno with the original code installed with the kit and it did power up and put the expected data on a 2x16 LCD but just will not download the ArdBir file. Compile works and it does appear to download but the verify after download shows an error.

regards
james
Hi James,

Glad it's working now. Can you send me the uno and I'll swap it out for a new one? Sorry for the hassle! (or if you are in the area, message me).

Lael

Neo - For all the PCB mfgrs I have worked with, the PCB layout files need to be in a Gerber file format. Not sure if there is a way to convert a BMP.

If anyone wants to modify the circuit design, the schematic & PCB source files need to be made available in some format that is compatible with one of the free schematic capture / PCB design packages out there. The .BMP files can let a designer see how things were laid out and replicate it in their own design package of choice.

There are free Gerber viewers out there as well to just view the PCB layer files, if made available. Not sure if the intent is to make this an open h/w project.

Also missing is the drill that provides the sizing of each of the holes. This is also required for fabrication.

Dave A.

In Italiano

Il lavoro che è stato fatto da DanielXan sotto mia richiesta
è per avere un PCB singola faccia rame facile da fare in casa
con metodi artigianali il tutto per costare ancora meno

Sul mio sito spiego anche come fare con varie foto del processo

http://www.saviot.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=17:modifica-elettronica-brauduino&catid=8&Itemid=138

Alcuni laboratori realizzano PCB anche da files grafico .BMP

Ma si deve chiedere prima al laboratorio se accetta questo formato
e comunque non fanno foratura su PCB con files grafico.

Ma fare un PCB due faccie come da files di brauduino è difficile
molto difficile da fare in casa per questo il PCB di DanielXan
è utile per chi vuole risparmiare e sa farsi dasolo un PCB in Casa

Potete provare voi a realizzare PCB
Anche se mai fatto basta un ferro da stiro un foglio di carta PNP
una stamante Laser acido e si fa facile in casa il PCB di DanielXan

Io posso anche fare PCB per chi non sa farlo
ma dal Italia potrebbe costarvi troppo prendere un PCB da me
meglio vedere nella vostra zona o un vostro amico che sa farlo per voi

In alternativa potete usare il PCB Brauduino del quale esiste la il files
versione per laboratorio professionale
OpenArdBir al suo interno ha la configurazioni di PCB diversi
tra i Quali BrauDuino Originale
Quindi NO problema OpenArdBir Funziona su piu piattaforme di PCB :D

In Inglese

The work that was done by my request under DanielXan
is to have a single-sided PCB copper easy to do at home
with all the traditional methods for much less cost

On my site I explain how to do it with various photos of the process

http://www.saviot.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=17:modifica-elettronica-brauduino&catid=8&Itemid=138

Some laboratories also carry PCBs from graphic files . BMP

But you have to ask first if the laboratory accepts this format
and in any case are not drilling on a PCB with graphic files .

But making a PCB from two sides as files brauduino is difficult
very difficult to do in this house for the PCB DanielXan
is useful for those who want to save money and knows how to make a PCB dasolo House

You can try to make PCB
Although never done just a flat iron a piece of paper PNP
a Laser stamante acid and makes easy homemade PCB DanielXan

I can also do PCB for those who do not know
but the Italian could cost you too take a PCB from me
better to see in your area or a friend who knows how to do it for you

Alternatively you can use the PCB Brauduino which there is the files
version for professional laboratory
OpenArdBir inside it has a different PCB configurations
What BrauDuino between the Original
So NO problem OpenArdBir Works on most platforms PCB : D

Ciao, Davide -

I appreciate your efforts to provide a simple, low cost design - and support.

A friendly request: Is it possible to ask Daniel Xan to provide Gerbers and Drill detail?

I have been a hardware engineer for many years now and never made my own PCB. It is much easier and more reliable to have a PCB house make basic PCBs these days for a low cost. I can provide the link for those who may be interested.

Many Thanks,
Dave

dca said:
Ciao, Davide -

A friendly request: Is it possible to ask Daniel Xan to provide Gerbers and Drill detail?
In ENG

Hello I 've written some message behind
I apologize if the translation program did not translate well
and maybe you do not understand.

DanielXan achieved by drawing directly on the PCB copper side

For this reason, there is neither wiring diagrams
it files other format other than. bmp

I do not know how to draw PCB otherwise I would have done

I limit myself only to realize and prove to give you ideas about ideas

DanielXan and draws directly from the copper side

So at least someone who knows how to do redraws the entire
with a program that generates these files
by DenielXan you can not have these files
simply because the program that uses the method that uses not generate

I repeat for the PCB DanielXan is NOT possible to have other files

not because I did not want to give but please esitono

Since it was direttmanete disengato the PCB from the side graph of copper.

thanks

In Italiano

Ciao l' ho scritto qualche messaggio dietro
mi scuso se il programma di traduzione non ha tradotto bene
e forse non si è capito.

DanielXan ha realizzato il PCB disegnando direttamente il lato rame

Per questo motivo non esistono ne schemi elettrici
ne files di altra natura formato diverso dal .bmp

Io non so disegnare PCB altrimenti avrei fatto io

Mi limito solo a realizzarli provargli e dare idee spunti in merito

e DanielXan gli disegna direttamente dal lato rame

Quindi almeno che qualcuno che lo sa fare ridisegna il tutto
con un programma che genera questi file
da DenielXan non si possono avere questi files
perche semplicemente il programma che usa con il metodo che usa non gli genera

Ripeto per i PCB di DanielXan NON è possibile avere files di altro tipo

non perche non gli vuole dare ma perche non esitono

Dato che è stato direttmanete disengato il PCB dal lato grafico del rame.

Grazie

dca, matho's original PCB has all the gerbers etc available to send to a PCB fabricator. In our case because of the small batches, we used the seeedstudio's fusion PCB service. Matho's schematic works with the ardbir firmware. I don't know if this is the latest version, but here is a link to the eagle PCB files (including gerbers): http://www.mediafire.com/download/ji79nrtwvk3gga2/The+Brauduino.zip

I believe the latest version includes the mod to avoid the LCD scrambling problem when the heater/pump is activated. Someone else may be able to confirm whether this is the latest version or not.

Bonj said:
dca, matho's original PCB has all the gerbers etc available to send to a PCB fabricator. In our case because of the small batches, we used the seeedstudio's fusion PCB service. Matho's schematic works with the ardbir firmware. I don't know if this is the latest version, but here is a link to the eagle PCB files (including gerbers): http://www.mediafire.com/download/ji79nrtwvk3gga2/The+Brauduino.zip

I believe the latest version includes the mod to avoid the LCD scrambling problem when the heater/pump is activated. Someone else may be able to confirm whether this is the latest version or not.
Yes the latest version has the snubber circuit to stop LCD scrambling from seed studio it is $34 for 10 boards.

I wanted to try to clarify a bit ' ideas on ArdBir .
ArdBir wants to be an upgrade of Brauduino and is therefore compatible with the electronics used with the Brauduino project.
Brauduino uses a double sided PCB that is difficult to reproduce at home, so here it has been develope a single-sided PCB for easy homemade.
The availability of material for this PCB is limited to the assembly drawings and print just because it was designed to be used for etching housewife.

Given the growing interest, however, we are working on a definitive and complete schematic as well as the complete PCB Gerber file so that everyone can play the entire project

What does ArdBir then again?
We focused on improving an existing project to give everyone the chance to have new functions and facilities of a 20x4 display .
The recommendation before using ArdBir is only one, and Brauduino ArdBir have a different EEPROM map and ArdBir makes use of many variables stored on EPPROM.
A misreading of the data compromises funzionità basic ArdBir, then, as indicated in the manual, should be done the configurations of the parameters of PID menu and UNIT menu BEFORE using ArdBir.

Below you will find all the changes made .

brauduino semi automated single vessel RIMS
created by s.mathison
Copyright (C) 2012 Stephen Mathison

Modified by Mike Wilson
- Added INPUT_PULLUP to button inputs
- swapped I/O ports for Buzz and Pump
- changed to faherenheit
- added heat and pump (H and P) indicators to the LCD
- turned off pump during boil stage
- added direct output% control and display during boil
- saved boil heat % in EEPROM
- 2v5 fixed hop addition when hoptime == boiltime
- changed boil stage temp to 201 deg F.

Modified by Massimo Nevi (2014)
- Added Buzzer Modulation (NumBeep, Period)
- Added Stage CountDown in Automatic Mode
- Added Stage Watch in Manual Mode
- Modified Max Number of Hops (10)
- Modified stage Wait in Active Pause (PID Controlo On)
- Modified H e P indicator for ON-OFF and Active-Disactive Modulation
- Added Some Control Parameter in Configuration Menu
- Added Temp Pump Stop in Manual Mode
- Dual Scale Temp (°C-°F)
- Reorganized EEPROM
- Reorganized Configuration
- Added Delayed Start
- Added Alert before Mash In
- Jump Step whit Button Press in Automatic Mode

- Added Second Menu Configuration
- Set Scale Temp (°C-°F)
- Set Temp of Boil
- Set Set Time Pump Cycle and Time Rest
- Set Location of Temp Sensor
- Set Pump ON-OFF at Boil
- Set Temp Pump Stop
- Set Calibration Temp

- Reorganized Automation
- Removed Number of Stages Setting
- Fixed Name of Stages (8)
- Dual A-Amylase Stage
- Correct Mash In Stage
- Auto Mash Design
- Correct Time Reset of Pump
- Added Iodine Test (Active Pause)

- Stage Managing
- Load Stage Set
- Save Stage Set
- Delete Stage Set
- Initialize EEPROM

- LCD 16x2 wiew
- LCD 20x4 wiew
- Italian Language
- English Language
- Spanish Language

compiled on Arduino V1.0.5

Did my first brew with the ArdBir software today using the 16x2 and brauduino hardware. Great work to all involved as it really is a nice upgrade.

I did notice a couple of issues through the day and wondered if others had similar experiences with the ArdBir software.

I had a display scramble during a pump rest that was easy to rectify with a quick power down and resume. For some reason the buzzer would sound every ten seconds or so whenever a pump rest was occurring. Is this supposed to happen? I had the pump rests set at 10 minute intervals for a rest time of 2 minutes.

Second issue was the pump did not run at all during the mash out rest. I had mash out set at 76 degrees for 20 minutes and had to stop the auto process to run the pump manually every few minutes to circulate the wort during this stage.

Interested to hear if anyone else had seen this or whether I need to start looking at my own equipment.

I was working on correcting some errors in the view, now I will check these things.
The buzzer function is normal during the break pump, I'm setting every 30 seconds using a different algorithm.
The failure of the pump during the Mash Out I'm rechecking doing simulations.

Thanks anyway for any error message.

Cheers Max.

I'll do a shortened run tomorrow with just water to see if I can reproduce the mash out pump fail and let you know how it goes.

stevemc32 said:
Did my first brew with the ArdBir software today using the 16x2 and brauduino hardware. Great work to all involved as it really is a nice upgrade.

I did notice a couple of issues through the day and wondered if others had similar experiences with the ArdBir software.

I had a display scramble during a pump rest that was easy to rectify with a quick power down and resume. For some reason the buzzer would sound every ten seconds or so whenever a pump rest was occurring. Is this supposed to happen? I had the pump rests set at 10 minute intervals for a rest time of 2 minutes.

Second issue was the pump did not run at all during the mash out rest. I had mash out set at 76 degrees for 20 minutes and had to stop the auto process to run the pump manually every few minutes to circulate the wort during this stage.

Interested to hear if anyone else had seen this or whether I need to start looking at my own equipment.
Yes I have the same problem with the pump not running in the mash out period. I can pause the process to turn the heat element off or go to the next step 'boil', but if I go to the manual process I can turn the element on & off but when I press the pump button it just clicks on for 1/4 of a second and goes straight off. I've configured & initialised all the settings before using to brew but always have the same problem. All the buttons seem to be mapped out okay so I think there be a small glitch in the code. I've had a lot less problem with the screen scrambling since I disabled the pump_prime(); in VOID auto_mode.

Back