Matho's controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update on my problem,

I got the controller up and running, got the temp probe to come up with a temperature, changes when i put the sensor in water, so all good there.
But a couple of things don't seem right.
1. The buzzer is constantly on, all the time, not sure why. Can i try wiring to an unused output?
2. The pump output doesnt seem to do anything.

Am i correct in assuming the pump terminals are just a bridge? As per mathos original wiring diagram, i have a 240v pump and it shows the active
going to either side of the terminal. Basically just bridges the active to turn on the pump.

I tested it in manual mode, pump on, no bride across the terminals.

Any help would be great

EDIT: Upon looking at the wiring diagrams and circuit board layout, i can see the pump terminals are just a bridge, controlled by a normally open relay. I can hear a relay getting triggered when the auto pump prime happens when you start the auto mode. But no bridge across the terminals

Rambo said:
Hmmm... Think I spoke too soon. I'll give it another try tomorrow when I'm not so frustrated. Think I may need to get a new one.
I just uploaded the latest version 2.6.70 onto my Matho shield which I think is the same as the Arduino Uno using the following settings:

Board - Arduino Pro or Pro Mini (5V, 16MHz) W/ ATmega328)
Programmer - AVRISP mkII
Serial Monitor - Both NL & CR 38400 baud

This took about an hour trying lots of different settings & plugging the usb in and out before it finally uploaded. Some things are just quirky and this seems to be one of them :)

Rambo said:
Hmmm... Think I spoke too soon. I'll give it another try tomorrow when I'm not so frustrated. Think I may need to get a new one.

What com port is the USB serial set to under device manager?

Neo__04 said:
Update on my problem,

I got the controller up and running, got the temp probe to come up with a temperature, changes when i put the sensor in water, so all good there.
But a couple of things don't seem right.
1. The buzzer is constantly on, all the time, not sure why. Can i try wiring to an unused output?
2. The pump output doesnt seem to do anything.

Am i correct in assuming the pump terminals are just a bridge? As per mathos original wiring diagram, i have a 240v pump and it shows the active
going to either side of the terminal. Basically just bridges the active to turn on the pump.

I tested it in manual mode, pump on, no bride across the terminals.

Any help would be great

EDIT: Upon looking at the wiring diagrams and circuit board layout, i can see the pump terminals are just a bridge, controlled by a normally open relay. I can hear a relay getting triggered when the auto pump prime happens when you start the auto mode. But no bridge across the terminals
Check that your transistors are in correctly... That is, use a multimeter to confirm that the pins are the correct orientation... One of them controls the buzzer and if it is back to front (or dead) it will run continuously... (Don't ask how I know)
Good luck!

real_beer said:
I just uploaded the latest version 2.6.70 onto my Matho shield which I think is the same as the Arduino Uno using the following settings:

Board - Arduino Pro or Pro Mini (5V, 16MHz) W/ ATmega328)
Programmer - AVRISP mkII
Serial Monitor - Both NL & CR 38400 baud

This took about an hour trying lots of different settings & plugging the usb in and out before it finally uploaded. Some things are just quirky and this seems to be one of them :)
Cheers mate, still no luck for me though.
MaxN68 said:
Have you set the correct pcb on sketch?
Do you mean "board" from the tools dropdown? If so, I've tried them all.
marksy said:
What com port is the USB serial set to under device manager?
On my computer I dont even have the option for comports in the device manager, and on my girlfriends computer the USB serial is not showing up when I plug in the arduino.

This is the error I am getting on my GFs computer
arvrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

Thanks for all your help guys, I'm going to try it on a mates computer over the weekend and if I dont have any luck I may just get a new arduino. The thing thats frustrating me most is that it was working for a while, but just suddenly stopped.... just as I thought I understood what I was doing.

The LED's are intergral to the working of both the heating and pump circuits, ensure these have good clean conections.

MB

Deevotronics said:
Ive got a second Arduino UNO R3 and and wanted to try ArdBir program, so I flashed ArdBir from Dropbox (tried both 2_6_70 and 2_6_63) and get the following error on upload, compile works fine.

avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x7800
0x6d != 0xff
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

Any ideas? Flashed with Brauduino2.ino and it works fine. Im using original PCB with 16x2 LCD.

Cheers.
Hi Deevotronics
I have same issue with the Uno I received with the shield kit. I had a different Uno and it works fine. The original one does work with short programs but not ArdBir.

I bought 2 more Uno from ebay in china and they cost less than $20 delivered for 2.
I think original one may have a memory fault but for the price it is not really worth looking too hard.

James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rambo said:
Cheers mate, still no luck for me though.
Do you mean "board" from the tools dropdown? If so, I've tried them all.
On my computer I dont even have the option for comports in the device manager, and on my girlfriends computer the USB serial is not showing up when I plug in the arduino.

This is the error I am getting on my GFs computer
arvrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

Thanks for all your help guys, I'm going to try it on a mates computer over the weekend and if I dont have any luck I may just get a new arduino. The thing thats frustrating me most is that it was working for a while, but just suddenly stopped.... just as I thought I understood what I was doing.
Hi Rambo

I will blame consumption of alcoholic beverages. The answers are being suggested in this topic but you are missing the jargon.

Max has said repeatedly that the first page of the manual for the software is extremely important. This is more so as we add more features. The sketch has parameters that need to be edited according to the hardware you are loading it into. These are on that first page. You need to specify the PCB = shield = circuit board that the Arduino plugs into. Also the size of the LCD you have connected and language. Without doing this the pins being used to control things and the messages on the display will be messed up.

The changes are made by adding or removing // at the start of lines of code. If the slashes are there then the line is a remark and is ignored by the compiler. If these slashes are removed then it becomes code and is compiled.

With your Arduino and com ports. Part of the Arduino install it installs a driver to make the Arduino plugged into a USB port appear as a serial communications port or Com port. The com port is a virtual one and only appears in the Device manager list when it is plugged in. If you change USB ports then the com port will change as well. In fact a different Arduino may also have a different com port assigned to it.

I suggest you try the following
read the first page of the instructions for the software.
Reinstall the Arduino program.
Check that the Arduino uno is recognised and assigns a com port when it is plugged in.
In the Arduino software select the Uno as the board. And the com port as it was in the above step.
In the sketch, edit with slash marks the PCB as original, LCD as either 16 or 20 in eng for english and search for the LCD as per ArdBir setup on first page and chose 16 or 20 further down in the code.
Compile and check for errors.
Report back.

Nobody said this was easy, it is not. I am electronics engineer for 30 plus years and it took many hours of setup and sorting errors before I managed to compile the code and then it crashed when uploading. I had a faulty Uno. This is a learning experience for many of us. For me the hardware is simple but the code is new.

I like Lael's idea to provide the boards pre built and code loaded but the code changes so often it is valuable to understand how it is done.

I would be happy to assist sorting the issues with hardware and loading Uno. I am in North Rocks in Sydney.

James
Zwitter

PS I am still messing with the pots and pumps etc this is a constant process in attaining brewing perfection.

Working on my problems tonight,

I think maybe the transistor running the buzzer is stuffed. The Emitter and collector or both connected to ground with no power supplied to the base.
The buzzer has constant 12v and the output from the arduino gives some voltage to the transistor to trigger it to send ground to the buzzer to complete the circuit. So I assume thats whats causing that problem. Can i use any old transistor to replace it? I pulled apart a 12v chinese power supply and found some similar transistors. These attach pdf is the specs.

Still trying to work out my problem with the pump, possibly the relay, still working on that

View attachment 483179_DS.pdf

I also have a problem with buzzer that sounds continuously if I forget to modify the correct PCB active.

ArdBir was developed while maintaining compatibility with the PCB of Matho and by implementing a new one easier realization housewife.
I personally use an experimental PCB that has different inputs and outputs with respect to both.

I repeat: you set the correct PCB inside the sketch before uploading?

Yes definately, i always select #include "Pcb_Brauduino_Original.h as im using mathos v2.1 board

Just to confirm, can someone with some electrical/wiring knowledge give me some advice on this one.
I pulled the transistor Q3 out of the board. This one is for the buzzer.

The transistor has 3 pins, 2 in the base, 3 is the collector, 1 is the emitter.
2(base) should run through the R11 resistor back to output 10
1 goes to ground
3 goes to the negative terminal for the buzzer.

So the buzzer terminal has constant voltage on + pin and get ground when the output 10 puts a voltage to the base pin of the transistor
which bridges pin 1 & 3 creating a circuit for the buzzer terminals.

I'm resonably sure this is correct from looking at the schematic etc..

My question, With no transistor connected to the board, should there be a bridge between pin 1 & 3?

Currently it has a bridge, which basically means the circuit is constant anyway so the buzzer always runs.

Something funny going on here or i've done something wrong.

zwitter said:
With your Arduino and com ports. Part of the Arduino install it installs a driver to make the Arduino plugged into a USB port appear as a serial communications port or Com port. The com port is a virtual one and only appears in the Device manager list when it is plugged in. If you change USB ports then the com port will change as well. In fact a different Arduino may also have a different com port assigned to it.
Thanks so much for all that information, it has helped me understand the whole thing a lot more.

My problem though is the part I have quoted above. The 'serial port' from the 'tools' dropdown in the arduino IDE software is greyed out so I cannot select a comport. There is also no comport listed in the device manager as per my previous photo.

The arduino uno is plugged in (and the lights on the board are on). I have tried 2 cords (one brand new). I have tried to reinstall the program.... and still no luck.

Am I missing something? do I need to buy a new arduino?

Hi Rambo

You need USB drivers for the computer to know what an Arduino is when it is plugged in. See http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/Howto Item 3 i think.

When the driver is installed it will recognise the Arduino Uno and assign a com port number to it. It will also allow the Arduino environment to see the board is connected and display the com port in the drop down in tools.

See how you go.

Zwitter

Ok well another little update.

The Pump problem isnt a problem. A trap for young players, have been doing all my testing on usb to make sure everything is ok before wiring up the 240v.
The problem was that a 12v relay wont trigger with the 5v of USB. lol. I should have known that. So the pump is not a problem,

But the buzzer constantly on is still a drama. Advice there would be great!

just one question: how did you set up the following code?
Code:
// SETTING PCB*****
// Select your PCB Version

// Testing PCB
//#include "Pcb_05.h"
//#include "Pcb_11s.h"
//#include "Pcb_14.h"

// Supported PCB
//#include "Pcb_ArdBir_DanielXan.h"
//#include "Pcb_Brauduino_DanielXan.h"
//#include "Pcb_Brauduino_Original.h"
Code:
// SETTING LCD*****
// Select your LCD

// LANGUAGE ITA
//#include "LCD16x2_ITA.h"
//#include "LCD20x4_ITA.h"

// LANGUAGE ENG
//#include "LCD16x2_ENG.h"
//#include "LCD20x4_ENG.h"

// LANGUAGE ESP
//#include "LCD16x2_ESP.h"
//#include "LCD20x4_ESP.h"

// LANGUAGE POR
//#include "LCD16x2_POR.h" ** Not Available
//#include "LCD20x4_POR.h"
Code:
// SETTING LCD*****
// Select your LCD
//  lcd.begin(16,2);
//  lcd.begin(20,4);

zwitter said:
Hi Rambo

You need USB drivers for the computer to know what an Arduino is when it is plugged in. See http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/Howto Item 3 i think.

When the driver is installed it will recognise the Arduino Uno and assign a com port number to it. It will also allow the Arduino environment to see the board is connected and display the com port in the drop down in tools.

See how you go.

Zwitter

Thanks for your help again mate... I got a little bit further this time but still seems like the board is not being recognised by my computer. This is what its saying now.

Big day at work tomorrow, so will have to wait till the weekend I think before I look at it anymore

comport error.jpg

Latest posts

Back