Matho's controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Version 2.6.70 updated

Clarification on the use of the new system PID

Version 2.6.63 and earlier: value kI = 1
Version 2.6.65: kI value = 0.25
Version 2.6.70: kI value = 0.25

So the conversion of the kI value in the SET PID should be done only if you used a version 2.6.63 or earlier.

zwitter said:
Hi Smokomark
Do you have a volt meter or resistance meter?
Power off ansd unplug from wall
Un plug the arduino.
Measure from ground side of switch to the gnd connection to 12v supply. Should be close to 0 ohms
Measure other side of switch to resistor R1. Should be close to 0 ohms one end of resistor and 10,000 (10k) the other end. It should also be close to 0 ohms from same side of switch to pin 1 of J8 connector to arduino.
You could compare with one of the other switches. Like next switch and R2 and pin 2 of J8
Probably check the value of the resistors and that arduino plugs in correctly.
And that if you programmed arduino that you selected correct board type and display type etc.
Zwitter
James
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Thanks James.
I had checked reistance from switches to board connection, all checked out ok.
Tonight I checked from switch to resistor and found open circuit from start switch to resistor. I soldered in a jumper from switch to resistor and all works fine.

Thanks for your help troubleshooting this guys. Much appreciated.

Mark

Pirate323i said:
I agree, get some insulated wire and jumper from the resistor to where it is connected... That is bypass the board. These resistors are external pull-up resistors for the buttons, and should not effect how the screen displays.. It is possible that your 240v wiring is affecting the screen. Cavemanbrew had a similar problem. I believe it was a matter of tidying the wiring that fixed the problem.
Good luck!
spent a couple hours trying to find the problem its most likely the solder. either I get not display, all squares or messed up characters with the odd '!' or '?'. Its driving me nuts as the board is starting to take its toll due to all the resoldering (I have been using a multimeter to check for continuity).

Ive got a second Arduino UNO R3 and and wanted to try ArdBir program, so I flashed ArdBir from Dropbox (tried both 2_6_70 and 2_6_63) and get the following error on upload, compile works fine.

avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x7800
0x6d != 0xff
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

Any ideas? Flashed with Brauduino2.ino and it works fine. Im using original PCB with 16x2 LCD.

Cheers.

Most my errors uploading are because I've swapped boards and forgot to select it or another device is using my com port and I haven't selected the right com port for board.

Hoping someone can help me with a problem I'm having uploading ArdBir (or anything) to my arduino.

Finally got my controller finished over the weekend, and seemed to be working ok with Matho's code that was uploaded already by Lael. There seemed to be a few bugs (numbers not displaying correctly) so I thought Id try uploading ArdBir. This all worked fine (once I worked out how to download and install the extra libraries) though when I plugged it back in to the controller the buzzer started going off continuisly.

I unplugged it and did some more reading and saw that the ArdBir program swaps the buzzer and heater pins. Not sure if this is why I had the problems butI decided to re upload Matho's code....

Now here is the problem, when I try to upload it the Arduino software tells me "serial port com3 not found". I then go up to change the serial port and it is greyed out and I cant select it. I also tried to change it from the device manager but cant see any serial ports there either. Googleing told me that it may be the cord, so I replaced that today and still the same.

Any help here would be very much appriciated.

I've tried several USB ports, but only have the one computer. I'll try it on a mates computer on the weekend if I haven't worked it out by then. :)

I reinstalled the arduino program... Couldn't work out how to reinstall the driver.

A couple of queries,

With no temp probe connected, what should the temp read? Shouldnt it be 4000c or something?

With the latest firmware 2.70 ardbir, The buzzer is on and stay on as soon as the controller is powered up.
Also the temp reads 0.0c

Any idea what this could be?

edit: I have the right LCD & right board selected in the setup..

My problem with doing that is that there is no port dropdown to choose from.

Device manager.jpg

Rambo, If there is nothing plugged in, there will be no ports tab.

Just confirmed that on my pc. With the ardruino plugged in, it shows the ports tab and the device listed,
when its unplugged, the device goes, and so does the whole ports tab.

Is the arduino powering up when plugged in via usb to the pc?

Yeah, the arduino is plugged in, and the lights are on (but seemingly no one is home).

Rambo said:
Yeah, the arduino is plugged in, and the lights are on (but seemingly no one is home).
Rambo, you could try choosing different arduino boards in the Tools menu and also closing down & starting up the Arduino IDE again when you do. This has worked for me in the past, don't ask me why it worked though. I think the problem lies more within the Arduino IDE code because I had my issues using Linux Mint. After the port was recognised I chose my Arduino Uno board and everything was fine again.

real_beer said:
Rambo, you could try choosing different arduino boards in the Tools menu and also closing down & starting up the Arduino IDE again when you do. This has worked for me in the past, don't ask me why it worked though. I think the problem lies more within the Arduino IDE code because I had my issues using Linux Mint. After the port was recognised I chose my Arduino Uno board and everything was fine again.
Cheers mate, tried that and no luck for me unfortunately

djar007 said:
Can you try another usb port on another computer.
Dug out my girlfriends old netbook and downloaded the arduino software (finally... man how did we manage to not kill anyone when using computers in the past.... so SLOW)....... and it works, so at least I know its not the arduino board. Still no idea whats causing it on my computer though.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Hmmm... Think I spoke too soon. I'll give it another try tomorrow when I'm not so frustrated. Think I may need to get a new one.

Back