Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thefatdoghead

Reaction score
Hi guy's,
Im just making the change from extract to AG and would really appreciate any info on mash tun's such as: Is a quality Eski going to last me for years or should I go for a s/s kettle and insulate it. My set-up will be for 50L as I want to fill 2 kegs each brew. I have seen good quality Eski's for 100 bucks but im not sure so any help would be great
cheers
Gav

The Coleman Xtreme seemed to be the most popular when I was looking to start a few months ago. Best bit is the V channel in the bottom so you don't get much left in the bottom when you drain it out.

I use a 45L (50 Liter / Quart you get from your LHBS) as a mashtun with a false bottom and a pickup tube. Works great however does need a bit of insulation in the colder months. Best part is the ease of cleaning. (98L boiler, i currently do 40-46L batches, however could extend this to 60L for low grav beers.)

Also i find that if brewing any beers that require a stepped mash (wheat/pilsner etc) you can easily sit it on the burner and slowly recycle the wort into a jug and add it into the top. I find this reduces any hot spots and slowly ramps the temp evenly.

However an esky would be fine unless you are planning to do the above, which may require a rimms / herms.

S/S -> pump would be my recommendation. You can always upgrade / build addons to your S/S pot, but the esky has limits.

I use a 36L (10 Gal) Rubbermaid cooler. I always do double batches with up to 10kg of grain. I mash in at 2.5l/kg and it is usually about 75mm from being full. It doesn't leave enough room to mash out with doubles. It holds it's temperature very well over the hour.

Hey Felon - any ideas where I can find one of those 36L coolers ? Bunnings only has the 15L variety. Help please ?

Hey Felon - any ideas where I can find one of those 36L coolers ? Bunnings only has the 15L variety. Help please ?

Here

Ask to have it made into a Mash Tun. They will install a stainless false bottom, pickup tube & weldless ball valve kit.
I was using one of these for quite a while & lost 0-1deg over the 60min mash.

I got mine from a friend who gave brewing but it was missing the lid. I made a few calls to the Australian distributor (can't remember who it was but they were in Melbourne), you can buy them from them, but they had none in stock at the time. I ended up buying one of the 7 gallon ones from The Big Green Shed just so I could use the lid for my 10 Gallon cooler.

Try this from the Rubbermaid site.

Rubbermaid Commercial Products - Australia

PO Box 5120
Hallan, Victoria 3803

2 National Drive,DANDENONG SOUTH V
Victoria 3975
Phone: +03-87873838
Fax: +03-87873839
Email: [email protected]

Tried to buy from Rubbermaid, but they don't do retail. They put me onto an outlet in Footscray - they wanted $215 +GST !!!! Off to BCF tomorrow ! Thanks X The Eliminator for the heads up !

I just purchaced a rubbermaid 5 gal (US$25) for 99 bucks including delivery from the US, had to go via a shipping agent, shipping is pricey but over $200 in Aus is criminal IMO

Woohoo ! Got it ! $95 from Bayswater BCF. They had a few of them there too. I'll be brewing a batch of ale very shortly methinks ! Regards, CV

sports clubs generally have them and want to get rid of them because they are too big to move around (like my softball club) so i got one nice and cheap ;)

hey CV-

im interested in this set up- i want to use a bucket in bucket system only bucket in rubbermaid (or equivalent barrel shaped cooler) instead of the SS false bottoms from G&G.

The convenience of being able to lift the bucket of grain out of the mash tun appeals to me.

my question is this: would you be able to fit a decent sized bucket (with handle) into your cooler?

cheers

george

Hey George, instead of a bucket in the cooler, you could use a mesh bag like they use for BIAB in the cooler. saves having to use false bottoms, though i have heard that the wort can flow around the grain bag (don't quote me on that though).

I have had a "keep cold" 55 litre round cooler since about 2005 and has done around 200 x 50 litre brews but has now started to deteriorate badly.
It is buckled inside due to heat and it has some pretty horrendous stains inside that I don't seem to be able to remove.
It also has scratches from removing and replacing the manifold for cleaning each time.

I am currently building a s/steel pot with insulation and a false bottom to replace the worn out unit.

My advice would be that if you are going to stick with this brewing hobby (obsession) then go the stainless path.
If it is going to be a short term thing then go the esky (the cheaper rectangular ones are OK) and at least when the novelty wears off you still have an esky for bought beer :p

Cheers

Sorry guys - busy week.... I've heard that the best esky coolers are "heat proofed" to avoid warping. Dunno if the new one is, but will soon find out.... I did my first mashes in a 20L bucket that had insulation wrapped around it. Rustic, but the beer was fine. Couldn't do lotsa grain so it limited you to regular strength beers. No problem... I sparged in a double 20L bucket "zapap" system - again, rustic but the beer was fine. With this new cooler (Cosmoplast "Keep Cold" 36L) I can see higher grain bills/ possible double batches. As for a biab/false bottom/bucket system - I was thinking of lining the cooler with some cheesecloth/muslin/nylon - something with a fairly open weave. The bases of these coolers (and eskys) are fairly broad, so I can see the grain being spread nicely. I'm thinking seriously of replacing the tap in the unit though - probably a ball valve or similar. Will let you know how I progress.... Regards, CV

Well, down to Bunnings I went - to fetch a new ball valve assembly. No 15mm valves in stock, so I went for a 20mm and a reducing fitting (nipple). AAAGH !!!! It turns out the existing tap assembly is recessed INTO the housing of the aforementioned cooler. I shelled out $15 for the bits (kept the receipt !) and no luck.... One win though ! BCF (where I bought my cooler) had 3 burner Companion cast iron burners for $54.95 ! Score ! It will pair up well with my 50L stainless steel brew keg boiling vessel. I used to use a 2 burner but it took a while to get the wort boiling, and it didn't really achieve the rolling boil I was after. Also, I presume greater evaporation rates will be attained. A mash brew imminent ! Regards, CV

Well, down to Bunnings I went - to fetch a new ball valve assembly. No 15mm valves in stock, so I went for a 20mm and a reducing fitting (nipple). AAAGH !!!! It turns out the existing tap assembly is recessed INTO the housing of the aforementioned cooler. I shelled out $15 for the bits (kept the receipt !) and no luck.... One win though ! BCF (where I bought my cooler) had 3 burner Companion cast iron burners for $54.95 ! Score ! It will pair up well with my 50L stainless steel brew keg boiling vessel. I used to use a 2 burner but it took a while to get the wort boiling, and it didn't really achieve the rolling boil I was after. Also, I presume greater evaporation rates will be attained. A mash brew imminent ! Regards, CV

Hey CV go up to Swan hardware in Kilsyth they have the same ball valves as the big green shed except they are less than half the price .

Cheers
Mike

Thanks Mike - going by the shop on Friday, will do. I think I need a 3" (or thereabouts) extension piece as well to get outside the outer wall of the cooler. Thanks again. CV

Latest posts

Back