Mash Tun/lauter Tun Build Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doombrewer

Reaction score
Hey all, got the AG setup gaining some momentum but had a few questions that I hope some on here may help in shedding some light on. Got a 3 tier gravity fed system in the works with all ss pots.

Pretty right with the build so far aside from the mash/lauter tun, initial plan was to have a combined one, with a burner beneath and just manually recirculate. I recently went to one of the G&G demo's where we were given the advice that this could be problematic applying a direct flame to a pot with a false bottom in it and best to keep mash/lauter in separate vessels unless we used some sort of internal heating unit in the tun as opposed to direct flame.

I get this hobby is very much 'what works for you', leaning to maybe just giving it a shot the way it was initially planned and if it stuffs up then learn from it. I'd be open to some veterans of the craft's thoughts on the topic, probably just overly stressing it and should just jump into the build and see what happens but appreciate any tips or experience anyone could lend to the matter.

Cheers.

I use an over the side, Grimwood immersion heater that I purchased from Grain and Grape. It allows me to bump up the mash temperature if I am abit low. They are a bit pricey but work well.

I dont recirc but mash in an esky, do first runnings into boiler, sparge water direct from kettle (at my desired sparge temp) and stand for 10 min, do second runnings into boiler and a final sparge, stand and drain to make up to desired volume in boiler. I could recirc manually but find i dont need too.
I find it works a treat every time, great efficiency, albeit a little hands on...but i enjoy it and i love my ghetto gear.

Personally, i would avoid direct heat from a burner and opt for an immersion element if i was going to make any changes.

Latest posts

Back