Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Another 1V recirculating Mash Tun build - Clints

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by Clintonb, 26/9/19.

1. Clintonb

Posted 26/9/19
    Hi all,

I am thinking of building 1V recirculating mash tun. This will be a slow build to start with, so bear with me until I find time the start it. In the meantime, I am trying to gather parts and information before starting the actual build. I will ask a few questions along the way and I appreciate all the help in advance.
    I currently have an approx 210L vessel (always thought it was 190L but measured it today 600mm x 760mm) and a 98L malt pipe (Soga pot) well soon to be converted into a malt pipe as well as a 65W pump from checky peak, 3 x 1/2 inch 3 piece ball valves, whirlpool and pick up attachments, 2 x 3600 watt heating elements, Auberin DSPR320 unit, 1/2 inch silicone hose and a whole heap of tri-clamp bits and pieces for the build.
    My plan is nothing new that I have not seen the brains trust use before. I have roughly based it on QLD Kevs build but on a little larger scale.

Thanks Clinton

Attached Files:

Last edited: 26/9/19
  2. Frothy Boi

Posted 26/9/19
    Nice! I'm keen to see how this build progresses.

3. Drewgong

Posted 26/9/19
    The inside welds of the tank look like they need some work. I used to build wine tanks for a living every little pinhole can grow bacteria.

4. Clintonb

Posted 29/9/19
    The welds aren't too bad, yes they need a little clean up but I think they should be fit for purpose. I bought two of them off a bloke who makes wine and that's what they were intended for but he got really sick and couldn't make wine anymore.

5. Clintonb

Posted 29/9/19
    My main drama ATM is I just realised because I saw a build the other day of someone who tried to use a similar pot is that the base of those pots I think are laminated, 1mm thick stainless encased aluminum. If this is the case it will throw a spanner in the works as I want to slot the bottom. Can anyone confirm/deny that this is the case for a 98L soga pot?

Thanks

Clinton

6. Drewgong

Posted 29/9/19
    If you were close by i could help you out , Id be looking for someone who can run over the inside seems with a tig any little pinholes will grow bacteria and im not sure if the boil would kill them off ....my 2 cents

7. Clintonb

Posted 29/9/19
    Thanks, I have a tig, I will have a closer look at it when I start building. Cheers

Drewgong likes this.
  8. Clintonb

Posted 2/10/19
    I have confirmed with someone else that has a Soga pot, that the base of the pot is laminated 1mm thick stainless encased aluminum. So this has thrown a spanner in the works as I wanted to put slots in the bottom like others have done. Not sure what I will do now, I may need to find another vessel to do that with, any suggestions?

Thanks

Clinton

9. Clintonb

Posted 4/10/19
    Just an update I acquired a new pot today to better suit my project. It has a solid bottom which will be far better to slot that the other one which was encapsulated.

Attached Files: