Mash Tun Esky - Differences Between Brands and Ranges

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

As I've mentioned in other threads, I've had some problems with what I think is astringency due to over-sparging so I'd like to try no-sparge. Problem is my current esky is 26L which is fine when I batch sparge a 20L batch but not big enough for a full-volume no-sparge.

So, I've been hunting around online for a new esky to use as a mash tun. Just wondering if there is any noticeable difference between "standard" eskies and the ones with better insulation, e.g. Coleman make a "standard" esky and an "Xtreme" which they say keeps things colder for longer so I'm assuming it's got better insulation. But there's a marked price difference too - $119 vs. $169 for a 47L version. ATM, I'm leaning towards a Coleman Xtreme 58L. Anything else worth considering?

I put a piece of styrofoam from a broccoli box lid directly on top of the mash. Stops a hell of a lot of heat loss

The better the quality of the esky, the less heat lost during the mash. I use an icekool one- pretty much the same as techniice ones. I also put a slab of styro directly on the mash and only get a 2deg drop over an hour.

Cheers,
RB

Techniice look good! Just wondering if anyone could give me some idea of the internal volume of the 40L/60L models? As I mentioned in another thread, I'd like to try no-sparge for a standard 20L batch so I'm thinking the 60L model is the one to go for?

171 for 250l
272 for 500l

Roughly half the volume for Techniice. Bigger is always better I say, so I would say go the 60 over the 40.

Idzy

definitely worth considering what you might want later and also making the two tuns you have handle different sized batches imo

I have an evakool ice mate which is 70ltrs with internal dimensions of 350mm wide x 300mm deep x 750 length,
DSC_1191.JPG
I would look at something more box shaped next time, so basically it could cope with a smaller mash but also a bigger one. I'd have reservations about only half or 1/3 filling something long with a large contact area with the air and a small amount of liquid under it

the "outer (edit) mark" boxes at bunnings look good, nice and deep and square'ish - the 50ltr might be good

good luck
ps
what sort of manifold/screen will you use? some eskys with the wheels make things a bit less symmetrical regarding making a manifold and or flow

techni ice on spesh at the moment

www.techniice.com/ice-boxes/signature-series/60l-ice-box-signature.html

Latest posts

Back