Mash Temperature Effect On Final Gravity - Formula?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I'm starting to do some digging around to help Rob@BrewMate to refine a feature (can't expect him to do all the work)

Most people mash at mid 60s to try and get a 'sweet spot' between Alpha and Beta amylase activity, so most beers you would expect to attenuate out at say 1010 depending on yeast.
However some recipes call for a mash at, say 70 for a low alcohol beer with body and flavour as this could attenuate to a FG of typically 1022 ... ish

Yet again, when looking for a drier beer some will go for a low mash temp such as 62-64 - typically Aussie Sparklings, some German Alt styles and so on that could end up maybe 1004. Thus the mash temperature can have a massive effect on the final ABV%. Example: my comp mild is in the low alc class but starts at around 1043, mashed at 70. If I mashed lower it would end up as a best bitter strength instead.

So there is obviously a sliding scale relationship, and where it would come in handy for BrewMate is that if you change the mash temp then the ABV% would also change.

OK I realise that the attenuation of yeast strains differs, and recipes can have a lot of stuff like Carapils etc that doesn't ferment much. However ignoring that does anyone know of a formula for mash temp vs final gravity, all else being equal?

Hi Bribie

The dude at braukaiser.com did a experiment and has an interesting article on temp and attenuation. here is the article. There is also an overall page on attenuation here .

Hope that helps.

Cheers

I suspect that you may get a "all else being equal" relationship but how useful would it be when FG is so dependent on yeast characteristics, grist composition, fermentation conditions etc?

Maybe send an email to wyeast/whitelabs and ask them how they work out their range of attenuation %, what kind of wort they're using and how that relates to homebrewer worts.

I'm sure they use a standard mid range mash temp or something to work it out, maybe they have an idea of what to expect, in general, when the mash varies from their set temp.

Table 4.6 on page 124 of Brewing Science and Practice has the ratio of fermentable-extract : extract at verious mash lengths and temperatures that would allow a general formula to be written off known attenuations with a control yeast at each end of the temperature range.

EDIT: you'd have to incorporate mash length in there for it to have any accuracy.

As an example, at 60C, a 180 minute mash extracts 62.2% and 50.2% is fermentable.

At 70C a 15 minute mash extracts 61.2% but only 40.9% of it is fermentable.

Back