Mash on a higher temperature

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been suspicious of the various digital thermometers I've (for various reasons) resorted to using of late. 2 days ago I purchased a Mercury/glass lab thermometer to verify the accuracy of my digital equipment.
...Seems we've both been mashing in a similar temperature range, I'll go out on a limb here and say that you'll be ok, you'll still make beer but you may quietly query the final product.

I'd persist with it. If the ramp-up time was slow enough, there may well have been an adequate conversion as it heated up. One online report says: "Mashing for a full 60 minutes doesn’t hurt anything, but you might not be accomplishing anything — especially in a high-temperature mash — after 20 minutes has elapsed."

And who knows - you might have stumbled on a winner - saving time and power (if the mashout were to be quite short, and not an hour!), and producing a multi-faceted beer. But go for it, and let us know how it turns out.

Quokka42 said:
The 48 sounds like a protein rest. From the sounds of things the mash has probably spent enough time at temperatures low enough for the enzymes to work to convert most of the starches, you just might have a little more tannins and such depending on the recipe. It will probably turn out to be an OK beer, but you might need to age it a bit. Again a lot depends on what recipe you were making.
[SIZE=10.5pt]Thanks Quokka42. The OG was encouraging. It was 1046 instead of 1050. It's an amber Ale with most of the malt being amber malt. A bit of wheat malt and crystal. 5.5kg of malts altogether.[/SIZE]

evoo4u said:
I'd persist with it. If the ramp-up time was slow enough, there may well have been an adequate conversion as it heated up. One online report says: "Mashing for a full 60 minutes doesn’t hurt anything, but you might not be accomplishing anything — especially in a high-temperature mash — after 20 minutes has elapsed."

And who knows - you might have stumbled on a winner - saving time and power (if the mashout were to be quite short, and not an hour!), and producing a multi-faceted beer. But go for it, and let us know how it turns out.
[SIZE=10.5pt]Agree evoo4u. I'll persist. it's been fermenting for the last 3.5 days and the first 2 days were very active. It's slowed down now but it looks like there were enough food for the little guys to break the sugar in there. even the smell from the air locker is good. if it turns out better than a VB or a XXXX will be happy with it. I have a feeling it will be an ok beer with a bitter end at the back of the thong [/SIZE]

Depends what sort of thong you are referring to.

thong.jpg

And who's wearing it.

Listen to the most recent brulosophy podcast. They're talking about this very thing! They couldn't tell the difference between 2 beers brewed at wildly different temps. You might end up with a higher fg, and less alcohol, but it'll taste fine!

That's the tack I've been taking in brewing British Dark Milds for competitions.

To brew a mild less than 4% alcohol, just start with a grain bill that would normally give you 5% but mash it at 71 degrees, and don't let it fall below that.

Yeah.. just gonna leave this here

ed: that's for Pallyjim, with a subtle message to take Brulosophy with a grain of (brewing) salt. I read everything they post but a number of good points were made in that thread also.

Bribie G said:
That's the tack I've been taking in brewing British Dark Milds for competitions.

To brew a mild less than 4% alcohol, just start with a grain bill that would normally give you 5% but mash it at 71 degrees, and don't let it fall below that.
I do mine at 70 for 30 mins but not 78.

It all makes me think back to the old days when they mastered (or fooled upon) all this before our modern gadgets.
Like steep the grain with water then gently stir while warming all the way through to whatever, maybe even the boil?
Drain and batch sparge or fly sparge.
It worked in the old days. Beer is very forgiving to make.

drjoffily said:
Thanks Quokka42. The OG was encouraging. It was 1046 instead of 1050. It's an amber Ale with most of the malt being amber malt. A bit of wheat malt and crystal. 5.5kg of malts altogether.
So your grain bill was solely Amber malt + wheat malt + Crystal? With the majority being Amber malt? [emoji15]
If your talking, say, 80%+ of Amber then you might be struggling for enough enzyme converting capacity from the wheat malt to convert the Amber to sugars, even with a decent amount of time in the 60*C's. In which case, the brevity of time you've accidentally had might make it even more unlikely. So you might have a lot of starch present in your final wort. [emoji51]

Having said that, 1.046 is an encouraging sign you might be ok, so may as well see what happens! If you had a large enough amount of wheat malt in there then 20mins going through ~63-68*C should convert most of the starch (as stated in earlier posts).

Any update on this one? Assume it has fermented out by now, what was the FG?

I don't think I've seen one Brulosophy experiment where any substantial number of people could tell the difference between anything. It's as if the experiments are engineered to achieve the outcome they end up with, whether deliberately or not...

Anyway, I'm also interested to see how this is turning out.

I wonder if you mashed in at room temp and then just put the thing on to boil, lifting the grain at 78c and then letting it continue on to boiling, what sort of conversion you would get?

Given the amount of time most peoples' rigs take to heat up, I dare say it would probably work fine. Probably spend a good 30min+ between 60 and 78 anyway, which with modern malts seems to be enough.

Pallyjim said:
Listen to the most recent brulosophy podcast. They're talking about this very thing! They couldn't tell the difference between 2 beers brewed at wildly different temps. You might end up with a higher fg, and less alcohol, but it'll taste fine!
Spot on Pallyjim! The FG was 1.028 which left me with a ABV of 2.3%. a very light beer. I also tasted it and it tasted good! surprise surprise! I'm looking forward to open one next week to taste the final product. A 2.3% beer might be the perfect excuse to my wife. Now I can drink 2 beers Mon to Thu :)

Latest posts

Back