Manly Brewer Breaks Wine Circle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a bunch of freakin' douche tubes these bureaucrats are.
Can't say it better than most here, but supporting produce made outside the shire over a company that has been awarded for excellence within it is short-sighted in the extreme.

Some ideas that 4Pines should put together:

- Host their own 'Beer & Food' festival in protest - turn it into an event that shows that great craft beer can be paired well with fine food.
- Invite the Douche Bag Mayor and get that person to literally eat and drink their words and admit that beer pairs well with food and should be supported at future festivals.
- PR the 4Pines festival and protest story in the same publication as this article
- Send a one page press release of their concerns to other leading Sydney papers for inclusion in their articles
- If all fails or that's too hard turn up to a council meeting with a bottle of wine from elsewhere and a bottle of manly beer and ask the councilors eye to eye why they are supporting an interstate winery over local business and their own constituents.
- Hand out flyers in front of the Food and Wine Festival detailing why they are not attending the event and ask them to support the business down the road after they enjoy the event. Place an enticing offer on the flyer to get the punters in. Get photos of punters who do come in and then send these photos to publications as further PR of their effective protest, giving council a lot to think about.
- If this nonsense continues next year then make the protest event an annual event.

Imbeciles like this shouldn't be representing the rest of us. They need to be taught a few things. :angry:

My 2 bob,

Hopper.

And the fact that any food and wine festival worth it's salt will also have equipment stalls/demos, which are just as close to 'food and wine' as beer is. Semantics are for people who don't have any better arguments.

WTF?!?! I don't get this... its a FOOD AND WINE festival, it has never pretended to have anything remotely to do with beer! I'd love to see beer there too, don't get me wrong, but really why should they do it? As it is there are heaps of wine companies that get turned away each year (its a ballet system), its a bit rough demanding that other products get included when spots are already tight for companies that actually are under the "food and wine" banner...

WTF?!?! I don't get this... its a FOOD AND WINE festival, it has never pretended to have anything remotely to do with beer!
Not even remotely you say? You're right, you don't get it.

He's got a point. If it was Food and Alcoholic beverages then sure but it does say wine at the end there.

Not even remotely you say? You're right, you don't get it.
What are you on about??? Its a W-I-N-E festival. Always has been. And now that they allow beer to be included but with restrictions you are crying foul???

So do you think beer should be served at coffee festivals too? Or how about vintage car shows? Or maybe arts and crafts fairs?

:rolleyes:

So do you think beer should be served at coffee festivals too? Or how about vintage car shows? Or maybe arts and crafts fairs?

Even though it may seem out of place I would appreciate the beer being there and would have a drink or two. :icon_drunk:

What are you on about??? Its a W-I-N-E festival. Always has been. And now that they allow beer to be included but with restrictions you are crying foul???

You say that beer isn't even remotely related to food and wine. I think you're wrong. I've had beer with food plenty of times. PLENTY. And you know what? I'm not alone on this! I bet you have too. But of course, they are not even remotely related. By that reasoning, you're not even remotely related to your cousin - maybe you should hook up?

Go to the Melbourne Food and Wine festival - last year the beer stalls were around the double figure mark. As were the cooking equipment stalls.

I wouldn't expect to see beer at a coffee festival, but it would show vision and an understanding of the market to include a chocolate stall or something like that.

I'll say it again - semantics are for people who don't have any better arguments. The link between food and beer is most certainly there, and if the link is too tenuous then I hope we don't see cooking equipment, cutlery and chinaware in any of the stalls either...

Sure its a food and wine festival but many other food and wine festival now includes micro beers. In my experience food and wine festivals are food based. They have evolved to include other fine artisanal products such as wine because they go hand in hand with fine food. These festivals should be a celebration of fine food and everything that comes along with it, including beer. There should be an emphasis about local produce and nothing is more local then 4 pines.

The other thing to note is that they are allowing beer there this year but seem to be going out of their way to make it very hard for 4 pines, while not posing any stupid restriction on wine. I think that is one of the main points that people are annoyed with.

I think these kind of festivals are great. They are no doubt invaluable in educating the public about new cuisine, foods, preparations etc. They bring communities together with food which cant be a bad thing. I think the organizers however, should become at bit more progressive and support local business, including breweries. The way forward for craft breweries is to becomes integrated under this banner of food and wine. It needs to be recognised as a legitimate part of this culture and be separated from the mass produced beer culture if it is going to gain traction in this country with respect to tax concessions etc. Public education via forums such as food and wine festivals are vital.

Thats my opinion on the matter. I just think its a shame that craft beer is not recognised as being a sophisticated product that forms part of this food and wine culture.

I recall going to a "Thai Food Festival" several years back in Sydney.....
Would you lads be there complaining about the lack of Indian Curries...??

I'm yet to go to a Beer festival with a smattering of wine stalls for that matter

I wonder if the restrictions have been put in place to stop the Carlton Draught truck and similar Mega brewery 'outlets' from turning up.

Maybe the rules need to be tweaked to assist and encourage micro breweries and micro wineries at events like this and discourage the mega producers.

If there is enough interest in micro brewed beers at the Food and Wine Festival from paying customers, then the organisers would be mad not to take the challenge up and change the title etc. If not and there is a customer support base, then someone will surely start a Food and Beer festival.

Just my 2 cents.

well said yum yum yum.

Arguing semantics about what is "food and wine" from a literal perspective is pointless because it completely misses the point that these festivals are not a celebration of dictionary definitions, they are a celebration of food and wine culture. Food and wine culture is a huge area that is not limited to two simple words.

@pete2501 - LOL

I'd turn up to look at, ummm drink Sarah's beers. :icon_cheers:

Even though it may seem out of place I would appreciate the beer being there and would have a drink or two. :icon_drunk:

Yeah totally! I'd love to see it there too, all I am saying is that there's no point getting fired and accusing the council of wowserism, when it was never meant to include beer in the first place...

Arguing semantics about what is "food and wine" from a literal perspective is pointless because it completely misses the point that these festivals are not a celebration of dictionary definitions, they are a celebration of food and wine culture. Food and wine culture is a huge area that is not limited to two simple words.

Ohhh... so you know the cultural intent of the Manly festival organiser now....?
jibba jabba

You say that beer isn't even remotely related to food and wine. I think you're wrong. I've had beer with food plenty of times. PLENTY.
No. You have misunderstood me again! I am saying that it has nothing to do with the Manly Food and Wine Festival... It has always been a (shocking I know) festival for food and wine... Getting up in arms at the idea that beer is not allowed is ridiculous!

Of course beer goes with food, that's got nothing to do with what I am saying here!

No. You have misunderstood me again! I am saying that it has nothing to do with the Manly Food and Wine Festival... It has always been a (shocking I know) festival for food and wine...
So Pete2501 was right.

FTR - I'm not up in arms about anything. But I reserve the right to call ignorant people ignorant :)

@WarmBeer - Quiet you, the adults are talking

Without getting into the "Food and wine" debate, I think it's a piss poor effort on the organisers front, that they are sticking their noses up at the only maker of alcohol in their council (well the only one I know of). Surely some encouragement could be allowed.

So they don't want a lowbrow crowd at their event? I've seen pissed clowns on wine too. Fancy that.
I feel like a beer.

FTR - I'm not up in arms about anything. But I reserve the right to call ignorant people ignorant :)

Who....... the 30,000 odd people that turn up and enjoy themselves...??

I love my beer (we all do), but i'm not blinkered so much that i cant go to something and enjoy whats on offer, without crying that beer wasn't included.

Latest posts

Back