Newsflash, Sydney man buys crappy brewery and shed and makes the news

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want in on this shitty reporting of my brewery upgrades
"Muswellbrook man upgrades to 80L 3V brewery and still just uses his 20L knockout BIAB rig anyway"

I saw this this other night on tv, it interests me in that I’ve similar set ups on YouTube in NewYork for brewers running microbreweries out of their back shed, fark some of them aren’t in “ shed” they’re in a garden shed yet what they are doing is brilliant.

If hes got such an amazing setup which he uses to supply the Sydney crowd... why are all the photos of his equipment dragged out on the lawn rather than inside his shed?? Surely a set up brewery with milling area, bottling area etc would make for better pics than lawn ornaments.
He didn't want to show all the kit and kilo's stored in the shed?

Might start my own newspaper, don't seem to have to do **** all, just search the internet for shit stories to print.

old.jpg

From the article:

Wife Sheree Phillip, 33, knew nothing of her husband’s grand plan to start a brewery until he showed up with a trailer full of gear.

“He brought it home and my first reaction was WHAT HAVE YOU DONE. It was ridiculous … he’s come back with a big shed and a whole lot of brewing equipment,” she said.

Also his wife (in their Gumtree add video on Facebook):

We first came up and said "I think you should start a brewery". It sounds really mad when you're saying it. But I backed him from the get go.

I just saw the Gumtree video add. :fallingoffchair:
See how he pours the beer into the keg? Nothing like a bit of oxidised beer.

Too dumb to link but search "hop & clover" (possibly a subsidiary of Gumtree)

Oh dear. I guess he's just like the millions of youtubers who eagerly make shows of themselves doing something cluelessly for the very first time and tick it as an educational video pfffft.....
"Look at me look at me I'm on TV"

My guess is that this guy has approached all these media outlets with his story (how else would they have come to know about it?) in his vain attempt to drum up excitement about his "new venture" so his wife doesn't leave him for spending their savings on a home brewery.

To his credit though, the story definitely got out there. For a day

Ah, but the wife is in Marketing... I doubt very much he came up with the idea to go to the journos. Typical marketing strategy. First, put out a media release or talk to your buddies in the media, get a story out. Hope it gets traction and watch for money making opportunities. Such as going to Gumtree and selling your story for advertising dollars. Money, money, money for advertising Gumtree itself. https://blog.gumtree.com.au/backyard-brewery/

Hopefully enough money to pay for the overpriced equipment he bought!

Yes, hilarious kegging technique. I hope it was just for the cameras!

EDIT - Yep, that be un-milled grains being poured in. Hoping this is just for the cameras also.
Screenshot_2017-10-26_19-55-29.png Screenshot_2017-10-26_19-56-17.png

Last edited:
and the bottling :rolleyes: Decant into 2lt open jug and then funnel into bottle.

Well if they're trying to cash in on being the inspiration for people to brew they better not give links to this thread :eek:

I think the 2L bottle and funnel was just for adding the wife's "botanicals"

Ah, but the wife is in Marketing... I doubt very much he came up with the idea to go to the journos. Typical marketing strategy. First, put out a media release or talk to your buddies in the media, get a story out. Hope it gets traction and watch for money making opportunities. Such as going to Gumtree and selling your story for advertising dollars. Money, money, money for advertising Gumtree itself. https://blog.gumtree.com.au/backyard-brewery/

Hopefully enough money to pay for the overpriced equipment he bought!

Yes, hilarious kegging technique. I hope it was just for the cameras!

EDIT - Yep, that be un-milled grains being poured in. Hoping this is just for the cameras also.
View attachment 109221 View attachment 109222

To think I just dropped (read: wasted) $275 on a mini mill with hopper, when it turns out you don't even need to crack the grain! @malt junkie - I want my money back!

Latest posts

Back