Mangrove Jacks as the 2nd brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrEflord

Reaction score
Over the weekend I put down my 2nd batch. The first was the small batch 5lt (only got just over 3lts) kit from smallbatchbrew. Good first run for BIAB. Currently 1 week in the bottle so a few more to go...

This run was from a mates leftovers. Used the MJ SS fermentor and the kits that came with it. Craft series Golden lager with a few galaxy hops addition and used US 05 yeast. Which I was a little worried I should have just stuck to the orginal recipe... Oh well I guess it's all about learning right?

Anyways I follow this Stone & Wood Clone, but with a 15 and 10 minute boil. It took much longer than I thought to get it at pitching temp after sitting for 1 hour in ice. Especially as I had 10lts of fridge chilled water. Was sitting at 30" for ages. Finally got it to 21.

Was getting worried late last night when there was nothing happening in the airlock. Was thinking, do I need to add more yeast... (after all I've got the kit yeast I could throw in) But after reading and reading a number of the tips on here, I sat it out and just waited. As much as I also wanted to lift the lid and see what was going on, again I held strong and didn't touch it.

Got up this morning and could hear the airlock going off every now and then. The beauty of these crazy times we currently live in, I'm working from home. And over the last 2 hours the airlock is going off everything 15 secs. Crazy how loud that thing is as its sitting in our understairs storage area.

The hydrometer mix that I tasted was on the bitter side of things, but you could well and truly taste the hops. I had a pac ale last night and was amazed at how good the early note was on my batch.

Still early days, but I am happy so far.
07948595-2013-46CF-90B1-3CBE7E746E5F.jpegCE26A9AB-1BEC-4D29-828F-8B14CA3D9C0D_1_105_c.jpeg

If I didn't have fifteen kilos of various grains in stock I think I'd be experimenting with more kits right now.

If I didn't have fifteen kilos of various grains in stock I think I'd be experimenting with more kits right now.

I am keen to learn and see kits as a good starting point. Got to learn to crawl before you walk...

The small batch was gains, so that was good good experience. It's only a week in the bottle so I don't know what it tastes like just yet and I may continue with those, especially as it just a simple case of following the steps provided, but as I got given the kit and hops it was also a good opportunity to see what I can learn from that as well.

Airlock is now going off like a frog in a sock every 2seconds

The Mangrove Jack kits get good reviews.

They are relatively inexpensive too. Their America Pale Ale will be my next kit sometime later this year.

3 weeks in the bottle and this is tasting great. Can really smell the galaxy hops.

1 thing I have noticed and you'll see in this photo, its much darker now its been in the bottle than the original hydrometer reading (photo above).

Would this be due to oxidation?

Attachments

• Beer 1.jpg
    Beer 1.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 19
1 thing I have noticed and you'll see in this photo, its much darker now its been in the bottle than the original hydrometer reading (photo above).

Would this be due to oxidation?
I've just bottled my second ever batch (an IPA extract kit with some spec malt and extra hops), and was surprised at how dark it looked in the (clear) fermenter. When in the hydrometer test tube it looked much paler - this makes sense given more light gets through a narrow tube than a 30 litre fermenter, or for that matter a beer glass.

For a colour comparison with your original photo I suggest you pour a little from the next bottle you crack into the hydrometer tube.

When it comes to brewing I'm very wet around the ears and as for oxidization, or any other chemical process, I've got no idea.

Latest posts

Back